Dr. Crawford joined the UCLA orthopaedic department in 2019 as a fellowship trained, board-certified orthopaedic oncologist. She specializes in primary bone and soft tissue sarcomas, metastatic tumors of the musculoskeletal system, benign bone and soft tissue tumors.
Prior to her UCLA appointment, Dr. Crawford worked at City of Hope Cancer Center for 3 years after graduating from her orthopaedic oncology fellowship at Massachusetts General Hospital, Beth Israel Deaconess and Boston Children's Hospital through Harvard Medical School. Her fellowship is one of the few in the country with a 6-month emphasis on pediatrics sarcomas.
Dr. Crawford attending Santa Clara University where she graduated Magna Cum Laude before attending Oregon Health & Science University for medical school. She completed her internship at OHSU before moving to Saint Louis University Hospital for residency and a one-year orthopaedic trauma fellowship. While there she completed a traveling fellowship through Orthopaedics Overseas, operating for 6 weeks at several hospitals throughout Malawi, Africa. Throughout her career, she has continued to publish several peer-reviewed journal articles regarding orthopaedics. Currently, her research is focused on oxygenating osteosarcoma cells to sensitize them to radiation, and working with engineers at Caltech to develop photoacoustic imaging as a clinical modality for bone lesions. She is a member of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, on the board of directors for the Musculoskeletal Oncology Research Initiative, a reviewer for several peer-reviewed journals, and sits on several committees at UCLA.
Dr. Crawford is an avid animal lover and currently houses 3 rescue animals, 2 dogs and a cat. She grew up in a small town where farming is the primary industry and loves to travel home to refresh. She previously played racquetball at a National and World level, winning several championships. She strives to make a personal connection with her patients - providing them not only with the best possible evidence-based medical care but with a patient-physician relationship that is supportive and collaborative.
Medical Board Certifications
- Williams AK, Crawford B, Federman NC, Bernthal N, Arkader A. What's New in Pediatric Orthopaedic Tumor Surgery. 1 Feb 2021. J Pediatr Orthop.
- Fong AJ, Stewart CL, Lafaro K, LaRocca CJ, Fong Y, Femino JD, Crawford B. Robotic assistance for quick and accurate image-guided needle placement. 4 Jan 2021. Updates Surg.
- Bernthal NM, Upfill-Brown A, Burke ZDC, Greig D, Crawford B, Eckardt JJ. Long term outcomes of total humeral replacement for oncological reconstructions: A single institution experience. 29 Jun 2020. J Surg Oncol.
- Blakely, Chow, Sampath, Femino, Lozano-Calderon, Heng, Crawford. Postoperative Wound Complications in Fungating Extremity Soft Tissue Sarcomas. J of Cancer Bio and Therapeutics. 2019.
- Crawford B, Badlissi F, Lozano Calderon SA. Orthopaedic Considerations in the Management of Skeletal Sarcoidosis. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 15 Mar 2018.
- Greenberg, Crawford. Surveillance Strategies for Sarcoma: Results of a Survey of Members of the Musculoskeletal Tumor Society. Sarcoma. 13 Jul 2016.
- Crawford, Lenarz, Watson, Alander. Complication with Removal of a Lumbar Spinal Locking Plate. Case Rep Orthop. 17 Feb 2015.
- Crawford, Watson, Jackman, Fissel, Karges. Salvage Hindfoot Arthrodesis Using Internal and Ilizarov Fixation. J Foot Ankle Surg. Vol53(5), Sept-Oct 2014.
- Crawford, Zehnder, Cutuk, Kaar. Arthroscopic evaluation of knee lateral compartment widening after lateral ligamentous injury. KSSTA. Vol 21(7), July 2013.
- Super Doctors® Southern California Rising Stars 2021
- Super Doctors® Southern California Rising Stars 2020
- Los Angeles Magazine Top Doctors, 2019
- Orthopaedics Traveling Fellowship, Health Volunteers Overseas, Malawi, Africa October 2013