Brian Shuch, MD is the Director of the Kidney Cancer Program and the Alvin & Carrie Meinhardt Endowed Chair in Kidney Cancer Research.
He completed his urology training at UCLA followed by a Urologic Oncology Fellowship at the National Cancer Institute. He is an accomplished surgeon (open/laparoscopic/robotic surgery and percutaneous ablations) and clinical/translational researcher.
He serves in leadership positions within various kidney cancer research organizations such as SWOG and the Society of Urologic Oncology. He is recognized as an expert in the genetics of kidney cancer and runs a translational research program with over 140 peers reviewed publications including primary research published in prestigious journals such as Nature, Nature Genetics, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Journal of Clinical Oncology, and Clinical Cancer Research. He is one of the few clinicians to bring bench science to the bedside in an upcoming therapeutic clinical trial for metastatic kidney cancer.
Previously Dr. Shuch was at Yale from 2013-2018 as an Associate Professor of Urology and Diagnostic Radiology, Director of the Genitourinary Cancer Genetics and Prevention Program, and the Director Of the Genitourinary Biospecimen Repository.
Medical Board Certification
Areas of Focus
- Sarcomatoid transformation
- Hereditary kidney cancer
- Precision medicine
- Tumor heterogeneity
- Robotic surgery
- Adjuvant therapy
- clinical trials
In the News
Note: News website links may expire without notice.
- 2001, New York University Presidential Service Award
- 2004, Joseph Collins Foundation Award for most outstanding graduating 4th year NYU Medical Student
- 2004, Valentine Mott Award for Excellence in Urology
- 2004, Alpha Omega Alpha National Honor Society
- 2008, ASCO Foundation Merit Award
- 2008, Longmire Surgical Society Award
- 2009, ASCO Foundation Merit Award
- 2009, Longmire Surgical Society Award
- 2009, UCLA Urology Guy Della Riva Award for clinical, research, and compassion
- 2012, ASCO Foundation Merit Award
- 2013, ASCO Foundation Merit Award