Dr. Bert is an Assistant Professor in the cornea division at the Doheny Eye Center UCLA. He is an honors graduate of both UCLA (2004 - BS Physiological Sciences) and SUNY Upstate Medical University (2008 - MD). He completed his internship in internal medicine (2009) at the St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center, the University Hospital for Columbia University in Manhattan, where he was named the outstanding preliminary intern. Dr. Bert then completed his ophthalmology residency at the prestigious New York Eye and Ear Infirmary (2012), where he was unanimously elected chief resident by the faculty, staff, and residents. At the end of his training, he received the award for the most outstanding resident.
Dr. Bert went on to complete a cornea and external disease fellowship at the Doheny Eye Institute, then at USC (2013). As part of his fellowship, he also trained in the care of pediatric cornea and external disease at the Children's Hospital of Los Angeles (CHLA). After three years in private practice with his father and receiving teaching awards from the residency programs at both UCSF and the California Pacific Medical Center, Dr. Bert returned to become a faculty member in the now partnered Doheny and Stein Eye Institutes at the David Geffen School of Medicine, UCLA.
Dr. Bert's practice includes caring for patients with many different types of ophthalmic issues ranging from dry eye and external ocular diseases to LASIK / PRK and advanced cataract surgery; this includes the use of toric and EDOF/multifocal intraocular lenses. He also cares for complex corneal disorders with both medical and surgical management; including, corneal collagen crosslinking, PKP, DALK, DSAEK, and surgeries for the ocular surface.
Medical Board Certifications
- Top Doctors, Los Angeles Magazine, 2021
- Super Doctors® Southern California Rising Stars 2019
- Resident Teaching Award - UCSF 2014
- Resident Teaching Award - California Pacific Medical Center 2014
- Austen T. Gray Memorial Scholarship - NYEE 2012
- Outstanding Preliminary Intern - St Luke's Roosevelt Hospital System 2009
- SUNY Chancellor's Award for Student Excellence - 2008
- A. Geno Andreatta Student Affairs Award - 2008
- Gold Humanism Honor Society - 2007
- Syracuse Medical Alumni Citizen Award - 2006
- UCLA College Honors - 2004
- Golden Key International Honour Society - 2003
- Bay Area Bruins Alumni Scholarship and UCLA Alumni Scholar - 2000-2004