Dr. Ginger Slack grew up in Northern Virginia and moved to Los Angeles after being selected for the highly competitive early-acceptance to medical school program at the University of Southern California. At USC, she received her Bachelor's of Science in Biomedical Engineering and graduated at the top of her class as the recipient of the Grodin's Award. She then received her medical degree at UCLA and completed an integrated Plastic Surgery Residency at UCLA. This was followed by an additional fellowship year of specialization in Reconstructive Microsurgery. Dr. Slack has presented papers at the American Society of Reconstructive Microsurgery, American Society for Plastic Surgery, and Plastic Surgery Research Council among others. She has also published papers in leading peer-reviewed journals and textbooks on breast reconstruction and craniofacial reconstruction.
Dr. Slack's areas of clinical expertise include: breast reconstruction (offering implant-based, tissue-based, and microsurgical breast reconstruction procedures, including DIEP, SIEA, SGAP, PAP, Muscle Sparing TRAM, and Latissimus flaps), general oncologic reconstruction, lower extremity reconstruction. She also offers aesthetic surgery of the face, breast, and body (such as breast augmentation, breast lift, breast reduction, liposuction, abdominoplasty, labiaplasty, facelift, browlift, blepharoplasty and cosmetic injectables such as botox and filler).
Medical Board Certification
Areas of Focus
National Trends in Immediate Breast
- Mandelbaum AD, Thompson CK, Attai DJ, Baker JL, Slack G, DiNome ML, Benharash P, Lee MK. Reconstruction: An Analysis of Implant-Based Versus Autologous Reconstruction After Mastectomy.
Ann Surg Oncol. 2020 Jul 25. doi: 10.1245/s10434-020-08903-x. Online ahead of print. PMID: 32712889
- Slack GC, Fan KL, Tabit C, Andrews B, Hindin DI, Kawamoto HK, Bradley JP. Necessity of latency period in craniofacial distraction: Investigations with in vitro microdistractor and clinical outcomes. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2015 Sep;68(9):1206-14. doi: 10.1016/j.bjps.2015.04.012. Epub 2015 Apr 29.
- Lee JC, Slack GC, Walker R, Graves L, Yen S, Woo J, Ambaram R, Martz MG, Kawamoto HK Jr, Bradley JP. Maxillary hypoplasia in the cleft patient: contribution of orthodontic dental space closure to orthognathic surgery. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2014 Feb;133(2):355-61. PMID: 24469168
- Slack GC, Tabit CJ, Allam KA, Kawamoto HK, Bradley JP. Parry-Romberg reconstruction: beneficial results despite poorer fat take. Ann Plast Surg. 2014 Sep;73(3):307-10. PMID: 23676519
- Slack GC, Tabit CJ, Allam KA, Kawamoto HK, Bradley JP. Parry-Romberg Reconstruction optimal timing for hard and soft tissue procedures. J Craniofac Surg. 2012 Nov;23(7 Suppl 1):1969-73. PMID: 23154357
- Tabit CJ, Slack GC, Fan K, Wan DC, Bradley JP. Fat Grafting Versus Adipose-Derived Stem Cell Therapy: Distinguishing Indications, Techniques, and Outcomes. Aesthetic Plast Surg. 2011 Nov 9. [Epub ahead of print]. Cited in PubMed; PMID: 22069062
- Slack GC, Hagvall S, Zuk P, Rahgozar P, Yaghoubian A, Kruger E, Ehsani N, Tabit C, Bradley P. Adipose Derived-Stem Cell Adherence, Proliferation, and Migration on AlloDerm Matrix. Journal of Investigative Medicine. 2011 Jan;59(1): 134-135.
- Kuwahara K, Yang Z, Slack GC, Nimni ME, Han B. Cell delivery using an injectable and adhesive transglutaminase-gelatin gel. Tissue Engineering Part C Methods. 2010 Aug;16(4):609-18. Cited in PubMed; PMID:19757996
- Highest In-Service Exam Score, 2019
- Best Resident Teacher Award, 2018
- Best Research Award, 2018
- Winner of Inventathon 2017, MedTech Innovators and UCLA Business of Science Center