Dr. Fereidoun Abtin is a thoracic interventional radiologist specializing in thoracic oncological intervention. Dr. Abtin is known internationally as an expert in minimally invasive treatment of lung cancer, mesothelioma, and thymoma. A prolific researcher, he has developed a variety of new and innovative treatments for these diseases and is currently the principle investigator on multiple clinical trials in this field.
Dr. Abtin is especially well versed in lung biopsy and thermal ablation of primary and metastatic pulmonary tumors. He practices radiofrequency ablation (RFA), microwave ablation (MWA), and cryoablation of thoracic tumors. In particular, he has pioneered the use of cryoablation in the treatment of pulmonary cancers.
Dr. Abtin is the director of the Thoracic Imaging Research Laboratory and the director of the Santa Monica Outpatient Center. In this capacity, he has grown a robust lung biopsy practice and tissue biobank.
Medical Board Certification
Dr. Abtin's interests principally lie in management of lung cancer and chest neoplasms, including mesothelioma and thymoma. Currently, he is focusing on the use of non-surgical minimally invasive thermal ablation (Radiofrequency or Microwave ablation) and cryoablation (ice) techniques in the management of thoracic cancers. Dr. Abtin is also closely involved with the Computer Vision and Imaging Biomarkers (CVIB) group on multiple projects, aiming to develop imaging biomarkers, aiding in detection and quantitation of disease, and planning optimal therapy, particularly with scleroderma and emphysema.
- Al-Hakim R, Abtin F, Genshaft S, Kutay E, Suh R. Defining New Metrics in Microwave Ablation of Pulmonary Tumors: Ablation Work and Ablation Resistance Score. Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology. 2016 Sep; 27(9): 1380-1386. PMID: 27566426
- Lee C, Guichet P, Abtin F. Percutaneous Lung Biopsy in the Molecular Profiling Era: A Survey of Current Practices. Journal of Thoracic Imaging. 2017 Jan; 32(1):63-67. PMID: 27753752
- Abtin F, Quirk MT, Suh RD, Hsu W, Han SX, Kim GJ, Genshaft S, Sandberg JK, Olevsky O, Cameron RB. Percutaneous Cryoablation for the Treatment of Recurrent Malignant Pleural Mesothelioma: Safety, Early-Term Efficacy, and Predictors of Local Recurrence. Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology. 2017 Feb; 28(2):213-221. PMID: 27979596
- Jamshidi N, Huang D, Abtin FG, Loh CT, Kee ST, Suh RD, Yamamoto S, Das K, Dry S, Binder S, Enzmann DR, Kuo MD. Genomic Adequacy from Solid Tumor Core Needle Biopsies of ex Vivo Tissue and in Vivo Lung Masses: Prospective Study. Radiology. 2017 Mar; 282(3): 903-912. PMID: 27755912
- Pan PJ, Bansal AK, Genshaft SJ, Kim GH, Suh RD, Abtin F. Comparison of Double-Freeze versus Modified Triple-Freeze Pulmonary Cryoablation and Hemorrhage Volume Using Different Probe Sizes in an In Vivo Porcine Lung. Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology. 2018 May; 3(9). PMID: 29720568
- Abtin F, Suh RD, Nasehi L, Han SX, Hsu W, Quirk M, Genshaft S, Gutierrez AJ, Cameron RB. Percutaneous cryoablation for the treatment of recurrent thymoma: preliminary safety and efficacy. Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology. 2015 May; 26(5): 709-714. PMID: 25921453