Dr. Stern is a Professor in the Department of Neurology, Director of the Epilepsy Clinical Program and Director of the Epilepsy Fellowship Training Program at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA. His clinical activities encompass a full range of diagnostic and treatment modalities for seizures and epilepsy. Throughout his career, Dr. Stern's research focus has been on the networks of the brain's functional activity that produce the manifestations of seizures and epilepsy.
Dr. Stern's clinical focus is based on the integration of the diagnostic information from patients' narratives, video-EEG monitoring, and both structural and functional imaging to reach greater accuracy in the seizure and epilepsy diagnosis, and then to use this diagnosis to provide the most effective treatment for seizure control.
His publications include numerous original research papers and reviews. He authored the book Atlas of EEG Patterns, co-authored the book Imaging of Epilepsy, and was co-editor for the books Medication-Resistant Epilepsy: Diagnosis and Treatment and Atlas of Video-EEG Monitoring.
Medical Board Certifications
Areas of Focus
- Epilepsy diagnosis and treatment
- Functional connectivity within the human brain
In the News
Reuters Health, 12/2021; Intracranial EEG prediction of seizure focality.
Neurology Today, 12/2021; Changes to US epilepsy centers from 2012-2019.
Los Angeles Business Journal, 6/2020; DEARhealth’s epilepsy care platform.
Reuters Health, 1/2020; Continuous EEG monitoring utilization.
- New York Times, 9/2018; Conversion disorder and psychogenic non-epileptic seizures.
- National Public Radio, 2/2018; Psychogenic non-epileptic seizures.
- US News and World Report, 3/2017; Epilepsy overview.
- BuzzFeed media website, 6/2016; Epilepsy overview.
- Boston Globe newspaper, 8/2015; Pharmacotherapy for epilepsy
- Southern California Super Doctors®, chosen 2008-2022. Hall of Fame, 2017
- Best Doctors in America, chosen 2005-2020
- Castle Connolly Top Doctors, chosen 2018 - 2021
- Top Doctors, Los Angeles Magazine, chosen 2012, 2016, 2017
- Leading Physicians of the World, International Association of Healthcare Professionals,chosen 2012, 2013, 2016, 2017
- America’s Top Physicians, Consumers’ Research Council of America, chosen 2009-2014
- Serge & Yvette Dadone Clinical Teaching Award, Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, 2017; Awarded to two faculty members among more than 2000.
- UCLA Neurology Faculty Teaching Award (Golden Hammer), 2011; Outstanding Teaching to Residents Award, UCLA Department of Neurology, 1999
- Hawk Prize for outstanding research in biochemistry, Wesleyan University, 1989
- Sigma Xi Scientific Honor Society, elected membership, 1988