Bonnie T. Zima, MD
Bonnie T. Zima, MD, MPH is Professor-in-Residence specializing in Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, Associate Director of the UCLA Center for Health Services and Society, and Associate Chair for Academic Affairs for the UCLA Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences. Dr. Zima's research is dedicated to improving the quality of child mental health care, with priority placed on children enrolled in Medicaid-funded outpatient programs and underserved, at-risk child populations. Her research spans identification of high unmet need for mental health care among high-risk child populations, national pediatric hospitalization resource utilization and costs, the validity of national quality measures, pediatric integrated care models, pediatric workforce development, and application of technologies and clinical informatics to improve child mental health care.
Her research has received all three national research awards from the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry (AACAP). In addition, Dr. Zima is a Member of the U.S. Child and Adult Core Set Annual Review Workgroup, Center for Medicaid and CHIP Services, Vice-Chair of the American Psychiatric Association (APA) Council on Quality Care, standing member of the Behavioral Health and Substance Abuse Steering Committee for the National Quality Forum, and AACAP Committee on Research. She is a Consulting Editor for the Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, Deputy Editor for the Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychopharmacology, and Distinguished Fellow of AACAP and APA.
Medical Board Certifications
- Child mental health services research.
Dr. Zima's earlier research was dedicated to examining high unmet need for mental health services among high-risk child populations. Her more recent work has focused on quality of care for children in the public mental health system. She led the first statewide study on quality of care for children receiving publicly-funded specialty mental health services in California, and is currently completing a study examining quality of care for ADHD in primary care and specialty mental health care within the nation's largest managed care Medicaid program.
- Alinsky RH, Zima BT, Rodean J, Matson PA. Larachelle MR, Adger H, Bagley SM, Hadland SE. Receipt of addiction treatment after opioid overdose among Medicaid-enrolled youth. JAMA Pediatrics. 2020:e195183. doi: 10.1001/jamapediatrics.2019.5183. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID:
- Bardach NS, Doupnik SK, Rodean J, Zima BT, Gay JC, Nash C, Tanguturi Y, Coker T. Follow-up after mental health hospitalization and association with subsequent crises. Pediatrics. e pub 5/13/2020. doi: 10.1542/peds.2015-0001
Barnert E, Abrams L, Lopez N, Sun A, Tran J, Zima B, Chung P. Parent and provider perspectives on recently incarcerated youths' access to healthcare during community reentry. Child and Youth Services Review (in press).
Doupnik SK, Rodean J, Feinstein J, Gay JC, Simmons J, Bettenhausen JL, Markham JL, Hall M, Zima BT, Berry JG. Healthcare utilization and spending for children with mental health conditions in Medicaid. Academic Pediatrics. 2020. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acap.2020.01.013
- Zima BT. Measurement-based data to monitor quality: Why specification at the population level matters. Clin N America (in press).
- Choi, K. R., Stewart, T., Fein, E., McCreary, M., Kenan, K., Davies, J., Naureckas, S., & Zima, B. (2020). The impact of attachment-disrupting adverse childhood experiences (ACEs) on child behavioral health. Journal of Pediatrics, 221, 224-229.
- Zima BT. U.S. Child behavioral health quality measures: advancing a national research agenda J Ab Psychology. Published on line April 14, 2020. DOI: 10.1007/s10802-020-00640-9
- Varigonda A, Edgcomb JB, Zima BT. The impact of exercise in improving executive function impairments among children and adolescents with ADHD, Autism Spectrum Disorder, and Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Archives of Clinical Psychiatry (in press).
- Kerner B, Carlson M, Karp-Eskin C, Tseng CH, Hoe JG, Zima B, Leader E. Trends in the utilization of a peer-supported youth hotline. Child and Adolescent Mental Health. E pub 4/24/2020 DOI: 10.1111/camh.12394
- Lintzenich-Andrews A, Bettenhausen J, Hoefgen E, Richardson T, Macy ML, Zima BT, Colvin J, Hall M, Shah SS, Neff JM, Auger KA. Measures of ED utilization in a national cohort of children. Am J Manag Care. 2020 Jun;26(6):267-272. doi: 10.37765/ajmc.2020.43490. PMID: 32549064.
- Benson NM, Edgcomb JE, Landman AB, Zima BT. Leveraging clinical informatics to improve child mental health care. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2020 (in press).
- Super Doctors® Southern California, 2023