Dr. Tseng is an Assistant Clinical Professor in the Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery at the UCLA David Geffen School of Medicine. He was raised in Los Angeles where he attended Harvard-Westlake School, was a National Merit Semi-Finalist and a top-ranked tennis player on the US National Junior Tennis team. He earned his B.A. in Biology with a concentration in Economics at Columbia University, NY where he was on the Dean's List all four years, played for the Varsity Tennis Team, and graduated Cum Laude. He continued at Columbia University and received his M.D. He matched into and completed the highly competitive combined residency in General Surgery and Plastic Surgery at the University of Chicago Medical Center, IL. He then completed a combined fellowship in Cosmetic Surgery and Reconstructive Surgery at the UCLA David Geffen School of Medicine.
Dr. Tseng has presented papers at the American Society of Reconstructive Microsurgery, American Society for Plastic Surgery, Plastic Surgery Research Council and World Society of Reconstructive Microsurgery among others. He has also published papers in leading peer-reviewed journals and text books such as the Journal of Reconstructive Microsurgery, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Clinics in Plastic Surgery.
Dr. Tseng's honors and accomplishments are impressive. He was awarded an NIH Dean's Research Fellowship and an Institutional Research Grant at Columbia University. He was a finalist in the Associated Medical Schools of New York (AMSNY) Medical Student Research Awards. While at Columbia University he received the Dean's Prize for Medical Research for his research in Schwann Cell Migration and Peripheral Nerve Regeneration in the Autogenous Venous Nerve Conduit, the Biomedical Research Prize and a Research Fellowship at the Center for Restorative Surgery. He won the Best Research Presentation and Paper at the Midwestern Association of Plastic Surgery for his 'Pedicle Preservation Technique for Arterial and Venous Turbocharging of Free Deep Inferior Epigastric Perforator Flaps' paper.
Dr. Tseng is the co-founder and co-director of the UCLA Breast Center, Santa Monica and concentrates his practice at the UCLA Santa Monica Medical Center.
Dr. Tseng is a recognized expert in cosmetic plastic surgery and microsurgical breast reconstruction. He specializes in aesthetic surgery, cosmetic injectables (such as Botox, Juvederm), and breast reconstruction. He performs facelift, breast augmentation, breast reconstruction, abdominoplasty, and elective breast surgery with outstanding results.
Dr. Tseng is Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
Patient StoriesDr. Tseng is as good as it gets. Simply the best!
Medical Board Certification
Areas of Focus
- Breast Augmentation
- Facial Aesthetic Surgery
- Breast Reconstruction
- CY Tseng, JE Lipa. Perforator Flaps in Breast Reconstruction. Clinics in Plastic Surgery 37(4): 553-694.
- CY Tseng, JE Lipa. Chapter 44: "Breast reconstruction - stacked flaps". Operative Microsurgery, edited by Brian Boyd, MD and Neil Jones, MD
- CY Tseng, G Hu, DTW Chiu, RT Ambron. Histologic Analysis of Schwann Cell Migration and Peripheral Nerve Regeneration in the Autogenous Venous Nerve Conduit (AVNC). Journal of Reconstructive Microsurgery 19:331-340, 2003.
- CY Tseng, P Lang, N Cipriani, DH Song. Pedicle Preservation Technique for Arterial and Venous Turbocharging of Free Deep Inferior Epigastric Perforator Flaps and Muscle-Sparing TRAM Flaps. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 120(4):851-854, September 2007.
- DC Wan, CY Tseng, AL Dalio, CA Crisera, JH Festekjian. Inclusion of Mesh in Donor Site Repair of Free TRAM and MS-TRAM Yields Rates of Abdominal Complications Comparable to Those of DIEP Reconstruction. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 126(2):367-374, August 2010.
- A Pelletier, CY Tseng, DH Song. Cost Analysis of Near-Infrared Spectroscopy Tissue Oximetry for Monitoring Autologous Free Tissue Breast Reconstruction. Journal of Reconstructive Microsurgery 27:487-494, 2011.
- FA Herrera, EI Chang, A Suliman, CY Tseng, JP Bradley. Recent Trends in Resident Career Choices After Plastic Surgery Training. Annals of Plastic Surgery 70:694-697, June 2013.
- J Roostaeian, P Rahgozar, I Sanchez, C Galanis, F Herrera, N Clavin, CY Tseng, J Festekjian, A Da Lio, C Crisera. The Effect of Prior Abdominal Surgery on Abdominal Based Free Flaps in Breast Reconstruction. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 133(3):247e-255e, March 2014.
- AA Gassman, JM Maxhimer, AP Yoon, H Sethi, CY Tseng, J Festekjian, AL Da Lio, CA Crisera. Comparison of Postoperative Pain Control in Autologous versus Implant-based Breast Reconstruction. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 135(2):356-367, February 2015.
In the News
- Top Doctors, Los Angeles Magazine, 2021
- NIH Dean's Research Fellowship, Columbia University
- Research Fellowship, Center for Restorative Surgery, Columbia University
- NIH Institutional Research Grant, Columbia University
- Dean's Prize: Dean's Day for Medical Research, Columbia University
- Finalist, Associated Medical Schools of New York Medical Student Research Awards
- Harold C. Neu, MD Biomedical Research Prize, Columbia University
- Best Research Presentation and Paper, Midwestern Association of Plastic Surgery Meeting