David R. McAllister, MD is a native of Southern California and has been a member of the full time faculty at UCLA Health since 1998. Dr. McAllister is Chief of the Sports Medicine Service, Professor and Vice Chair for Academic Affairs in the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA. He is a Board Certified Orthopedic Surgeon with subspecialty Board Certification in Orthopaedic Sports Medicine. Dr. McAllister also serves as the program director of the sports medicine fellowship at UCLA which trains orthopedic surgeons to become sports medicine specialists. In addition, he is responsible for teaching UCLA medical students and orthopedic surgery residents.
Dr. McAllister provides care to athletes of all skill levels including professional, collegiate, high school, and recreational athletes. He is the Head Team Physician for the UCLA Athletic Department. He has extensive experience caring for athletes in a variety of sports including football, basketball, soccer, gymnastics, volleyball and track. He has also served as a team physician for the 2002 United States Figure Skating Championships. He was the medical director and team physician for the 2004 United States Golf Association Senior Open Tournament. He was a team physician for the 2015 Special Olympics and was the head team physician for the Los Angeles Lakers from 2016-2018. As a recognized expert in sports medicine, Dr. McAllister routinely treats patients from other areas of the state, the region and the world.
He specializes in all areas of orthopedic sports medicine and has special expertise in knee ligament injuries, meniscus injuries and articular cartilage problems. He has extensive clinical and research experience in the area of knee ligaments as well as biomechanics including ACL, PCL and posterolateral corner reconstructions. He has lectured extensively on these topics both nationally and internationally. In addition, he has published multiple original manuscripts in peer-reviewed journals. Dr. McAllister belongs to many national and international societies and has held leadership positions/committee positions in the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine (AOSSM), International Society of Arthroscopy, Knee Surgery, and Orthopaedic Sports Medicine (ISAKOS), and the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery (AAOS). Dr. McAllister routinely serves on the faculty for courses designed to educate other orthopedic surgeons in the area of sports medicine. He also serves on the editorial board of numerous orthopedic publications.
Medical Board Certifications
- Knee Ligament Reconstruction
- Tissue Engineering
- Du PZ, Markolf KL, Levine BD, McAllister DR, Jones KJ. Differences in the Radius of Curvature Between Femoral Condyles: Implications for Osteochondral Allograft Matching. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2018 Aug 1;100(15):1326-1331. doi: 10.2106/JBJS.17.01509. PMID: 30063595
- Markolf KL, Du PZ, McAllister DR. Contact force between the tibial spine and medial femoral condyle: A biomechanical study. Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon). 2018 Sep 27;60:9-12. doi: 10.1016/j.clinbiomech.2018.09.025. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 30292063
- Du PZ, Markolf KL, Boguszewski DV, McAllister DR. Femoral Contact Forces in the Anterior Cruciate Ligament Deficient Knee: A Robotic Study. Arthroscopy. 2018 Dec;34(12):3226-3233. doi: 10.1016/j.arthro.2018.06.051. Epub 2018 Nov 2. PMID: 30396801
- Markolf K, Boguszewski D, Yamaguchi K, Lama C, McAllister D. Prediction of ACL Force Produced by Tibiofemoral Compression During Controlled Knee Flexion: A New Robotic Testing Methodology. J Biomech Eng. 2018 Jul 5. doi: 10.1115/1.4040775. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 30029210
- Markolf K, Yamaguchi K, Matthew J, McAllister D. Effects of Tibiofemoral Compression on ACL Forces and Knee Kinematics Under Combined Knee Loads. J Orthop Res. 2019 Jan 24. doi: 10.1002/jor.24233. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 30676657
- Markolf KL, Yang PR, Joshi NB, Petrigliano FA, McAllister DR. In vitro determination of the passive knee flexion axis: Effects of axis alignment on coupled tibiofemoral motions. Med Eng Phys. 2019 May;67:73-77. doi: 10.1016/j.medengphy.2019.03.009. Epub 2019 Mar 25. PMID: 30917910
- Markolf KL, Wang D, Joshi NB, Cheung E, Petrigliano FA, McAllister DR. Cyclic testing of tibialis tendon allografts for anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction using suture-post versus spiked washer tibial fixation. Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon). 2019 Jul 23;70:8-15. doi: 10.1016/j.clinbiomech.2019.07.025. PMID: 31377634
- Sharma AK, Levian B, Shah P, Mosich GM, Husman R, Ariniello A, Gatto JD, Hu VJ, McClintick DJ, Jensen AR, McAllister DR, Péault B, Dar A, Petrigliano FA.. Aged Mice Demonstrate Greater Muscle Degeneration of Chronically Injured Rotator Cuff. J Orthop Res. 2020 Feb;38(2):320-328. doi: 10.1002/jor.24468. Epub 2019 Oct 15.PMID: 31517395
- Harada GK, Arshi A, Fretes N, Formanek B, Gamradt S, McAllister DR, Petrigliano FA. Preoperative Vitamin D Deficiency Is Associated With Higher Postoperative Complications in Arthroscopic Rotator Cuff Repair.J Am Acad Orthop Surg Glob Res Rev. 2019 Jul 3;3(7):e075. doi: 10.5435/JAAOSGlobal-D-19-00075. eCollection 2019 Jul. PMID: 31579883
- Top Doctors, Los Angeles Magazine, 2021
- Visiting Professor, Steadman Philippon Sports Medicine Fellowship Program, Vail, Colorado, April 14, 2020
- Keynote Speaker, Oregon Orthopedic Association Annual Orthopaedic Conference, Cutting Edge Orthopaedics, Portland, Oregon, November 1-2, 2019.
- Visiting Professor, Southern California Orthopaedic Institute Fellows Graduation, Van Nuys, California, June 8, 2019.
- American Academy of Orthopaedics Surgeons Kappa Delta Award, 2019
- Visiting Professor, Medical College of Wisconsin Sports Medicine Symposium, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, May17-18, 2018.
- Visiting Professor, University of Colorado Department of Orthopaedic Surgery Grand Rounds, Denver, Colorado, November 2, 2016.
- American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine Poster Award-1st place Poster Award, 2016.