Brandon Ito, MD, MPH completed his undergraduate degree in Human Development with dual minor studies in Psychology and Healthcare & Social Issues from the University of California, San Diego. He completed medical training at the University of California, Irvine School of Medicine and masters degree in public health (MPH) at the Harvard University School of Public Health with a concentration in Family and Community Health. Dr. Ito completed his adult psychiatry training at the University of California, San Francisco and completed additional training in LGBT mental health and global health through the UCSF Clinical Scholars Program. Dr. Ito completed his Child & Adolescent Psychiatry fellowship at New York University and Bellevue Hospital, where he served as Chief Fellow. Awards include the Gold Humanism Society award, Department of Psychiatry Outstanding Faculty Housestaff Teaching Award, and Kaiser-Permanente| Award for Excellence in Teaching from the David Geffen School of Medicine. He is also the immediate past president of the Southern California Society of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry.
Dr. Ito is passionate about medical education and teaching, LGBTQ mental health, and reducing health care disparities in vulnerable populations. Dr. Ito is a designated UCLA Health LGBTQ Champion and faculty in the UCLA LGBTQ Primary Care Fellowship and UCLA Medical Education Fellowship. Additional clinical roles include supervising attending in the UCLA Child & Adult Neurodevelopmental Clinic (CAN), hospital attending on the child and adolescent psychiatry inpatient and eating disorder services at the Ronald Reagan Neuropsychiatric Hospital, and behavioral health provider with the UCLA Gender Health Program. Educational roles include Psychiatry Core Clerkship Chair, Educator for Excellence at the David Geffen School of Medicine, Co-Director of the Klingenstein Third Generation Foundation Medical Student Program, Psychiatry Interest Group faculty supervisor and Director of Justice, Equity, Diversity & Inclusion at the Tarjan Center at UCLA.
300 UCLA Medical Plaza
Los Angeles, California 90095
Medical Board Certifications
Areas of Focus
- Janssen A, Ito BS (2018). Gender Dysphoria and Psychotic Spectrum Disorders. In Janssen A, Liebowitz S (Ed), Affirmative Mental Health Care for Transgender and Gender Diverse Youth: A Clinical Guide (pp 181-188). Cham, Switzerland: Springer International Publishing.
- Ito BS (2018). DACA, DREAMers & Mental Health. The Southern California Society of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry Newsletter. Available at http://www.scscap.org/assets/scscap-newsletter-2018.pdf.
- Betancourt TS, Abdi S, Ito BS, Lilienthal GM, Agalab N, Ellis H (2015). We Left One War and Came to Another: Resource Loss, Acculturative Stress, and Caregiver-Child Relationships in Somali Refugee Families. Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology, 21(1): 114-125.
In the News
- LGBTQ Fellowship enters fourth year at DGSOM
- Confronting Mental Health Barriers in the Asian American and Pacific Islander Community
- How Racism Against Asian American and Pacific Islanders Reinforces Health Disparities
- National Coming Out Day spotlights the challenges and wins of a long, complex journey
- HIV screenings and treatments could mean longer life expectancy, yet stigmas interfere with progress
Note: News links may expire without notice.
- Super Doctors® Southern California Rising Stars 2023 - 2020
- Gold Humanism Honor Society
- Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences Outstanding Faculty Housestaff Teaching Award 2020
- Kaiser-Permanente Award for Excellence in Teaching 2021