Dr. Catherine Oberg is a board-certified interventional pulmonologist who practices in Torrance, Santa Monica, and Westwood. She performs a variety of diagnostic and therapeutic respiratory system procedures, and always works with patients to find the least invasive option that aligns with their goals of care. Her clinical interests include minimally invasive diagnostic procedures, bronchoscopic lung volume reduction and central airway obstruction.
She performs a variety of procedures, including:
- Navigational bronchoscopy
- Radial and linear endobronchial ultrasound (EBUS)
- Rigid and flexible bronchoscopy
- Thermal ablative techniques, including Laser, Argon Plasma Coagulation (APC) and Electrocautery
- Airway stent placement
- Bronchial thermoplasty
- Endobronchial valve placement
- Medical pleuroscopy
- Tunneled pleural catheter placement
- Percutaneous tracheostomy placement
- Gastrostomy tube placement
Dr. Oberg was born and raised in Tennessee. She received her medical degree from the University of Tennessee Health Science Center and completed her internal medicine residency at the USC Keck School of Medicine. She then completed her pulmonary and critical care fellowship at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai in New York City, followed by her advanced fellowship in interventional pulmonology from the Harvard Combined program at Beth Israel Deaconess/Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston. She earlier received her Bachelor of Science degree from Texas A&M University, where she majored in biomedical science.
In addition to her clinical work, Dr. Oberg is a clinical instructor at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, who has conducted research on endobronchial valve placement, pleural disease and central airway obstruction, among other topics.
When she's not working, Dr. Oberg enjoys traveling and global health. She has provided care to patients in Tanzania, India and Haiti.
Medical Board Certifications
- Oberg CL, Beattie JA, Folch EE. Bronchoscopy and Tracheostomy in the COVID-19 Era. CHEST Physician Pulmonary Perspectives. CHEST Physician Pulmonary Perspectives. Vol. 15, No. 10, October 2020.
- Divo M, Oberg CL, Pritchett M, Celli B, Folch EE. Methods for a Seamless Transition from Tracheostomy to Spontaneous Breathing in COVID-19 Patients. Respir Care. 2020 Aug 5;respcare.08157.
- Pritchett MA, Oberg CL, Belanger A, et al. Society for Advanced Bronchoscopy Consensus Statement and Guidelines for Bronchoscopy and Airway Management Amid the COVID-19 Pandemic. J Thorac Dis. 2020 May;12(5):1781-1798.
- Folch EE, Mahajan AK, Oberg CL, et al. Standardized bleeding definitions after transbronchial lung biopsy: a Delphi consensus statement from the Nashville Working Group. Chest. 2020 Feb 14. pii: S0012-3692(20)30272-5.
- Mahajan A, Ibrahim O, Perez R, Oberg C, et al. The Use of Electrosurgical and Laser Therapy Tools for the Management of Malignant Central Airway Obstructions. Chest. 2019 Aug 28.
- Oberg CL, Beattie JA, Folch EE. Endobronchial valves for lung volume reduction: What can we offer patients with advanced emphysema? CHEST Physician Pulmonary Perspectives. Vol. 14, No. 6, June 2019.
- Rabin A, Keyes CM, Oberg CL, Folch EE. Emerging Interventional Pulmonary Therapies for Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. J Thorac Imaging. 2019 May 27.
- Mallow C, Lee H, Oberg C, et al. Safety and diagnostic performance of pulmonologists performing electromagnetic guided percutaneous lung biopsy (SPiNperc). Respirology. 2019 May;24(5):453-458.
- Oberg C, Folch E, Santacruz F. Management of Malignant Airway Obstruction. AME Medical Journal. 2018 Dec 18;3:115.
- Oberg CL, Holden VK, Channick CL. Benign Central Airway Obstruction. Semin Respir Crit Care Med. 2018 Dec;39(6):731-746.
- Oberg CL, Majid A. Update on Management of Pleural Disease. Curr Pulmonol Rep. 2019 Dec; 8:205.