Assistant Professor-in-Residence, Division of General Internal Medicine and Health Services Research, University of California, Los Angeles
Assistant Medical Director, Advance Care Planning and Services Initiative, UCLA Health System
Palliative Care Physician, Greater Los Angeles Veterans Affairs Healthcare System
Affiliated Adjunct Staff, RAND Health
Dr. Walling is a palliative care physician and PhD-trained health services researcher with a research focus on palliative care quality measurement, advance care planning, and interventions to improve the quality of care for patients with serious illness. She has a specific interest in palliative care and end stage liver disease.
Current Projects Related to GI/Liver Disease
VA HSR&D (PPO 14-372-1) “Measuring Quality of Palliative Care for Patients with End Stage Liver Disease”
- Walling AM, Schreibeis-Baum H, Pimstone N, Asch SM, Robinson L, Korlekar S, Lorenz K, Nwajuaku T, Rosenfeld K. Proactive Case Finding to Improve Concurrently Curative and Palliative Care in Patients with End-Stage Liver Disease. Journal of Palliative Medicine. 2015 Apr;18(4):378-81.
- Walling AM, Ahluwalia SC, Wenger NS, Booth M, Roth CP, Lorenz K, Kanwal F, Dy S, Asch SM. Palliative Care Cirrhosis Quality Expert Panel. Palliative Care Quality Indicators for Patients with End-Stage Liver Disease Due to Cirrhosis. Digestive Disease Sciences. 2017 Jan;62(1):84-92.
- Walling AM, Wenger NS. Palliative Care and End-Stage Liver Disease. Clinical Gastroenterology Hepatology. 2014 Apr;12(4):699-700.
- Walling AM, Lorenz K, Asch SM, Wenger NS. Impact of Consideration of Transplant on End of Life Care for Patients During a Terminal Hospitalization. Transplantation. 2013 Feb 27;95(4):641-6.
- Patel AA, Walling AM, May FP, Saab S, Wenger N. Palliative Care and Health Care Utilization for Patients with End Stage Liver Disease at the End of Life. Clinical Gastroenterology Hepatology. 2017 Feb (epub ahead of print)
- Walling AM, Keating NL, Kahn KL, Dy S, Mack JW, Malin J, Arora NK, Adams JL, Antonio ALM, and Diana T. Lower Patient Ratings of Physician Communication Are Associated with Unmet Need for Symptom Management in Patients with Lung and Colorectal Cancer. Journal of Oncology Practice. 2016 Jun;12(6):e654-69.
- Walling AM, Tisnado D, Ettner SL, Asch SM, Dy SM, Pantoja P, Lee M, Ahluwalia SC, Schreibeis-Baum H, Malin JL, Lorenz KA. Palliative Care Specialist Consultation Is Associated with Supportive Care Quality in Advanced Cancer. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management. 2016 Oct;52(4):507-514.
- D’Ambruoso SF, Coscarelli A, Hurvitz S, Wenger NS, Coniglio D, Donaldson D, Pietras C, Walling AM. Use of a Shared Mental Model by a Team Composed of Oncology, Palliative Care, and Supportive Care Clinicians to Facilitate Shared Decision Making in a Patient with Advanced Cancer. Journal of Oncology Practice. 2016 Nov;12(11):1039-1045.
- Walling AM, Weeks JC, Kahn KL, Tisnado D, Keating NL, Dy SM, Arora NK, Mack JW, Pantoja PM, Malin JL. Symptom Prevalence in Lung and Colorectal Cancer Patients. Journal of Pain Symptom Management. 2015 Feb;49(2):192-202.
- Walling AM, Tisnado D, Asch S, Malin JM, Pantoja P, Dy SM, Ettner SL, Zisser AP, Schreibeis-Baum H, Lee M, Lorenz KA. The Quality of Supportive Cancer Care in the Veterans Affairs Health System and Targets for Improvement. JAMA Internal Medicine. 2013 Dec 9-23;173(22):2071-9.