Dr. Nsair is the Director of the Heart Transplantation and Mechanical Circulatory Support Program at UCLA. As well, he is a member of the Interventional and structural program at UCLA. He received his MD from the University of Alberta, where he also completed his Internal Medicine residency and Cardiology fellowship. He received advanced training in Advanced Heart Failure and Interventional Cardiology at UCLA Medical Center and a post-doctoral fellowship in Regenerative Therapies. His research interests include cardiovascular regenerative and rejuvenation therapies, as well as advanced studies of mechanical circulatory support devices in cardiogenic shock and novel heart failure medical therapies.
Dr. Nsair has strong interest in sports medicine and extensive expertise in managing cardiovascular disease in patients of all athletic levels. As well he is a skilled proceduralist in coronary and structural heart interventions. Current research interest focuses on implantable and wearable technologies in heart failure patients and athletics. Furthermore, his research interest involves mechanical circulatory support in patients with advanced heart failure and cardiogenic shock. He is involved in multiple clinical and translational trials and is the PI for a basic and translational research lab.
Medical Board Certifications
- Nsair A, Archer S, London B, Hashimoto K, Michelakis E "Selective Loss of Hypoxic Pulmonary Vasoconstriction in Swap Kv 1.1-1.5 Mice." Am. J. Resp. Crit. Care Med. 2001 July,1-235.
- Archer SL, Wu XC, Thebaud B, Nsair A, Bonnet S, Tyrrell B, McMurtry MS, Hashimoto K, Harry G, Michelakis ED "Preferential expression and function of voltage-gated, O2-sensitive K+ channels in resistance pulmonary arteries explains regional heterogeneity in hypoxic pulmonary vasoconstriction: ionic diversity in smooth muscle cells." Circ. Res. 2004 Aug 6; 95(3): 308-18.
- Michelakis ED, Rebeyka I, Wu X, Nsair A, Thebaud B, Hashimoto K, Dyck JR, Harmony A, Harry G, Barr A, Archer SL "O2 sensing in the human ductus arteriosus: regulation of voltage-gated K+ channels in smooth muscle cells by a mitochondrial redox sensor." Circ. Res. 2002 Sep; 91(6):478-86.
- Michelakis ED, Hampl V, Nsair A, Wu X, Harry G, Haromy A, Gurtu R, Archer SL. "Diversity in mitochondrial function explains differences in vascular oxygen sensing." Circ. Res. 2002 Jun; 90(12):1307-15.
- Archer SL, London B, Hampl V, Wu X, Nsair A, Puttagunta L, Hashimoto K, Waite RE, Michelakis ED. "Impairment of hypoxic pulmonary vasoconstriction in mice lacking the voltage-gated potassium channel Kv 1.5." FASEB J. 2001 Aug; 15(10):1801-3.
- Michelakis ED, Weir EK, Wu X, Nsair A, Waite R, Hashimoto K, Puttagunta L, Knaus HG, Archer SL. "Potassium channels regulate tone in rat pulmonary veins." Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2001 June; 280(6):L1138-47.
- Schenke-Layland K, Stock UA, Nsair A, Xie J, Angelis E, Fonseca CG, Larbig R, Mahajan A, Shivkumar K, Fishbein MC, Maclellan WR. "Cardiomyopathy is associated with structuralremodeling of heart valve extracellular matrix." Eur. Heart J. 2009 Sep;30(18):2254-65
- Nsair A, Schenke-Layland K. Invited commentary. Ann. Thoracic Surg. 2009 Aug;88(2):513-4.
- Schenke-Layland K, Nsair A, Van Handel B, Angelis E, Gluck JM, Votteler M, Goldhaber JI, Mikkola HK, Kahn M, Maclellan WR. "Recapitulation of the embryonic cardiovascular progenitor cell niche." Biomaterials. 2011 Apr;32(11):2748-56.
- Nsair A, W.R. MacLellan "Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells for Regenerative Cardiovascular Therapies and Biomedical Discovery." Adv. Drug Deliv. Rev. 2011 Apr 30;63(4-5):324-30.
- Nsair A, Schenke-Layland K, Van Handel B, H. Mikkola, W.R. MacLellan "Characterization and Therapeutic Potential of Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell-Derived Cardiovascular Progenitor Cells." PLoS ONE, Oct. 2012.
- Votteler M, Carvajal Berrio DA, Horke A, Sabatier L, Reinhardt DP, Nsair A, Aikawa E, Schenke-Layland K. "Elastogenesis at the onset of human cardiac valve development." Development. 2013 May 1. PMID: 23637335.
- Yagishita D, Ajijola OA, Vaseghi M, Nsair A, Zhou W, Yamakawa K, Tung R, Mahajan A, Shivkumar K. "Electrical homogenization of ventricular scar by application of collagenase: a novel strategy for arrhythmia therapy." Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol. 2013 Aug 1;6(4):776-83. doi: 10.1161/CIRCEP.113.000448.
- Cheng RK, Depasquale EC, Deng MC, Nsair A, Horwich TB. "Obesity in heart failure: impact on survival and treatment modalities." Expert Rev Cardiovasc Ther. 2013 Aug 14.
- Sasikanth Adigopula, MD, Rey P. Vivo, MD, Eugene C. DePasquale, MD, Ali Nsair, MD, Mario C. Deng, MD, FESC "Management of ACCF/AHA Stage C Heart Failure." Cardiol Clin. 2014 Feb;32(1):73-93.
- Nsair A, Liem DA, Cadeiras M, Cheng RK, Allareddy M, Kwon M, Shemin R, Deng MC. "Molecular basis of recovering on mechanical circulatory support." Heart Fail Clin. 2014 Jan;10(1 Suppl):S57-62.
- Ling Wu, Carolina Bluguermann, Levon Kyupelyan, Brooke Latour, Stephanie Gonzalez, Saumya Shah, Zoran Galic, Sundi Ge, Yuhua Zhu, Frank A. Petrigliano, Ali Nsair, Santiago G. Miriuka, Xinmin Li, Karen M. Lyons, Gay M. Crooks, David R. McAllister, Ben Van Handel, John S. Adams, and Denis Evseenko "Human Developmental Chondrogenesis as a Basis for Engineering Chondrocytes from Pluripotent Stem Cells." Stem Cell Reports, Dec 12, 2013.
In the News
- Super Doctors® Southern California, 2023
- Super Doctors® Southern California, 2022
- Top Doctors, Los Angeles Magazine, 2022