Dr. Jason Lerner is a pediatric neurologist and epileptologist who sees patients at UCLA Westwood and Manhattan Beach. He is board-certified in Neurology with Special Qualification in Child Neurology and Epilepsy. Dr. Lerner runs the Adolescent Epilepsy Center at UCLA and his clinical focus is on adolescents with epilepsy.
The majority of Dr. Lerner's education was completed on the East Coast. He completed a bachelor's degree at The College of New Jersey and earned a medical degree from Rutgers New Jersey Medical School. He completed two residency programs: Pediatrics at Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine in Hershey, Pennsylvania, and Child Neurology at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in Bronx, New York. This was followed by a fellowship in Pediatric Clinical Neurophysiology and Epilepsy at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA.
Dr. Lerner is an Associate Professor at UCLA where he has spent his entire professional career. He has held multiple leadership positions including the Child Neurology Residency Director and the Director of the Pediatric Neurophysiology Lab. Currently, he is the Associate Clinical Chief of Pediatric Neurology, Director of the Adolescent Epilepsy Center, President of the Department of Pediatrics Group Practice, and is a member of the UCLA Ronald Regan Medical Center Medical Staff Executive Committee.
Dr. Lerner's research interests include epilepsy in the adolescent population, seizures after traumatic brain injury, and clinical neurophysiology.
As many people know, Dr. Lerner's wife Kelli has had epilepsy since childhood. The idea for the Adolescent Epilepsy Center at UCLA came from the stories and struggles told by Kelli and the many patients and their families he has met throughout his career.
Medical Board Certifications
- Top Doctors, Los Angeles Magazine, 2021
- Pediatric epilepsy
- Traumatic brain injury
- Pediatric epilepsy surgery
- Adolescent Epilepsy
- Hartonian I, Yoo JW, Lerner JT. Neurology. In Pediatric Board Study Guide: A Last Minute Review. Editor: Naga O. 2020, Springer, p 551-584.
- Nariai H, Hussain SA, Bernardo D, Fallah A, Murata KK, Nguyen JC, Rajaraman RR, Rao LM, Matsumoto JH, Lerner JT, Salamon N, Elashoff D, Sankar R, Wu JY. Prospective observational study: fast ripple localization delineates the epileptogenic zone. Clinical Neurophysiology, 2019, 130:2144-2152.
- Souza IA, Gandini MA, Zhang FX, Mitchell WG, Matsumoto J, Lerner J, Pierson TM, Zamponi GW. Pathogenic Cav3.2 channel mutation in a child with primary generalized epilepsy. Molecular Brain, 2019, 12:86.
- Bhatt R, Lerner JT. Pediatric Neurology. In BRS Pediatrics Board Review. Editor: Brown L, Miller LT. 2018, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Arkilo D, Devinsky O, Mudigoudar B, Boronat S, Jennesson M, Sassower K, Vaou OE, Lerner JT, Jeste SS, Luchsinger K, Thibert R. Electroencephalographic patterns during sleep in children with chromosome 15q11.2-13.1 duplications (Dup15q). Epilepsy Behavior, 2016;57:133-6.
- Choe MC, Valino H, Fischer J, Zeiger M, Breault J, McArthur DL, Leung M, Madikians A, Yudovin S, Lerner JT, Giza CC. Targeting the epidemic: interventions and follow-up are necessary in the pediatric traumatic brain injury clinic. Journal of Child Neurology, 2016;31(1):109-15.
- Matsumoto, JH, McArthur DL, Szeliga CW, Lerner JT, Rao LM, Hussain SA, Wu JY, Nuwer MR, Sankar R. Conductive plastic electrodes reduce EEG artifact during pediatric ECMO therapy. J Clin Neurophysiol, 2016; epub ahead of print.
- Hussain SA, Kwong G, Millichap JJ, Mytinger JR, Ryan N, Matsumoto JH, Wu JY, Lerner JT, Sankar R. Hypsarrhythmia assessment exhibits poor interrater reliability: a threat to clinical trial validity. Epilepsia, 2015;56(1):77-81.
- Hussain SA, Zhou R, Jacobson C, Weng J, Cheng E, Lay J, Hung P, Lerner JT, Sankar R. Perceived efficacy of cannabidiol-enriched cannabis extracts for treatment of pediatric epilepsy: a potential role for infantile spasms and Lennox-Gastaut syndrome. Epilepsy Behavior, 2015;47:138-41.
- Arndt DH*, Lerner JT*, Matsumoto J, Madikians A, Yudovin S, Valino H, McArthur DL, Wu JY, Leung M, Buxey F, Szeliga C, Van Hirtum-Das M, Sankar R, Brooks-Kayal A, Giza CC. Subclinical early post traumatic seizures detected by continuous EEG monitoring in a consecutive pediatric cohort. Epilepsia, 2013;54(10):1780-8.
- Top Doctors, Los Angeles Magazine, 2021
- Top Doctors, Los Angeles Magazine, 2018
- Outstanding PBL Tutor Award, 2012-2017
- Castle Connolly Regional Top Doctor, 2016-2020