Dr. Okawa is a Health Sciences Clinical Assistant Professor at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA; she is also the Director of the Hyperinsulinism Program. She received B.A. degrees in both biology and communication at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia. She then received her M.D. degree from the Sidney Kimmel Medical College (formerly Jefferson Medical College), also in Philadelphia. She completed her residency in Pediatrics at Kaiser Permanente Los Angeles Medical Center and her fellowship in Pediatric Endocrinology at Harvard-affiliated Boston Children's Hospital and the Joslin Diabetes Center. Her clinical interests include type 1 diabetes, monogenic diabetes, and hyperinsulinism.
Medical Board Certifications
- White PS, Thompson PM, Gotoh T, Okawa ER, Igarashi J, Kok M, Winter C, Gregory SG, Hogarty MD, Maris JM, Brodeur GM. Definition and characterization of a region of 1p36.6 consistently deleted in neuroblastoma. Oncogene, 2005, 24(16):2684-94.
- Wang Q, Diskin S, Rappaport E, Attiyeh E, Mosse Y, Shue D, Seiser E, Jagannathan J, Shusterman S, Bansal M, Khazi D, Winter C, Okawa E, Grant G, Cnaan A, Zhao H, Cheung N, Gerald W, London W, Matthay K, Brodeur GM, Maris JM. Integrative genomics identifies distinct molecular classes of neuroblastoma and shows that multiple genes are targeted by regional alterations in DNA copy number. Cancer Research, 2006, 66(12):6050-62.
- Okawa ER, Gotoh T, Igarashi J, Fujita T, Manne J, Silverman KA, Mosse Y, White PS, Brodeur GM. Expression and sequence analysis of candidates for the 1p36.31 tumor suppressor gene deleted in neuroblastomas. Oncogene, 2008, 27(6):803-10.
- Fujita T, Igarashi J, Okawa ER, Gotoh T, Manne J, Kim J, Zhao H, Pawel B, Maris JM, White PS, Brodeur GM. CHD5, a tumor suppressor gene deleted from 1p36.31 in neuroblastomas. Journal of the National Cancer Institute, 2008, 100(13):940-9.
- Okawa ER, Grant FD, Smith JR. Pediatric Graves' disease: decisions regarding therapy. Current Opinions in Pediatrics, 2015, 27(4):442-7.
- Naraparaju K, Kolla V, Zhuang T, Higashi M, Iyer R, Kolla S, Okawa ER, Blobel GA, Brodeur GM. Role of microRNAs in epigenetic silencing of the CHD5 tumor suppressor. Oncotarget, 2016, 7(13):15977-85.
- Kahraman S, Okawa ER, Kulkarni RN. Is transforming stem cells to pancreatic beta cells the holy grail for type 2 diabetes? Current Diabetes Reports, 2016, 16(8):70.
- Shirakawa J, Fernandez M, Takatani T, El Ouaamari A, Jungtrakoon P, Okawa ER, Zhang W, Yi P, Doria A, Kulkarni Insulin signaling regulates the FoxM1/PLK1/CEN-PA pathway to promote beta cell proliferation. Cell Metabolism, 2017, 25(4):868-882.e5.
- Weng CH, Okawa ER, Roberts MB, Park SK, Umbricht CB, Manson JE, Eaton CB. Breast cancer risk in postmenopausal women with medical history of thyroid disorder in the Women's Health Initiative. Thyroid, 2020, 30(4): 519-530.