Dr. Boback Ziaeian is an Assistant Professor of Medicine at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA in the Division of Cardiology. He graduated from the University of California, Irvine School of Medicine. He completed his Internal Medicine training at Yale-New Haven Hospital. He completed his UCLA STAR fellowship in Cardiovascular Diseases and doctorate degree in Health Policy and Management at UCLA’s Fielding School of Public Health in 2016. His research focuses on disparities and high-utilization of hospital services for heart failure patients. Dr. Ziaeian is the recipient of the American College of Cardiology Presidential Career Development Award for 2017 as well as a 3-year American Heart Association Scientist Development Grant. He is an early career investigator for the NIH-funded UC END-DISPARITIES Center. He is the Chair-Elect of the 2024 ACA/AHA Committee for Performance Measurement. His primary research interests are in cardiovascular outcomes research, disparities in cardiovascular care, cost-effectiveness, and the quality of heart failure management.
Medical Board Certifications
- Cardiovascular Disparities and Outcomes
- Population Health Management
- Telecardiology, Performance Measure
- Health Services Research
- 2019 ACC/AHA Guideline on the Primary Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease: A Report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Clinical Practice Guidelines. Arnett DK, Blumenthal RS, Albert MA, Buroker AB, Goldberger ZD, Hahn EJ, Himmelfarb CD, Khera A, Lloyd-Jones D, McEvoy JW, Michos ED, Miedema MD, Muñoz D, Smith SC Jr, Virani SS, Williams KA Sr, Yeboah J, Ziaeian B.Circulation. 2019 Sep 10;140(11):e596-e646. doi: 10.1161/CIR.0000000000000678. Epub 2019 Mar 17.
- Heart Failure Epidemiology and Outcomes Statistics: A Report of the Heart Failure Society of America. Bozkurt B, Ahmad T, Alexander KM, Baker WL, Bosak K, Breathett K, Fonarow GC, Heidenreich P, Ho JE, Hsich E, Ibrahim NE, Jones LM, Khan SS, Khazanie P, Koelling T, Krumholz HM, Khush KK, Lee C, Morris AA, Page RL 2nd, Pandey A, Piano MR, Stehlik J, Stevenson LW, Teerlink JR, Vaduganathan M, Ziaeian B; Writing Committee Members.J Card Fail. 2023 Oct;29(10):1412-1451. doi: 10.1016/j.cardfail.2023.07.006. Epub 2023 Sep 26.
- Development and Optimization of the Veterans Affairs' National Heart Failure Dashboard for Population Health Management. Brownell N, Kay C, Parra D, Anderson S, Ballister B, Cave B, Conn J, Dev S, Kaiser S, ROGERs J, Touloupas AD, Verbosky N, Yassa NM, Young E, Ziaeian B.J Card Fail. 2023 Sep 25:S1071-9164(23)00343-3. doi: 10.1016/j.cardfail.2023.08.024. Online ahead of print.PMID: 37757994
- Geographic Variation in the Quality of Heart Failure Care Among U.S. Veterans. Kosaraju RS, Fonarow GC, Ong MK, Heidenreich PA, Washington DL, Wang X, Ziaeian B.JACC Heart Fail. 2023 Nov;11(11):1534-1545. doi: 10.1016/j.jchf.2023.06.010. Epub 2023 Aug 2.PMID: 37542510
- Expenditure on Heart Failure in the United States: The Medical Expenditure Panel Survey 2009-2018. Bhatnagar R, Fonarow GC, Heidenreich PA, Ziaeian B.JACC Heart Fail. 2022 Aug;10(8):571-580. doi: 10.1016/j.jchf.2022.05.006. Epub 2022 Jul 6.PMID: 35902161
- US Surveillance of Acute Ischemic Stroke Patient Characteristics, Care Quality, and Outcomes for 2019. Ziaeian B, Xu H, Matsouaka RA, Xian Y, Khan Y, Schwamm LS, Smith EE, Fonarow GC.Stroke. 2022 Nov;53(11):3386-3393. doi: 10.1161/STROKEAHA.122.039098. Epub 2022 Jul 18.PMID: 35862201
- National Trends in Heart Failure Hospitalization and Readmissions Associated With Policy Changes-Reply. Agarwal MA, Fonarow GC, Ziaeian B.JAMA Cardiol. 2022 Jan 1;7(1):115. doi: 10.1001/jamacardio.2021.4419.PMID: 34730786
- Google Scholar listing