John Moriarty, MD, RPVI
Dr. Moriarty is a specialist in vascular and interventional radiology at UCLA. He is a member of both the departments of Radiology and of Medicine (cardiology). He is director of the program for interventional innovation and co-director of vascular ultrasound service.
His areas of clinical expertise and research interest include venous disease, deep vein thrombosis (DVT), pulmonary embolism (PE), IVC filters and arteriovenous venous malformations. His expertise also includes the use of advanced imaging scans for cardiac and vascular disease diagnosis and management, as well as delivering highly precise vascular therapy to control bleeding, treat tumors and shrink malformations (embolization).
His research interests are primarily clinical: He is the national principal investigator for the RAPID registry of Angiovac usage for treatment of clots and vegetations, and an investigator on multiple trials for stents, IVC filter, treatment of acute and chronic DVTs and novel embolic materials. He has published numerous papers and book chapters, and given many national and international invited lectures on these topics.
Dr. Moriarty obtained his medical degree from University College Dublin in Dublin, Ireland, where he graduated with First Class Honours (Summa Cum Laude) in both Medicine and Surgery, and received the Misericordiae Gold Medal for placing first in his graduating class. After completing his internship in both medicine and surgery, he commenced his internal medicine residency in the Mater University Hospital, Dublin, and completed his board certification in Internal Medicine (MRCPI) in 2005.Dr. Moriarty commenced his radiology residency in 2005, also in the Mater Hospital. He served as Chief Resident and also received the Radiologic Society of Ireland Gold Medal in 2007, prior to becoming a fellow of the Faculty of Radiologists in 2008. Dr. Moriarty moved to UCLA in 2009 where he completed fellowships in Interventional Radiology and Cardiovascular Imaging. Upon completion of his fellowship, Dr. Moriarty accepted a faculty position at UCLA. He is board certified by the American Board of Radiology, and holds a certificate of added qualification in Vascular and Interventional Radiology.
He currently serves as an Associate Professor at UCLA. His primary goals are to provide the highest quality of care for his patients in interventional radiology and cardiovascular radiology, with a focus on arterial and venous disease therapeutics, advanced imaging, AVMs, dialysis interventions, and embolization.
Todd's Story:2-Foot Blood Clot 'Vacuumed' Out Of Patient By UCLA Doctors Huffington Post
2-Foot Blood Clot Removed by UCLA Doctors GeoBeats News (YouTube)
AngioVac Removes Blood Clot. Todd's Story | YouTube video UCLA Health
Medical Board Certifications
Areas of Focus
- Venous disease
- IVC Filtration
- Transcatheter treatment of Pulmonary Embolism
- Renal Denervation
- Peripheral Arterial Disease
- Minimally Invasive Aortic Interventions
- Applications of MRI in Congenital Heart Disease
- Prostatic Embolization
- Development and Validation of MRI techniques for Cardiovascular and Cardiopulmonary Imaging
- Applications of MRI in Interventional Radiology and interventional Cardiology
- Removal of Caval and Right Atrial Thrombi and Masses Using the AngioVac Device: Initial Operative Experience. Moriarty JM, Al-Hakim R, Bansal A, Park JK. J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2016 Jun 6. pii: S1051-0443(16)30023-9. doi: 10.1016/j.jvir.2016.03.045. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 27282218 Similar articles Select item 27106647
- Early Experience with AngioVac Aspiration in the Pulmonary Arteries. Al-Hakim R, Park J, Bansal A, Genshaft S, Moriarty JM. J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2016 May;27(5):730-4. doi: 10.1016/j.jvir.2016.01.012. PMID: 27106647 Similar articles Select item 26384401
- Renal Denervation: A Novel Therapy at the Crossroads of Imaging, Intervention, and Innovation. Moriarty JM, Tung R, Bradfield JS, McWilliams J, Lee EW, Kuo MD. J Lab Autom. 2016 Apr;21(2):312-6. doi: 10.1177/2211068215605838. Epub 2015 Sep 17. PMID: 26384401 Similar articles Select item 26070621
- Alternative Aortic Access: Translumbar, Transapical, Subclavian, Conduit, and Transvenous Access to the Aorta. Steinberger JD, McWilliams JP, Moriarty JM. Tech Vasc Interv Radiol. 2015 Jun;18(2):93-9. doi: 10.1053/j.tvir.2015.04.007. Epub 2015 Apr 10. PMID: 26070621 Similar articles Select item 25824254
- ACR Appropriateness Criteria Imaging in the Diagnosis of Thoracic Outlet Syndrome. Moriarty JM, Bandyk DF, Broderick DF, Cornelius RS, Dill KE, Francois CJ, Gerhard-Herman MD, Ginsburg ME, Hanley M, Kalva SP, Kanne JP, Ketai LH, Majdalany BS, Ravenel JG, Roth CJ, Saleh AG, Schenker MP, Mohammed TL, Rybicki FJ. J Am Coll Radiol. 2015 May;12(5):438-43. doi: 10.1016/j.jacr.2015.01.016. Epub 2015 Mar 29. Review. PMID: 25824254 Similar articles Select item 25814410
- Reply to the Editor-More Awarenessless Risk-Interpretation of Ablation Risk Caused by Coronary Arterial Anatomy. Mao J, Moriarty JM, Mandapati R, Boyle NG, Shivkumar K, Vaseghi M. Heart Rhythm. 2015 Jul;12(7):e66-7. doi: 10.1016/j.hrthm.2015.03.038. Epub 2015 Mar 24. No abstract available. PMID: 25814410 Free PMC Article Similar articles Select item 25623008
- Frequency of nonthromboembolic imaging abnormalities in pregnant women referred for computed tomography pulmonary arteriography. Moriarty JM, Bolster F, O'Connor C, Fitzpatrick P, Lawler LP, Kavanagh EC, MacMahon PJ, Murray JG. Can Assoc Radiol J. 2015 Feb;66(1):24-9. doi: 10.1016/j.carj.2014.11.006. PMID: 25623008 Similar articles Select item 25496546
- Applications of cardiac CT in the tetralogy of Fallot patient. Lluri G, Aboulhosn JA, Moriarty JM, Finn JP, Ruehm SG, Budoff MJ, Vorobiof G, Yang EH. JACC Cardiovasc Imaging. 2014 Dec;7(12):1276-9. doi: 10.1016/j.jcmg.2014.04.025. No abstract available. PMID: 25496546 Free Article Similar articles Select item 25485779
- Catheter ablation of accessory pathways near the coronary sinus: value of defining coronary arterial anatomy. Mao J, Moriarty JM, Mandapati R, Boyle NG, Shivkumar K, Vaseghi M. Heart Rhythm. 2015 Mar;12(3):508-14. doi: 10.1016/j.hrthm.2014.11.035. Epub 2014 Dec 5. Erratum in: Heart Rhythm. 2015 May;12(5):1100. PMID: 25485779 Free PMC Article Similar articles Select item 25100141
- ACR Appropriateness Criteria® nontraumatic aortic disease. Expert Panel on Vascular Imaging, Kalva SP, Dill KE, Bandyk DF, Francois CJ, Gerhard-Herman MD, Hanley M, Mohler ER 3rd, Moriarty JM, Oliva IB, Schenker MP, Weiss C, Rybicki FJ; American College of Radiology. J Thorac Imaging. 2014 Sep;29(5):W85-8. doi: 10.1097/RTI.0000000000000107. PMID: 25100141 Similar articles Select item 25086500
- High-field MR imaging in pediatric congenital heart disease: initial results. Nguyen KL, Khan SN, Moriarty JM, Mohajer K, Renella P, Satou G, Ayad I, Patel S, Boechat MI, Finn JP. Pediatr Radiol. 2015 Jan;45(1):42-54. doi: 10.1007/s00247-014-3093-y. Epub 2014 Aug 3. PMID: 25086500 Free PMC Article Similar articles Select item 25008372
- AngioVac Aspiration for Paradoxical Emboli Protection through a Fenestrated Fontan During Central Venous Thrombus Manipulation. Al-Hakim R, Patel K, Moriarty JM. Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol. 2015 Jun;38(3):752-4. doi: 10.1007/s00270-014-0953-7. Epub 2014 Jul 10. PMID: 25008372 Similar articles Select item 24794055
- Giant left atrial appendage mimicking a mediastinal mass in a new diagnosis of atrial septal defect and pulmonic stenosis. Yang EH, Moriarty JM, Lluri G, Aboulhosn JA. Int J Cardiol. 2014 Aug 1;175(2):e27-9. doi: 10.1016/j.ijcard.2014.04.122. Epub 2014 Apr 18. No abstract available. PMID: 24794055 Similar articles Select item 24630748
- Inferior vena cava filter retrieval: effectiveness and complications of routine and advanced techniques. Al-Hakim R, Kee ST, Olinger K, Lee EW, Moriarty JM, McWilliams JP. J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2014 Jun;25(6):933-9; quiz 940. doi: 10.1016/j.jvir.2014.01.019. Epub 2014 Mar 13. PMID: 24630748 Similar articles Select item 24183748
- Top Doctors, Los Angeles Magazine, 2021