Dr. Anthony Arnold is Director, UCLA Optic Neuropathy Center, and has a research interest in ischemic and inflammatory optic neuropathies. He has authored several texts and more than 100 research publications in neuro-ophthalmology. He has served as the UCLA ophthalmology residency program director from 1994-2017, and currently is Vice Chair for Education in the department. He has also served as the President of the national AUPO Ophthalmology Program Directors Council, Director of the American Board of Ophthalmology, Chair of the ACGME Residency Review Committee for Ophthalmology, member of the ACGME Board of Directors, Chair of the ACGME Ophthalmology Milestones Development Group, and President and Chairman of the Board of the North American NeuroOphthalmology Society
Medical Board Certification
Ophthalmology, American Board of Ophthalmology, 1980
UCLA School of Medicine, 1983
VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, 1979
David Grant U.S.A.F. Medical Center, 1976
UCLA School of Medicine, MD, 1975
- Miller NR, Arnold AC. Current concepts in the diagnosis, pathogenesis, and management of nonarteritic anterior ischemic optic neuropathy. Eye (London) 2015;29:65-79.
- Lee AG, Arnold AC. The Next Accreditation System in ophthalmology. Surv Ophthalmol 2015;60:82-5.
- Arnold AC. Ischemic Optic Neuropathy: The Evolving Profile, 1966-2015. The 14th Hoyt Lecture. J Neuro-Ophthalmol 2016;36:208-15.
- Apinyawasisuk S, Chan JW, Arnold AC. Trauma-associated Leber hereditary optic neuropathy. Neuro-Ophthalmology 2016;40:192-6.
- Oetting T, Alfonso E, Arnold A, et al. Integrating the internship into ophthalmology residency programs: AUPO AAO white paper. Ophthalmology 2016;123:2037-41.
- Vazquez JA, Arnold AC, Swanson R, et al. Safety of long-term use of linezolid: results of an open-label, Phase 3b study. Ther Clin Risk Manag 2016;12:1347-54
- Cestari DM, Arnold AC. Does nocturnal hypotension play a causal role in nonarteritic anterior ischemic optic neuropathy?. J Neuro-Ophthalmol 2016;36:329-33.
- Subramanian PS, Gordon LK, Bonelli L, Arnold AC. Progression of asymptomatic optic disc swelling to non-arteritic anterior ischemic optic neuropathy. Br J Ophthalmol 2017;101:671-5
- Apinyawasisuk S, McCannel T, Arnold AC. A new classification for optic disc melanocytoma. Ocular Oncol Pathol 2017;3:142-8.
- Chang MY, Phasukkijwatana N, Garrity S, Pineles SL, Rahimi M, Sarraf D, Johnston M, Charles A, Arnold AC. Foveal and peripapillary vascular decrement in migraine with aura demonstrated by optical coherence tomography angiography (OCTA). Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci, 2017;58:5477-84.
- Chang MY, Velez FG, Demer JL, Bonelli L, Quiros PA, Arnold AC, Sadun AA, Pineles SL. Accuracy of diagnostic imaging modalities for classifying pediatric eyes as papilledema versus pseudopapilledema. Ophthalmology, 2017;124:1839-48.
- 2015 Life Achievement Honor Award American Academy of Ophthalmology
- 2015 ACGME Parker J. Palmer Courage to Teach Award
- 2014 NANOS Distinguished Service Award
- 2005 Straatsma Award for Excellence in Residency Education, American Academy of Ophthalmology, Association of University Professors of Ophthalmology
- 2005 Secretariat Award, American Academy of Ophthalmology
- 2004 Ben Goldfeller Award, Distinguished Service Associate Examiner, American Board of Ophthalmology
- 2002 Senior Honor Award, American Academy of Ophthalmology, Orlando, Florida