With over 15 years of experience in Ophthalmology, Dr. Jafri holds the position of Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology at University of California, Los Angeles. She is Board Certified with the American Board of Ophthalmology and a fellowship trained cornea specialist, with areas of expertise including all areas of general ophthalmology, general eye care, refraction, cataract, glaucoma, diabetic retinopathy, dry eye, allergic conjunctivitis, and also subspecialized care of corneal problems including LASIK, refractive surgery, pterygium, corneal transplants, penetrating keratoplasty, endothelial keratoplasty (DSAEK), surface disease, surface malignancies, Intacs, and Implantable Contact Lens.
Dr. Jafri graduated summa cum laude as well as Phi Beta Kappa in Organic Chemistry from the University of Oklahoma, Norman. She went on to earn her Master’s degree in Biological Chemistry at UCLA, while on a full dean’s scholarship. She earned her M.D. from the University of Oklahoma College of Medicine, maintaining the prestigious status of Alpha Omega Alpha. She completed her internship and ophthalmology residency at the world-renowned Jules Stein Eye Institute at UCLA. She went on for subspecialty training after completing her residency, and received a Cornea/External Disease and Refractive Surgery fellowship at Emory University in Atlanta. After her fellowship, Dr. Jafri returned to Los Angeles and has been on the faculty at UCLA since.
Dr. Jafri offers personalized excellence and world-class eye care to all patients. Dr. Jafri trains doctors in medical and surgical ophthalmology, and in corneal and external disease and surgery. She also has publications in major journals including Journal of Family Practice, Cornea, Archives of Ophthalmolgy, and Journal of Refractive Surgery.
Medical Board Certification
- Mold JW, Hamm RM, Jafri B. The Effect of Labeling on Perceived Ability to Recover from Acute Illnesses and Injuries. J Fam Pract 49 (5): 437-440, May 2000.
- Jafri B, Lichter H, Stulting RD. Asymmetric Keratoconus Attributed to Eye Rubbing. Cornea (6): 560-4, August 2004.
- Russell G, Jafri B, Lichter H, Waring GO. Late Onset Decreased vision in a Steroid Responder after LASIK Associated with Interface Fluid. J Refractive Surgery 20 (1): 91-2, Jan-Feb 2004.
- Jafri B, Li X, Yang H, Rabinowitz YS. Higher order wavefront aberrations and topography in early and suspected keratoconus.J Refract Surgery 23 (8): 774-81, Oct. 2007.
- Lichter H, Jafri B, Edelhauser HE, Song CD. Successfully Treated Paecilomyces Keratitis. Archives of Ophthalmology.
- Eye Birth Defects Foundation- Humanitarian Award for Surgical Mission to Amman, Jordan, for Iraqi children- 2007
- Alpha Omega Alpha 1997
- Finalist for Vernino-Vannatta for Clinical Excellence, 1996
- Excellence in Research Award (Alpha Omega Alpha), 1995
- McGraw-Hill Award for Outstanding Medical Student, 1995
- President's Medal for 4.0 G.P.A., 1993
- President's Honor Roll (six semesters), 1991-1993
- Dean's Honor Roll (six semesters) 1991-1993
- Phi Beta Kappa, 1992
- Golden Key National Honor Society, 1992
- Outstanding Senior, Golden Key National Honor Society, 1992
- Phi Lambda Upsilon Honorary Chemical Society, 1991
- Honors Students Association, University of Oklahoma, 1991-1993