UCLA Urology Visiting Student Scholarship Program
The UCLA Department of Urology seeks to foster a culture in which issues of justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion underscore our missions in delivering patient care, in training the next generation of leaders in urology, and in expanding our academic reach through the pursuit of leading edge research. The UCLA Urology Visiting Student Scholarship Program provides financial support for two senior-level U.S. medical students on the UCLA Urology Sub-internship Clerkship Rotation 492.01. These students must demonstrate an interest in fostering equity, diversity, and inclusion in healthcare professions, in advancing efforts to reduce healthcare inequities, and in the pursuit of social justice.
Scholarship Goals and Information:
- To provide senior-level medical students with opportunities for exposure to the UCLA Urological Surgery Residency Training Programs.
- To guide, support, and mentor senior-level medical students who plan to pursue a career in Urology.
- To provide scholarship funding to enable students committed to promoting Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion in healthcare in order to travel to UCLA for this experience.
- Participation in this program guarantees an interview for our residency program, but does not guarantee a position for residency training.
- Two awards are available for up to $2,000 reimbursement for purposes of defraying costs related to travel and lodging in order to participate in the UCLA Urology Sub-Internship Clerkship Rotation.
- Scholarship funds will be awarded after the first day of the rotation as well as upon submission of appropriate expense-related receipts.
Our Sub-Internship Clerkship Rotation:
- The UCLA Urology Away Sub-internship 492.01 Clerkship is a three-week elective located at two of our training sites (Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center and Santa Monica UCLA Medical Center).
- Students participating in our Sub-Internship Clerkship will gain exposure to in-patient and ambulatory clinical care practice in Urology in an academic setting.
- Our clerkship provides candidates with an excellent clinical experience at a world-renowned academic medical center with a busy Urological Surgery training program
- For more information about our residency training program >
- All students with a commitment to efforts fostering activities related to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion in healthcare professions are eligible and encouraged to apply.
- Applicants must be senior-level medical students with plans to pursue residency training in Urological Surgery.
- Applicants must be in good standing at an accredited U.S. Medical School, must meet standard VSAS application requirements for the UCLA Urology 492.01 Elective, and must be available to rotate at UCLA in August – November, 2021.
Competitive applicants will have demonstrated:
- Academic achievement (indicated by transcripts and letter of recommendation included in VSAS application).
- Commitment to pursuing a career in Urological Surgery.
- An interest and commitment to fostering activities related to healthcare diversity, health inequities, or serving underserved populations.
- Additional consideration may be applied to applicants who:
- Themselves or a member of their family have been adversely affected by health inequalities related to local or systemic failures of the health care system.
- Live in a community or area that is adversely affected by health inequalities.
- These include urban or rural areas whose residents have low health status or who are underserved by the health care system.
- Have experience working in organizations or on projects that address health inequalities (local health departments, community health centers, inner city/rural hospitals, or entities that conduct research on or develop policy related to health disparities).
- Application cycle opens May 1, 2021.
- Application deadline May 31, 2021.
If you have any questions, please contact Clerkship Coordinator, Jesus Garcia, at [email protected]