Dr. Stern is a Professor in the Department of Neurology, Director of the Epilepsy Clinical Program and Director of the Epilepsy Fellowship Training Program at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA. His clinical activities encompass a full range of diagnostic and treatment modalities for seizures and epilepsy. Throughout his career, Dr. Stern's research focus has been on the networks of the brain's functional activity that produce the manifestations of seizures and epilepsy.
His publications include numerous original research papers and reviews. He authored the book Atlas of EEG Patterns and served as co-editor for the books Medication-Resistant Epilepsy: Diagnosis and Treatment and Atlas of Video-EEG Monitoring. Dr. Stern's clinical focus is based on the integration of the diagnostic information from patients' narratives, video-EEG monitoring, and both structural and functional imaging to reach greater accuracy in the seizure and epilepsy diagnosis, and then to use this diagnosis to provide the most effective treatment for seizure control.
Medical Board Certifications
- Epilepsy diagnosis and treatment
- Functional connectivity within the human brain
- Ogren JA, Tripathi R, Macey PM, Kumar R, Stern JM, Eliashiv DS, Allen LA, Diehl B, Engel J Jr, Rani S, Lhatoo SD, Harper RM. Regional cortical thickness changes in patients with generalized tonic-clonic seizures. NeuroImage: Clin 2018;20:205-215.
- Kanner AM, Ashman E, Gloss D, Harden C, Bourgeois B, Bautista JF, AbouKhalil B, Burakgazi-Dalkilic E, Park EL, Stern JM, Hirtz D, Nespeca M, Gidal B, Faught E, French J. Practice guideline update: Efficacy and tolerability of the new antiepileptic drugs I: Treatment of new-onset epilepsy. Neurology 2018;91:74-81.
- Kanner AM, Ashman E, Gloss D, Harden C, Bourgeois B, Bautista JF, AbouKhalil B, Burakgazi-Dalkilic E, Park EL, Stern JM, Hirtz D, Nespeca M, Gidal B, Faught E, French J. Practice guideline update: Efficacy and tolerability of the new antiepileptic drugs II: Treatment resistant epilepsy. Neurology 2018;91:82-90.
- Chiang S, Vannucci M, Goldenholz D, Moss R, Stern JM. Epilepsy as a dynamic disease: A model for differentiating seizure risk from natural variability. Epilepsia Open 2018;doi:10.1002/epi4.12112.
- Stern JM, Cendes F, Gilliam F, Kwan P, Ryvlin P, Sirven J, Smith B, Adomas A, Walter L. Neurologist-patient communication about epilepsy in the United States, Spain, and Germany. Neurology: Clin Practice 2018;8:1-9.
- Bailey JN, de Nijs L, Bai D, Suzuki T, Miyamoto H, Tanaka M, Patterson C, Lin YC, Medina M, Alonso ME, Serratosa JM, Durón RM, Nguyen VH, Wight JE, Martínez-Juárez IE, Ochoa A, Jara-Prado A, Guilhoto L, Molina Y, Yacubian EM, Lopez-Ruiz M, Inoue Y, Kaneko S, Hirose S, Osawa M, Oguni H, Fujimoto S, Grisar TM, Stern JM, Yamakawa K, Lakaye B, Delgado-Escueta AV. Variant intestinal cell kinase in Juvenile Myoclonic Epilepsy. N Engl J Med 2018;378:1018-2018.
- Chiang S, Vankov ER, Yeh HJ, Guindani M, Vannucci M, Haneef Z, Stern JM. Temporal and spectral characteristics of dynamic functional connectivity between resting-state networks reveal information beyond static connectivity. PLoS One 2018;13:e0190220.
- Kerr W, Janio E, Braesch C, Le J, Hori J, Patel A, Gallardo N, Bauirjan J, Chau A, Hwang E, Davis E, Buchard A, Torres-Barba D, D'Ambrosio S, Al Banna M, Cho A, Engel J Jr., Cohen M, Stern J. An objective score to identify psychogenic seizures based on age of onset and history. Epilepsy Beh 2018;80:75-83.
- Aghajan ZM, Schuette P, Fields T, Tran M, Siddiqui S, Hasulak N, Tcheng T, Eliashiv D, Mankin EA, Stern J, Fried I, Suthana N. Theta oscillations in the human medial temporal lobe during real world ambulatory movement. Curr Biol 2017;27:3743-3751.
- Chiang S, Guindani M, Yeh HJ, Dewar S, Haneef Z, Stern JM, Vannucci M. A hierarchical Bayesian model for the identification of PET markers associated to the prediction of surgical outcome after anterior temporal lobe resection. Front Neurosci 2017;11:669.
- Serge & Yvette Dadone Clinical Teaching Award, Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, 2017
- Awarded to two faculty members among more than 2000.
- Southern California Super Doctors®, chosen 2008-2019. Hall of Fame, 2017
- Best Doctors in America, chosen 2005-2018
- Castle Connolly Top Doctors, chosen 2018
- Top Doctors, Los Angeles Magazine, chosen 2016, 2017
- Leading Physicians of the World, International Association of Healthcare Professionals,chosen 2012, 2013, 2016, 2017
- America’s Top Physicians, Consumers’ Research Council of America, chosen 2009-2014
- UCLA Neurology Faculty Teaching Award (Golden Hammer), 2011
- Outstanding Teaching to Residents Award, UCLA Department of Neurology, 1999
- Hawk Prize for outstanding research in biochemistry, Wesleyan University, 1989
- Sigma Xi Scientific Honor Society, elected membership, 1988