Dr. Joel S. Beckett is a Health Sciences Assistant Clinical Professor in the Department of Neurosurgery. He is a dual-fellowship trained neurosurgeon who specializes in the surgical treatment of spinal disorders such as stenosis, disk herniations, spondylolisthesis, spinal deformity and tumors. With extensive training in both minimally invasive and complex spinal surgery, he takes pride in working with his patients to customize each treatment plan to achieve their goals. In addition to providing the highest level of care for his patients, Dr. Beckett is passionate about teaching and mentoring students and resident neurosurgeons.
He is also active in research and has co-authored over 30 peer-reviewed publications focusing on technological advances such as 'big data', artificial intelligence and virtual reality to improve surgical outcomes. Dr. Beckett's research interests are centered on the utilization of modern imaging data and machine learning to better quantitate changes in the aging spine.
Areas of Focus
- Super Doctors® Southern California Rising Stars 2023
- Young Neurosurgeon Council (AANS) Elected Member (2018-2022)
- Resident Teaching Award (UCLA, 2019)
- California Association of Neurologic Surgeons Southern Region Resident Representative (2017-2018)
- Resident Quality Award (UCLA, 2015)
- Olga Levin Foundation Fellow (2015-2016)
- Farr Scholar (Yale School of Medicine, 2011-2012)
- Doris Duke Charitable Foundation Clinical Scholars Fellowship (2011-2012)