Jenny Kim, M.D., Ph.D. is a Professor of Dermatology, Medicine, and Nutrition at the David Geffen School of Medicine. She is the Director of Micrographic Surgery and Cutaneous Oncology Fellowship and Cosmetic Dermatology at the Division of Dermatology at UCLA. Dr. Kim received her M.D. and Ph.D. in Immunology from UCLA and completed her Dermatology residency and Mohs Micrographic Surgery, lasers, and cosmetic dermatology fellowship there. She has been a UCLA faculty since 2000 and provides care for patients with skin cancers, aging, and other appearance-related conditions.
Dr. Kim is a physician-scientist and her lab focuses on the investigation of skin as an immune organ, studying both the innate and adaptive immune responses in dermatologic diseases, including acne, superficial skin infections, skin cancers and aging. She is also engaged in translational research, taking bench findings to pre-clinical to develop novel therapeutics that could be used for the treatment of human skin diseases. Dr. Kim has numerous publications and has received various awards for her research. Dr. Kim is nationally and internationally recognized and lectures extensively in the U.S. and abroad. Her focus is to bring basic bench research to clinical practice. In addition, she focuses on advancing science through multidisciplinary efforts. For
Medical Board Certification
- Skin Immunity
- Ohmen JD, Hanifin JM, Nickoloff BJ, Rea TH, Wyzykowski R, Kim J, Jullien D, McHugh T, Nassif AS, Chan SC, Modlin RL. Overexpression of IL-10 in Atopic Dermatitis. Journal of Immunology, 154:1956-1963, 1995.
- Kim J, Modlin RL, Moy RL, Dubinett S, McHugh T, Nickoloff BJ, Uyemura K. IL-10 Production in Cutaneous Basal and Squamous Cell Carcinomas: A Mechanism for Evading the Local T Cell Immune Response. Journal of Immunology, 155: 2240-2247, 1995.
- Kim J, Sette A, Rodda S, Southwood S, Mehra V, Oliveros J, Sieling PA, Rea TH, Bloom BR, Modlin RL. Determinants of T-cell Reactivity to the Mycobacterium leprae GroES Homolog. Journal of Immunology, 159:335-343, 1997.
- Kim J, Beddingfield FC, Lask GP. Non-ablative Facial Resurfacing. Operative Techniques in Oculoplastic, Orbital, and Reconstructive Surgery, 3:55-57, 2000.
- Yamauchi PS, Bleharski JR, Uyemura K, Kim J, Sieling PA, Miller A, Brightbill H, Schlienger K, Rea TH, Modlin RL. A role for CD40-CD40 Ligand interactions in the Generation of Type 1 Cytokine Responses in Human Leprosy. Journal of Immunology, 165:1506-1512, 2000.
- Kim J, Uyemura K, Van Dyke MK, Legaspi A, Presky DH, Rea TH, Shuai K, Modlin RL. A role for IL-12 receptor expression and signal transduction in host defense in leprosy. Journal of Immunology, 167:779-786, 2001.
- Grimes PE, Bhawan J, Kim J, Chiu M, Lask G. Laser resurfacing-induced hypopigmentation: histologic alterations and repigmentation with topical photochemotherapy. Dermatologic Surgery, 27:515-520, 2001.
- Kim J, Ochoa MT, Krutzik S, Takeuchi O, Uematsu S, Legaspi A, Brightbill H, Holland D, Cunliffe WJ, Akira S, Sieling PA, Godowski PJ, Modlin RL. Activation of Inflammatory Cytokine Responses in Acne Occurs through Toll-like Receptor 2. Journal of Immunology, 169:1535-1541, 2002.
- Arora T, Liu B, He H, Kim J, Murphy TL, Murphy KM, Modlin RL, Shuai K. Inhibition of Stat-4-mediated Gene Activation by PIASx. Journal of Biological Chemistry, 278:21327-21330, 2003.
- Liu P, Krutzik S, Kim J, Modlin R. Cutting edge: All-trans retinoic acid downregulates Toll-like receptor-2 expression and function. Journal of Immunology, 174:2467-2470, 2005.
- Miller LS, Sorensen OE, Liu PT, Jalian HR, Eshtiaghpour D, Behmanesh BE, Chung W, Stamer TD, Kim J, Sieling PA, Ganz T, Modlin RL. TGFa regulates Toll-like receptor expression and function on epidermal keratinocytes. Journal of Immunology, 174:6137-6143, 2005.
- McInturff J, Wang S-J, Machleidt T, Lin R, Oren A, Hertz C, Krutzik S, Hart S, Zeh K, Anderson D, Gallo R, Modlin RL, Kim J. Granulysin-derived Peptides Demonstrate Antimicrobial and Antiinflammatory Activity against Propionibacterium acnes. J Invest Dermatol 125:256-263, 2005.
- Ko CJ, Kim J, Phan J, Binder SW. Bcl-2-positive epidermal dendritic cells in inverted follicular keratoses but not squamous cell carcinomans or Seborrheic keratoses. J Cutaneous Pathology 33:498-501, 2006.
- Liu PT, Phan J, Tang D, Kanchanapoomi M, Hall B, Krutzik SR, Kim J. CD209+ macrophages mediate host defense against Propionibacterium acnes. Journal of Immunology 180:4919-23, 2008.
- Greco, J, Soriano S, Lask GP, Kim J. Combination Treatment with Broadband Light and Erbium-Doped Yttrium Aluminium Garnet MicroLaser Peel for Photoaged Skin: Case Report of Four Patients. Dermatol Surg 34:1603-8, 2008.
- Jalian HR, Liu PT, Kanchanapoomi M, Legaspi A, Modlin RL, Kim J. All-trans retinoic acid shifts Propionibacterium acnes induced matrix degradation expression profile toward matrix preservation in human monocytes. Journal of Investigative Dermatology 128:2777-82, 2008.
- Custis T, Beynet D, Carranza D, Greco J, Lask GP, Kim J. Comparison of treatment of melomental fold rhytides with cross-linked hyaluronic acid combined with onabotulinumtoxina and cross-linked hyaluronic acid alone. Dermatol Surg 2010 36:1852-8, 2010.
- Cho JS, Zussman J, Donegan NP, Ramos RI, Garcia NC, Uslan DZ, Iwakura Y, Simon SI, Cheung AL, Modlin RL, Kim J, Miller LS. Noninvasive in vivo imaging to evaluate immune responses and antimicrobial therapy against Staphylococcus aureus and USA300 MRSA skin infections. J Invest Dermatol 131:907-15, 2011.
- Ahdout J, Kotlerman J, Elashoff D, Kim J, Chiu MW. Modifiable lifestyle factors associated with metabolic syndrome in patients with psoriasis. Clin Exp Dermatol 37 (5):477-83, 2012.
- Chesnut C, Kim J. Is there truly no benefit with sunscreen use and basal cell carcinoma? A critical review of the literature and the application of new sunscreen labeling rules to real-world sunscreen practices. J Skin Cancer Volume 2012, 2012. PMCID: PMC3357551
- Marinelli L, Fitz-Gibbon S, Hayes C, Bowman C, Inkeles M, Loncaric A, Russell D, Jacobs-Sera D, Cokus S, Pellegrini M, Kim J, Miller J, Hatfull G, Modlin RL. Propionbacterium acnes bacteriophages display limited genetic diversity and broad killing activity against bacterial skin isolates. MBio 3(5): e00279-12 2012. PMCID: PMC3448167
- Friedman AJ, Phan J, Tang D, Blecher K, Oren A, Liu P, Modlin RL, Kim J. Antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory activity of chitosan-alginate nanoparticles: a targeted therapy for cutaneous pathogens. J Invest Dermatol 133(5):1231-9, 2013. PMCID: PMC3631294
- Fitz-Gibbon S, Tomida S, Chiu BH, Nguyen L, Du C, Liu M, Elashoff D, Erfe MC, Loncaric A, Kim J, Modlin RL, Miller JF, Sodergren E, Craft N, Weinstock GM, Li HY. Propionibacterium acnes strain populations in the skin microbiome associated with acne. J Invest Dermatol Jan 2013. (Epub ahead of print).
- Champer J, Patel J, Fernando N, Salehi E, Wong V, Kim J. Chitosan against cutaneous pathogens. AMB Express 2013 Jul 6;3(1):3. (Epub ahead of print).
- Agak G, Qin M, Nobe J, Kim M-H, Krutzik SR, Tristan GR, Elashoff D, Garban H, Kim J. Propionibacterium acnes-induced an IL-17 response in acne vulgaris that is regulated by vitamin A and vitamin D (accepted to J Invest Dermatol, April 2013).
- Qin M, Pirouz A, Kim MH, Krutzik S, Garban H, Kim J. Propionibacterium acnes induces IL-1ß secretion via the NLRP3 inflammasome in human monocytes (accepted to J Invest Dermatol, May 2013).
- Dr. Kim was honored as one of 100 women of achievement at UCLA Health and named a trailblazer making a difference in 2020.
- She was recognized by the Los Angeles Business Journal Top Doctors recipient 2020
- Association of American Medical Colleges, Mid-Career Women Faculty Professional Development Seminar Selected Participant 2012
- UCLA Dean's recognition for Science Faculty Research 2011
- Selected as the12th Medical-Pharmaceutical Research Scholar, Dong Sung Pharmaceutical Foundation 2009
- American Dermatologic Association, elected member 2008-ADDED
- First Prize for Scientific Poster Presentation at the American Academy of Dermatology 65th Annual Meeting 2007
- American Academy of Dermatology Leadership Circle for Volunteerism, Member Making a Difference 2006
- American Acne and Rosacea Society Found Director 2005
- The William J. Cunliffe Prize, EADV Congress 2004
- SID/Galderma Acne Research Award 2003
- American Academy of Dermatology Awards for Young Investigators In Dermatology 2001
- Nelson Paul Anderson Lecture Award, Pacific Dermatologic Association 1997
- Lazar Grant Scholarship at UCLA School of Medicine 1987
- Golden Key National Honor Society 1986
- University of California at Berkeley, Honor Society 1982-1986
- Jean Liberty Scholarship at UC Berkeley 1982