Dr. Gomez is a graduate of the University of California at Irvine where he majored in biological sciences. He received his medical degree from the UCLA School of Medicine in 1986 and finished his residency training in Internal Medicine at the UCLA-San Fernando Valley Program at Olive View-UCLA Medical Center. He subsequently received further training as a General Internal Medicine Fellow at UCLA's Kennamer Fellowship Program and as a Faculty Medical Education Fellow at David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA's Center of Medical Education, Research and Development. He was the recipient of one of the Excellence in Medical Education awards for David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA in 2000 and Visiting Professor for the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, Medical Hispanic Center of Excellence (HRSA) in 2007. For over 30 years, his focus is on educating the next generation of physicians.
He has focused his research on medical education, cross-cultural medicine, and system-based care education for physicians-in-training. He is also known for his work on curriculum development for medical students and residents in these areas as they relate to General Internal Medicine and Doctor-Patient Communications. Since 2021, he is Co-Director of the course Foundations of Practice for the David Geffen School of Medicine where first year medical students learn the art of the profession.
Medical Board Certifications
- Gomez AG, Cifuentes-Henderson P, Chirra A, Guiton G, Wilkerson L, Patient-centered care: an experiential cultural competence curriculum for medical students. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 20 (1); 35, 2006
- Gomez AG, Cifuentes-Henderson P, Fung G, Wilkerson L, That's Grey's not Gray's anatomy: Using the arts to teach during a third year clerkship. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 21 (4):185, 2007.
- Carter-Pokras O, Acosta DA, Lie D, Bereknyei S, DeLisser H, Haidet P, Gill A, Hildebrandt C, Crandall S, Kondwani K, Glick S. National Consortium for Multicultural Education for Health Professionals. Curricular Products from the National Consortium for Multicultural Education for Health Professionals. MDNG: Focus on Multicultural Healthcare. 2009
- Carter-Pokras O, Bereknyei S, Lie D, Braddock C, National Consortium for Multicultural Education for Health Professionals Surmounting the Unique Challenges in Health Disparities Education: A Multi-Institution Qualitative Study. Journal of General Internal Medicine: 25, ( 2): 108, 2010. PMID 20352503
- Thompson BM, Haidet P, Casanova R, Vivo R, Gomez AG, Brown AF, Richter RA, MA5, Crandall SJ. Journal of General Internal Medicine: 25, ( 2): 115-118, 2010. PMID 20352500
- Fung C. Richter Lagha R. Henderson P. Gomez AG. Working with interpreters: how student behavior affects quality of patient interaction when using interpreters. Med Educ Online 2010; 15:5151.doi: 10.3402/meo.v15i0.5151. PMID 20532030
- Lie D, Lee-Ray E, Gomez AG, Bereknyei S, Braddock C. Does Cultural Competency Training of Health Professionals Improve Patient Outcomes? A Systematic Review and Proposed Algorithm for Future Research Journal of General Internal Medicine 26 (3) 317-25, 2011 PMID 20953728
- Sikon A, Clay MA, Lypson M, Gomez AG, Kennedy-Malone L, Bussey-Jones J, Bowen JL. Teaching while learning while practicing: Reframing faculty development for the Patient Centered Medical Home Academic Medicine 88 (9) 1215-1219, 2013 PMID 23887006
- Lypson M, Ross PT, Purkiss JA, Uijtdehaage S, Gomez A, Grum CM. Assessing the Feasibility and Construct Validity of Cross-Cultural Care Competency with the Script Concordance Test. MedEdWorld 2015. Available http://www.mededworld.org/MedEdWorld-Papers.aspx
- Zuchowski JL, Hamilton AB, Washington DL, Gomez AG, Veet L, Cordasco KM., Drivers of Continuing Education Learning Preferences for Veterans Affairs Women's Health Primary Care Providers. J Contin Educ Health Prof. 2017 Summer;37(3):168-172. doi: 10.1097/CEH.0000000000000164. PMID: 28817394
- Society of General Internal Medicine, California Region, Clinician Teacher Award, 1999-2000
- UCLA School of Medicine Award for Excellence in Education, 2000
- UCLA-San Fernando Valley Program in Internal Medicine, Career Contributions, May 2005
- Visiting Professor: University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, Medical Hispanic Center of Excellence (HRSA) 2007.