Dr. Edward C. Cheung, MD is a fellowship-trained orthopaedic surgeon who specializes in musculoskeletal conditions of the shoulder, elbow, and knee. His clinical expertise includes complex reconstruction and minimally invasive arthroscopic management of these joints.
He has a special interest in shoulder replacement surgery including primary and revision total and reverse shoulder arthroplasty. Additionally, he performs advanced, arthroscopic, and open procedures of rotator cuff injuries, shoulder instability, and meniscus, cartilage, and ligament injuries around the knee.
Dr. Cheung understands the importance of being active at all stages of life. Using evidenced-based medicine, his goal is to help his patients return to their regular level of activity, whether that is the recreational athlete, the weekend warrior, or the collegiate or professional athlete.
Dr. Cheung completed his orthopedic surgery residency at the University of California Los Angeles. While in residency, he completed a research year focusing on the biomechanics of the knee following ligament reconstruction. He then went on to complete a shoulder and sports medicine fellowship at the University of California San Francisco where he received additional experience with open and arthroscopic management of shoulder, hip, and knee disorders. During his fellowship, he served as an assistant team physician for the San Francisco Giants, the University of San Francisco, and local area high schools in San Francisco. He is currently a Team Physician for the UCLA Bruins athletic teams.
Currently, Dr. Cheung sees patients at the UCLA Orthopaedic Center in Westwood and Santa Monica.
- Cheung EC, Joshi NB, Boguszewski DV, Wang D, McAllister DR. Anatomic Factors that May Predispose Female Athletes to ACL Injury. Curr Sports Med Rep, 2015 Sep-Oct;14(5):368-72. PMID: 26359837
- Yamaguchi KT, Cheung EC, Mathew J, Boguszewski DV, Markolf KL, McAllister DR, Petrigliano FA. Effects of Anterior Closing Wedge Tibial Osteotomy on Anterior Cruciate Ligament Force and Knee Kinematics. Am J Sports Med, 2018 Feb;46(2):370-377. PMID: 29100001
- Beck JE, Boguszewski DV, Joshi NB, Cheung EC, Bowen RE, Oppenheim WL,. A Novel Method for Determining Sagittal Pediatric Patellar Height with the Blumensaat-Epiphyseal Containment of the Knee Angle. J Pediatr Orthop B. Nov;27(6):510-515. PMID: 29878975
- Cheung EC, Moore LK, Flores SE, Lansdown DA, Feeley BT, Zhang AL. Correlation of PROMIS with Orthopaedic Patient Reported Outcome Measures. Accepted for publication in JBJS Rev, 2019 Aug;7(8):e9. PMID: 31460991
- Markolf KL, Wang D, Joshi NB, Cheung E, Petrigliano FA, McAllister DR. Cyclic testing of tibialis tendon allografts for anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction using suture-post versus spiked washer tibial fixation. Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon). 2019 Jul 23;70:8-15. PMID: 31377634
- Markes AR, Cheung E, Ma CB. Failed Reverse Shoulder Arthroplasty and Recommendations for Revision. Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med. 2020 Jan 20. PMID 31956943
- Cheung EC, Dilallo M, Feeley BT, Lansdown DA. Osteoarthritis and ACL Reconstruction- Myths and Risks. Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med. 2020 Jan 2. PMID 31894466
- Lansdown DA, Cheung EC, Xiao W, Lee A, Zhang AL, Feeley BT, Ma CB. Do Pre-Operative and Post-Operative Glenoid Retroversion Influence Outcomes After Reverse Total Shoulder Arthroplasty? Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Arthroplasty. 2020;4:1-9.
- Allis JB, Cheung EC, Farrell ED, Johnson EE, Jeffcoat DM. Dual versus Single-Plate Fixation of Midshaft Clavicular Fractures. A Retrospective Comparative Study. JBJS Open Access. 2020;5(2): e0043
- Ma CB, Xiao W, Salesky M, Cheung E, Zhang AL, Feeley BT, Lansdown DA. Do glenoid retroversion and humeral subluxation affect outcomes following total shoulder arthroplasty? JSES International. 2020; 1-8.
- Super Doctors® Southern California Rising Stars 2021
- Western Orthopaedic Association 2015, First place poster award
- H&H Lee Surgical Research Scholars Program 2014