Find your care
Our internship is on pause until further notice as of September 2021. We will not be reviewing applications until our internship program has resumed. Please call Kelli Carroll at 310-267-9435 to confirm our internship program status before submitting an application.
Photo taken post music therapy session and after gifting patient with a donated ukulele from the ukulele kids club and the cc Strummers. Music therapy session utilized play therapy and music improvisation techniques along with various music interventions within the therapeutic relationship to build rapport, create opportunities for autonomy and promote emotional expression/processing.
“Her mother was amazed. Her jaw dropped and she said 'It's like magic...' Music therapy awakened her imagination and creativity. This is the first time that she has smiled let alone spoke, sang and played while at the hospital. She's been afraid of all the hospital staff and the only times she had been calm was when she was playing on her iPad. To see her playing and interacting and processing her experience is the greatest gift."
The Expressive Arts Therapies program at UCLA Mattel Children’s Hospital provides a Music Therapy internship program for eligible Music Therapy students who are working towards their board certification in Music Therapy. The program is a 1040-hour clinical internship comprised of clinical supervision, direct service, evaluation, professional development, multidisciplinary collaboration, clinical documentation, assessment and additional educational opportunities. The Music Therapy supervisor works closely with the university internship coordinator to develop an individual education plan and internship experience for each intern. Music Therapy interns will gain experience providing direct Music Therapy service on all inpatient pediatric units at the Westwood and Santa Monica hospital locations.
The Music Therapy internship at UCLA Mattel Children’s hospital has an intensive curriculum that focuses heavily on self-awareness and building resilience as a clinician while simultaneously building skills and studying clinical interventions and philosophies of practice. Our curriculum includes professional and personal development exercises, weekly intensive group supervision experiences, weekly individual supervision and monthly team retreats focused on self-care. Interns are provided with a well-rounded and multi-faceted internship experience which provides resources, insight and practical opportunities to delve into specialty areas such as NICU Music Therapy, humanistic and psychotherapy approaches and Neurologic Music Therapy and Medical Music Therapy approaches. The UCLA Mattel Music Therapy internship is one of a kind, innovative and genuinely supportive of the individual student’s growth process.”
- Current enrollment in accredited Music Therapy program (Bachelor’s, Master’s or equivalency)
- Previous experience in pediatric medical setting required
- Completed Application Form
- Official transcripts
- Letter of eligibility from university department chair
- Two letters of reference from Music Therapy professor or practicum supervisor
- Completion of interview (can be done over skype or in person)
- Three application videos (see application for instructions and requirements)
- Student’s University must have pre-approved affiliation agreement with UCLA Mattel Children’s Hospital prior to intern’s formal acceptance
For the fall term (September-March) Application deadline is April 1st. The Spring term (March-September) application deadline is October 1st.
Download our Music Therapy Internship Application.
- Health Clearance Form must be completed by primary care physician (includes 2 TB tests, basic physical, proof of immunizations, drug test)
- Criminal background check (out of state applicants required to complete one criminal background check remotely before start of internship and additional background check upon entering California)
- Proof of Liability Insurance
- Completion of required paperwork and coordination with Music Therapy supervisor
Please note there is no housing, parking or stipend provided for this internship. On campus parking costs $12 per day. If Music Therapy interns plan to park on campus, it is recommended to purchase a university parking pass. More information will be provided to prospective interns during the interview process.