Dr. Jessica Zarndt is a board-certified sports medicine physician. Her interest and expertise are in maximizing non-operative approaches for managing sports and orthopedic concerns. Her approach to medicine is personal and academic with the goal to keep her patients active, healthy and performing. She also specializes in the care of elite athletes. In addition to her care for patients at UCLA Health, she is serving as Assistant Team Physician for the Los Angeles Dodgers and Team Physician for UCLA Women's Basketball and Swim & Dive Teams.
Dr. Zarndt sees patients of all ages with sports injuries and orthopedic concerns; ligament injuries/sprains, muscle strains/tears, tendon injuries, stress fractures, non-operative fractures, overuse injuries, osteoarthritis, cartilage injuries, joint pain, carpal tunnel syndrome, throwing injuries, trigger fingers and more. She utilizes several minimally invasive orthopedic procedures including:
- Ultrasound-guided joint injections (knee, hip, shoulder, wrist, elbow, and ankle)
- Orthobiologic injections including hyaluronic acid and platelet-rich plasma (PRP)
- Ultrasound-guided needle barbotage for calcific tendinosis (calcium deposits within a tendon).
She arrived in Los Angeles via Austin, Texas where she served for several years as the Associate Team Physician for the University of Texas Longhorns, hook 'em. She worked intimately with the athletic department to provide and advance the care of female athlete concerns, concussion, mental health, preventive care, performance and fueling concerns, emergency care, side-line medical coverage and primary care for all of UT's men's and women's NCAA sports.
Her academic and careful approach to care comes from her decade-plus teaching career. She is currently full-time faculty for the UCLA Primary Care Sports Medicine Fellowship and holds Assistant Clinical Professor appointments in both the Family Medicine and Orthopaedics Departments at UCLA. She previously has held academic appointments as Assistant Professor at both Touro University Nevada and the University of Texas in Austin, Dell Medical School.
Her other previous accolades include serving as Team Physician for the Allegiant Air USA Cycling Team and as a Ringside Physician for USA Boxing. The American Medical Society for Sports Medicine has recognized Dr. Zarndt for her research in medical care provided at endurance events and VEGAS INC named her one of the Top 40 under 40 Las Vegas professionals in 2013 for her contributions to her hometown community.
She is a former collegiate 10,000-meter conference champion, NCAA Woman of the Year for the state of Nevada and today is an avid runner and cyclist.
Medical Board Certifications
- Zarndt, J., The Five Minute Clinical Consult, Domino FJ, et al., "Brachial Plexopathy" chapter author, Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, 23rd Edition, 2015. www.5minuteconsult.com
- Zarndt, J. Bilateral Exertional Leg pain, American Medical Society of Sports Medicine National Conference, poster.
- Zarndt, J. Concussion an Update on Diagnosis and Management, American College Osteopathic Family Physicians Annual Convention and Scientific Seminars, 1 hour CME presentation
- Zarndt, J. Orthopedic exam and Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine, Nevada Academy of Family Practice Annual Meeting and CME Conference, 3 CME hour lecture and workshops.
- Zarndt, J., Standard of Care in the Medical Tent, American Medical Society of Sports Medicine, National Conference oral presentation and poster.
- Zarndt, J., Management of on the Field Emergencies, Nevada Academy of Family Practice Annual Meeting, 1 hour of CME presentation.
- Zarndt, J., Milligan M., Casting and Splinting Workshop, Nevada Academy of Family Practice Annual Meeting, 3 hour CME workshop.
- Zarndt, J. Protecting our Weekend Warriors from Injury, City of Henderson NV, speaker. Dolgan, J, Moore, D, Zarndt J., Mercer, J., Golding, L., American College of Sports Medicine Southwest Conference, poster presentation.
- Vegas INC. Top 40 under 40 young professionals, 2013
- AMSSM Rising with Research, 2012
- NCAA Woman of the Year, State of Nevada 2003