Medical Board Certification
Cardiovascular Disease, American Board of Internal Medicine, 2006
Cardiovascular Disease, UCLA School of Medicine, 2005
Internal Medicine, UCLA School of Medicine, 2002
Internal Medicine, UCLA School of Medicine, 2001
MD, UCLA School of Medicine, 2000
PhD, UCLA School of Medicine, 1995
The role of oxidized phospholipid in atherosclerosis and inflammation.
- Watson, A., M. Navab, S. Y. Hama, A. Sevanian, S.M. Prescott, D. M. Stafforini, T. M. Mcintyre, B. N. La Du, AM. Fogelman, and J. A. Berliner, Effect of platelet activating factor-acetylhydrolase on the formation and action of minimally oxidized low density lipoprotein, J. Clin. Invest., 95:774-782, 1995.
- Berliner, J. A., M. Navab, A.M. Fogelman, J. S. Frank, L. L. Derner, P. A. Edwards, Watson, A., and A. J. Lusis.• Atherosclerosis: basic mechanisms. Oxidation, inflammation, and genetics, Circulation, 91:2488-2496, 1995.
- Navab, M., A. M. Fogelman, J. A. Berliner, M. C. Territo, L. L. Derner, J. S. Frank, Watson, A., P. A. Edwards, A. J. Lusis, Pathogenesis of Atherosclerosis, Am. J. Card, 76:18C-23C, 1995.
- Watson, A., J. A. Berliner, S. Y. Hama, B. N. La Du, K. F. Faull, A. M. Fogelman, and M. Navab, Protective effect of HDL associated paraoxonase on the formation and action of minimally oxidized low density lipoprotein, J. Clin. Invest., 96:2882-2891, 1995.
- Berliner, J. A. and Watson, A., The role of oxidized lipids in cardiovascular disease, in Active Oxygen: Reactive Oxygen Species in Biochemistry, (Valentine, J. S., C. S. Foote, A. Greenberg, and J. F. Leibman, eds.) Chapman Hall, 1995.
- Navab, M., J. A. Berliner, Watson, A., S. Y. Hama, M. C. Territo, A. J. Lusis, D. M. Shih, B. J. Van Lenten, J. S. Frank, L. L. Derner, and P. A. Edwards, The Yin and Yang of oxidation in the development of the fatty streak. A review based on the 1994 George Lyman Duff Memorial Lecture, Arterioscler., Thromb., Vase. Bioi., 16:831-42, 1996.
- Berliner, J. A., N. Leitinger, Watson, A., J. Huber, A. M. Fogelman, and M. Navab, Oxidized lipids in atherogenesis: Formation, destruction, and action, Thromb. Haemostasis, 78:195-199, 1997.
- Parhami, F., A. D. Morrow, J. Balucan, N. Leitinger, Watson, A., Y. Tintut, J. A. Berliner, and L. L. Derner, Lipid oxidation products have opposite effects on calcifying vascular cell and bone cell differentiation: A possible explanation for the paradox of arterial calcification in osteoporotic patients, Arterioscler. Thromb. Vase. Biol., 17:680688, 1997.
- Vora, D. K., Z.-T. Fang, S. M. Liva, T. R. Tyner, F. Parhami, Watson, A., T. A. Drake, M. C. Territo, and J. A. Berliner, Induction of P-selectin by oxidized lipoproteins: separate effects on synthesis and surface expression, Circulation Res., 80:810-818, 1997.
- Watson, A., N. Leitinger, M. Navab, K. F. Faull, S. Horkko, J. L. Witztum, W. Palinski, D. Schwenke, R. G. Salomon, W. Sha, G. Subbanagounder, A. M. Fogelman, and J. A. Berliner, Structural identification by mass spectrometry of oxidized phospholipids in minimally oxidized low density lipoprotein that induce monocyte/endothelial interactions and evidence of their presence in vivo, J. Biol. Chem., 272:13597-13607, 1997.
- UCLA Cardiology Fellowship Teaching Award, 2005
- Edith and Carl Lasky Memorial Award for Distinguished Research Achievement as a Medical Student, 2000
- 1st Annual George J. Popjak Scholar, 1999
- American Heart Association Greater Los Angeles Affiliate Laverna Titus Young Investigator's Forum, Grand Prize: Best Overall Presentation in Clinical and Basic Research, 1995
- UCLA Alumni Graduate Distinguished Scholar, 1993