Preferred Name: Darryl T. Hiyama, FACS
Dr. Darryl Hiyama is a surgeon who practices in Westwood, at the Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center. He is board-certified in Surgery and Medical Informatics. Dr. Hiyama has 31 years of practice experience at UCLA in the surgical treatment of diseases of the esophagus, stomach, hepatobiliary system, small bowel, colon and rectum and spleen.
Dr. Hiyama received his medical degree from the University of Hawaii. During his medical education, he was a member of Alpha Omega Alpha and received the award for an outstanding student in surgery. He completed his residency in surgery at the University of Cincinnati before coming to UCLA in 1990. He received his bachelor's degree from Seattle University in Washington state.
When not working, Dr. Hiyama enjoys travel, cooking, gardening and woodworking.
Dr. Hiyama is a member of the American College of Surgeons, Pacific Coast Surgical Association, the Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract, the Society of Laparoscopic and Robotic Surgeons, the Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons as well as a number of other groups.
Medical Board Certifications
- Gastric cancer
- Gastric diseases and problems
- Quality improvement in care for surgical patients
UCLA Health System Clinical Updates: - Participated in publication of clinical newsletter "Implanted neurostimulator palliates drug-refractory nausea associated with gastroparesis"
- Variability in multimodality treatment influences survival in non-metastatic gastric cancer patients. Hoang, T; Dayyani F; Alfaro A; Huynh, J; Ji, J; Ko, AH; Cho, M; Hiyama, D. J Gastrointest Oncol. 2020 Oct;11(5):952-963. PMID: 33209490
- Predictors of outcomes in patients with gastric cancer treated with contemporary multimodality strategies-a single institution experience. Hoang, T: Park, M; Hiyama, D; Dayyani, F. J Gastrointest Oncol. 2020 Apr;11(2):411-420. PMID: 32399281
- Gene mutations distinguishing gastric from colorectal and esophageal adenocarcinomas. Hoang, T; Ganesan, AK; Hiyama, d; Dayyani, F. J Gastrointest Oncol. 2020 Feb;11(1):45-54. PMID: 32175104
- Patient experience with electronic health record-integrated postoperative telemedicine visits in an academic endocrine surgery program. Schumm MA, Pyo HQ, Ohev-Shalom R, Tseng CH, Livhits MJ, Zanocco KA, Hiyama DT, Yeh MW. Surgery. 2021 May;169(5):1139-1144. PMID: 33384159.
- Intraoperative Laparoscopic Near-Infrared Fluorescence Cholangiography to Facilitate Anatomical Identification: When to Give Indocyanine Green and How Much. Zarrinpar A, Dutson EP, Mobley C, Busuttil RW, Lewis CE, Tillou A, Cheaito A, Hines OJ, Agopian VG, Hiyama DT. Innov. 2016 Aug;23(4):360-5. PMID: 26964557.
- 2009-2021 Castle Connolly Los Angeles Regional Top Doctors
- 2010-2021 American Registry Southern California Top Doctors
- Top Doctors, Los Angeles Magazine, 2021
- Top Doctors, Los Angeles Magazine, 2018
- Super Doctors® Southern California 2016
- Super Doctors® Southern California 2015
- Super Doctors® Southern California 2014
- Super Doctors® Southern California 2013
- Super Doctors® Southern California 2012
- Super Doctors® Southern California 2011
- Super Doctors® Southern California 2010
- Golden Scalpel Teaching Award 2010, Professor
- Los Angeles Super Doctors 2007
- Alpha Omega Alpha