Dr. Carlie Thompson is a breast surgeon who practices in Burbank and Westwood. She is board-certified in general surgery and fellowship-trained in breast surgical oncology. She uses a multidisciplinary approach to expertly manage breast cancer, benign breast disease and women at high risk of developing breast cancer. She is a compassionate provider that cares deeply about her patients and their families.
Dr. Thompson obtained her medical degree from Washington University in St. Louis, where she was elected into Alpha Omega Alpha honor society. She received her surgery training at Northwestern University and the University of California San Francisco, during which she received several awards for teaching and compassion. She completed a breast surgical oncology fellowship at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles.
Dr. Thompson has over a decade of experience performing scientific and medical research and has won several awards for her work. She has authored many peer-reviewed articles and book chapters and has presented at a variety of national meetings. Her research interests include breast cancer screening, the evaluation of DCIS, and the neoadjuvant treatment of breast cancer.
Dr. Thompson is a member of the American College of Surgeons, the Association of Women Surgeons, the Society of Surgical Oncology and the American Society of Breast Surgeons.
Medical Board Certifications
Areas of Focus
- Baker JL, Dizon DS, Streja E, Wenziger CM, Thompson CK, Lee MK, DiNome ML, Attai DJ. Going flat after mastectomy: patient reported outcomes by online survey. Submitted.
- Mandelbaum AD, Hakhla M, Seo YJ, Dobaria V, Attai DJ, Baker JL, Thompson CK, DiNome ML, Benharash P, Lee MK. National trends and predictors of mastectomy with immediate breast reconstruction. Breast Cancer Res Treat 2020, submitted.
- Angarita S, Ye L, Runger D, Hadaya J, Baker JL, Dawson N, Thompson CK, Lee MK, Attai DJ, DiNome ML. Assessing the burden of nodal disease in breast cancer patients with clinically positive nodes: hope for more limited axillary surgery. Ann Surg Oncol 2020; in press.
- Baker JL, Hegde J, Thompson CK, Lee MK, DiNome ML. Locoregional management of inflammatory breast cancer. Curr Breast Cancer Rep, in press.
- Mandelbaum AD, Thompson CK, Attai DJ, Baker JL, Slack G, DiNome ML, Benharash P, Lee MK. National trends in immediate breast reconstruction: an analysis of implant-based versus autologous reconstruction after mastectomy. Ann Surg Oncol 2020; online ahead of print. PMID 32712889.
- Berkowitz MJ, Thompson CK, Zibecchi LT, Lee MK, Streja E, Wenziger CM, Berkowitz JS, Baker JL, DiNome ML, Attai DJ. How patients experience adjuvant endocrine therapy for breast cancer: an online survey of symptoms, adherence, and medical team support. J Cancer Surviv 2020; online ahead of print. PMID 32804353.
- Thompson CK, Lee MK, Baker JL, Attai DJ, DiNome ML. Taking a Second Look at Neoadjuvant Endocrine Therapy for the Treatment of Early Stage Estrogen Receptor Positive Breast Cancer During the COVID-19 Outbreak. Ann Surg. 2020 Aug;272(2):e96-e97.
- Lee MK, Sanaiha Y, Kusske AM, Thompson CK, Attai DJ, Baker JL, Fischer CP, DiNome ML. A comparison of two non-radioactive alternatives to wire for the localization of non-palpable breast cancers. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2020 July;182(2):299-303.
- Lindstrom LS, Yau C, Czene K, Thompson CK, Hoadley KA, van’t Veer LJ, Balassanian R, Bishop JW, Carpenter PM, Chen Y, Datnow B, Hasteh F, Krings G, Lin F, Zhang Y, Nordenskjold B, Stal O, Benz CC, Fornander T, Borowsky AD, Esserman LJ, for the STO Trialists Group. Intra-tumor heterogeneity of the estrogen receptor and the long-term risk of fatal breast cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2018 Jan 19. doi: 10.1093/jnci/djx270.
- Esserman LJ, Yau C, Thompson CK, van’t Veer LJ, Borowsky AD, Hoadley KA, Tobin NP, Nordenskjold B, Forander T, Stal O, Benz CC, Lindstrom LS. Use of molecular tools to identify patients with indolent breast cancers with ultralow risk over 2 decades. JAMA Oncol. 2017 Nov 1;3(11):1503-1510.
- Esserman LJ, Anton-Culver H, Borowsky A, Brain S, Cink T, Crawford B, Eklund M, Esserman L, Fenton J, Heditsian D, Hiatt RA, Hogarth M, Kaplan C, Koenig B, LaCroix A, Larsen KM, Lee V, Matthews J, Madlensky L, Naeim A, Ojeda-Fournier H, Parker BA, Sepucha K, Shieh Y, Stover Fiscalini A, Thompson C, Tice J, Van 't Veer L, Wenger N, Ziv E. The WISDOM Study: breaking the deadlock in the breast cancer screening debate. NPJ Breast Cancer. 2017 Sept 13;3:34.
- Shieh Y, Eklund M, Madlensky L, Sawyer SD, Thompson CK, Stover Fiscalini A, Ziv E, van’t Veer LJ, Esserman LJ Tice JA. Breast cancer screening in the precision medicine era: risk-based screening in a population-based trial. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2017 Jan 27;109(5).
- Thompson CK, Eklund M, Esserman LJ. Putting the “Great Mammography Debate” to rest. Am J Hematol Oncol. 2015 Sep;11(9):21-2.
- Pilewskie M, Kennedy C, Shappell C, Helenowski I, Scholtens D, Hansen N, Bethke K, Jeruss J, Karstaedt P, Khan SA. Effect of MRI on the management of ductal carcinoma in situ of the breast. Ann Surg Oncol. 2013 May;20(5):1522-9.
- Kennedy C, Gao F, Margenthaler J. Neoadjuvant versus adjuvant chemotherapy for triple negative breast cancer. J Surg Res. 2010 Sep;163(1):52-7.
- Chesson Award for Compassion in Surgery
- Lynn Sage Scholar
- Association of Women Surgeons Outstanding Mentorship Award
- Alpha Omega Alpha