Edmund Tsui, MD is an Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology at the Stein Eye Institute, David Geffen School of Medicine at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA). He completed his medical training at Dartmouth Medical School followed by an ophthalmology residency at the New York University (NYU) School of Medicine, where he was elected Chief Resident. He went on to complete his fellowship in Uveitis and Ocular Inflammatory Disease at the Francis I. Proctor Foundation at University of California, San Francisco (UCSF).
In addition to caring for patients with uveitis and ocular inflammatory diseases, Dr. Tsui is also committed to advancing the field of ophthalmology. His research focuses on utilizing state of the art ophthalmic imaging technology to improve the diagnosis and monitoring of uveitis. He is also a co-investigator in the MERIT, ADVISE, and ZEDS multicenter clinical trials investigating therapeutics for uveitis. He is the author of over 50 peer-reviewed publications and has given talks at national and international conferences.
Along with his clinical and research responsibilities, Dr. Tsui is involved in the teaching of medical students and residents. He is on the ARVO Continuing Medical Education Committee and the ARVO Advocacy and Outreach Committee which seeks to increase funding and awareness of vision research. He also serves on the editorial board of Ophthalmology.
Medical Board Certification
- Multimodal imaging in uveitis and retina
- Image analysis
- Diagnosis of uveitis
- Clinical trials in uveitis
- Tsui E, Gonzales JA. Retinal Vasculitis Associated with Ipilimumab. Ocul Immunol Inflamm. 2019; 1–3.
- Goduni L, Mehta N, Tsui E, Bottini A, Kaden TR, Leong BCS, et al. Long-Term Multimodal Imaging of Solar Retinopathy. Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging Retina. 2019;50: 388–392.
- Tsui E, Rao RC. Navigating Social Media in #Ophthalmology. Ophthalmology. 2019;126: 779–782.
- Mehta N, Tsui E, Lee GD, Dedania V, Modi Y. Imaging Biomarkers in Diabetic Retinopathy and Diabetic Macular Edema. Int Ophthalmol Clin. 2019;59: 241–262.
- Tsui E, Schempf TA, Besirli CG, Mehta N, Modi YS, Lee GD, et al. Imaging and Testing in Pediatric Retina: A Current Review of the Literature. Int Ophthalmol Clin. 2019;59: 15–37
- Tsui E, Leong BCS, Mehta N, Gupta A, Goduni L, Cunningham ET Jr, Freund KB, Lee GD, Dedania VS, Yannuzzi LA, Modi YS. Evaluation of segmental retinal arteritis with optical coherence tomography angiography. Retin Cases Brief Rep. 2019; doi:10.1097/ICB.0000000000000900
- Tsui E, Fern CM, Goldberg NR. Treatment of Refractory Tubercular Serpiginous-like Choroiditis with Intravitreal Methotrexate. Retin Cases Brief Rep. 2018; doi:10.1097/ICB.0000000000000767
- Tsui E, Gillespie C, Perskin M, Zabar S, Wu M, Cohen EJ. Evaluating Physician Attitudes and Practices Regarding Herpes Zoster Vaccination. Cornea. 2018;37: 947–951.
- Tsui E, Gal-Or O, Ghadiali Q, Freund KB. Multimodal Imaging Adds New Insights into Acute Syphilitic Posterior Placoid Chorioretinitis. Retin Cases Brief Rep. 2018;12 Suppl 1: S3–S8.
- Rathi S, Tsui E, Mehta N, Zahid S, Schuman JS. The Current State of Teleophthalmology in the United States. Ophthalmology. 2017;124: 1729–1734.
- ARVO Science Communications Training Fellowship
- Manhattan Eye Foundation Research Grant
- ASCRS/ESCRS Young Physician Exchange Program
- Heed Ophthalmic Foundation Residents Retreat
- ASCRS Foundation Resident Excellence Award
- Thomas Liesegang Ophthalmology Research Award
- ASCRS/Young Eye Surgeons Legislative Fly-In Program Scholarship
- Alpha Omega Alpha Carolyn L. Kuckein Research Fellowship
- Albert Schweitzer Fellowship