Jivianne T. Lee MD is an Associate Professor in the Department of Head and Neck Surgery at the UCLA David Geffen School of Medicine. She is fellowship trained in complex sinus and endoscopic cranial base surgery and specializes in minimally invasive surgical techniques for the treatment of sinonasal and skull base disease.
Dr. Lee obtained her Doctorate of Medicine degree from the University of California, Los Angeles School of Medicine in 1998 where she graduated with distinction and was inducted into the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society. Subsequently, she completed her Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery residency at UCLA Medical Center from 1998-2004. Because of her special interest in sinonasal disorders, she proceeded to do a Rhinology & Endoscopic Skull Base Surgery subspecialty fellowship under David W. Kennedy, M.D., James N. Palmer, M.D., Alexander G. Chiu, M.D., and Noam Cohen, M.D., Ph.D. at the University of Pennsylvania from 2004-2005. Dr. Kennedy was responsible for pioneering Endoscopic Sinus Surgery in the United States.
On a national level, Dr. Lee holds multiple leadership positions in her specialty. She was elected to the Board of Directors of the American Rhinologic Society in 2014 and is currently Associate Editor of Sinonasal Disorders for Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery, the official journal of the American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery Foundation. She was also recently appointed to the International Outreach Task Force of the American Rhinologic Society and is a Founding Member of the United States Women in Rhinology Council. In addition, Dr. Lee was elected Inaugural President of the Women in Rhinology Section of the American Rhinologic Society, and currently serves on the Editorial Boards for the American Journal of Rhinology & Allergy and the International Forum of Allergy & Rhinology- the official journal of the American Rhinologic Society.
Dr. Lee has been invited to lecture both nationally and internationally on endoscopic surgical approaches to sinonasal/skull base pathology and novel therapies for chronic sinusitis. She has given over 470 instructional course lectures, panels, and scientific presentations, as well as authored over 100 peer-reviewed articles and textbook chapters. In 2020, Dr. Lee was appointed International Chair of the American Rhinologic Society. In addition, Dr. Lee was bestowed an Honor Award by the American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery Foundation in 2014 and received an AAO-HNSF Excellence Award for Distinguished Service in Rhinology & Allergy Education in 2016.
- American Rhinologic Society- Board of Directors
- American Board of Otolaryngology – Diplomate
- American College of Surgeons- Fellow
- American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery
- American Academy of Otolaryngic Allergy
- North American Skull Base Society
- European Rhinologic Society
- International Rhinologic Society
- International Society of Infection and Allergy of the Nose
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
- Associate Professor, Department of Head and Neck Surgery, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
Medical Board Certification
- American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery Foundation – 2014 Star Reviewer for Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery Journal, the official journal of the AAO-HNSF (2014)
- American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery Foundation – Honors Award for Distinguished Service on Committees, Scientific Programs, Exhibits, Continuing Education Courses, and Instructional Courses (2014)
- Alpha Omega Alpha 1997 See More
- Role of Innate Immunity in Chronic Rhinosinusitis
- Intrinsic Antimicrobial Factors of Sinonasal Epithelia
- Sinonasal Microbiome
- Minimally Invasive Surgery for Sinonasal and Skull Base Tumors
- Technologic Innovations in Office-Based Rhinologic Procedures
- Novel Treatments for Recalcitrant Chronic Rhinosinusitis with and without Nasal Polyposis
- Drug-Eluting Biomaterials and Topical Medical Therapies for Chronic Rhinosinusitis
Recent Peer-Reviewed Publications:
- Lee JT. Paradigm Shifts in the Medical and Surgical Management of Rhinologic and Allergic Disease. American Journal of Rhinology and Allergy 2016; Nov;30(6): 377-8.
- Varshney R and Lee JT. Topical Therapies for Chronic Rhinosinusitis. Expert Opinion In Drug Delivery 2017 Feb;14(2): 257-271. doi: 10.1080/ 17425247.2016.1214563.
- Lee JT, Suh JD, Carrau R, Chu M, and Chiu AG. Endoscopic Denker's Approach for Resection of Lesions involving the Anteroinferior Maxillary Sinus and Infratemporal Fossa. Laryngoscope 2017 Mar; 127(3): 556-560.
- Lee JT, Frank DN, and Ramakrishnan VR. Microbiome of the Paranasal Sinuses American Journal of Rhinology and Allergy 2016; Jan; 30(1): 3-16.
- Varshney R and Lee JT. New Innovations in Office-Based Rhinology. Current Opinion In Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery 2016; Feb; 24(1): 3-9
- Lee JT and Kennedy DW. Endoscopic sinus surgery. In: Bailey BJ and Johnson JT, editors. Head & Neck Surgery—Otolaryngology, Fourth Edition. New York: Lippincott-Raven. 2006; 459-475
- Lee JT. Maximal medical management of chronic rhinosinusitis: Pre-operative preparation and positioning. In: Palmer JN and Chiu AG, editors. Atlas of Endoscopic Sinus and Skull Base Surgery. Pennsylvania: Elsevier Saunders. 2013; 47-63.
- Lee JT. Operative rhinology. In: Brown S, Pollock K, Setzen M, and Tabaee A, editors. The Essential Guide to Coding in Otolaryngology: Coding, Billing, and Practice Management. California: Plural Publishing. 2016; 241-254.
- Kuan E and Lee JT. Complications of Rhinosinusitis. In: Chan Y and Senior B, editors. Rhinology and Allergy Clinical Reference Guide, California: Plural Publishing. 2018; 243-252.
- Lee JT and Chiu AG. Endoscopic Denker's approach to the maxillary sinus and infratemporal fossa. In: Palmer JN, Adappa N, and Chiu AG, editors. Atlas of Endoscopic Sinus and Skull Base Surgery, Second Edition. Pennsylvania: Elsevier Saunders. 2018.
In the News
The Doctors TV - Dr. Jivianne Lee: Explaining Sinusitis Surgery
The Doctors TV - Dr. Jivianne Lee: Vacuum-Powered Device for Removing Nasal Polyps
The Doctors TV - Dr. Jivianne Lee: Cutting-Edge Treatment for Nasal Polyps
The Doctors TV - Dr. Jivianne Lee: Cutting-Edge Surgery Helps Woman Finally Breathe Through Her Nose