Dr. Joshua G. Cohen is a board certified gynecologic oncologist with specialized training in gynecologic cancer treatment as well as clinical care and research. He offers a comprehensive and compassionate multidisciplinary approach to the treatment of gynecological malignancies including pre-invasive, invasive and advanced-stage gynecologic cancers. He has completed a fellowship in the treatment of women with gynecologic cancers including patients at high risk for ovarian and uterine cancers because of genetic mutations or strong family history, and of unknown etiology and concern for possible malignancy or difficult resection. Dr. Cohen is an expert in tumor cytoreduction and in the use of robotic surgery — including the state-of-the-art da Vinci® surgical system—and advanced laparoscopic procedures that reduce the need for open, more invasive surgical techniques for cancer care. Dr. Cohen has received teaching awards for his efforts in gynecologic surgery education and serves as the UCLA Gynecologic Oncology Fellowship Director. Dr. Cohen is a Fellow in the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology and a Fellow in the American College of Surgeons.
He has distinguished himself in gynecologic cancer research and has completed the Clinical Research Training Program at the National Institutes of Health as well as the Clinical and Translational Science Institute certificate program at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA. His research interests include the treatment of recurrent ovarian cancer and patient centered outcomes in gynecologic oncology. He serves patients in the greater Los Angeles area with offices in Westlake Village and Westwood offering a full range of oncology services and providing access to specialized research, clinical trials and diagnostic services.
VideosEndometrial Cancer Treatment: Surgical Advancements and Personalized Medicine
Gynecologic Cancers: What to Ask Your OB/GYN
HPV Vaccine: What You Need to Know
How to Lower Risks for Gynecological Cancer
Medical Board Certifications
- Mesko, S, Sandler, K, Cohen, JG, Konecny, G., Steinberg, M., & Kamrava, M. (2017). Clinical Outcomes for Stereotactic Ablative Radiotherapy in Oligometastatic and Oligoprogressive Gynecological Malignancies. International journal of gynecological cancer, 27(2), 403-408.
- Prendergast, EN, Holzapfel, M, Mueller, J, Leitao, M, Gunderson, C, Moore, KN, Erickson B.K., Leath, Ca, Diaz Moore ES, Cohen JG, & Walsh, C. S. (2017). Three versus six cycles of adjuvant platinum-based chemotherapy in early stage clear cell ovarian carcinoma - A multi-institutional cohort. Gynecologic oncology, 144(2), 274-278.
- Zakhour, M, Cohen, JG, Gibson, A, Walts, AE, Karimian B, Baltayan A, Aoyama C, Garcia L, Dhaliwal SK, Elashoff D, Amneus M, Walsh, C. (2017). Abnormal mismatch repair and other clinicopathologic predictors of poor response to progestin treatment in young women with endometrial complex atypical hyperplasia and well-differentiated endometrial adenocarcinoma: a consecutive case series. BJOG: an international journal of obstetrics and gynaecology, 124(10), 1576-1583.
- Cohen, JG, Prendergast, E., Geddings, JE, Walts, A. E., Agadjanian, H., Hisada, Y., Karlan BY, Mackman N, Walsh C (2017). Evaluation of venous thrombosis and tissue factor in epithelial ovarian cancer. Gynecologic oncology, 146(1), 146-152.
- Rouch, J, Li, A, Cohen JG, Kazanjian, K, and Festekjian, J (2017). Re-Exploration of Vertical Rectus Abdominis Myocutaneous Flap for Vaginal Reconstruction: case report and review of the literature. Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive, and Anesthetic Surgery.
- Liang, M. I., Wong, D. H., Walsh, C. S., Farias Eisner, R., and Cohen, JG. (2018). Cancer Genetic Counseling and Testing: Perspectives of Epithelial Ovarian Cancer Patients and Gynecologic Oncology Healthcare Providers. Journal of genetic counseling, 27(1), 177-186.
- Kim, J, Liang M, Prendergast, E, Alldredge, J, Datta, A, Hurtea J, Kirschner, C, Rodriguez, G, Jenkins Vogel, T, Brooks, R, Cass, I, Cohen, JG, Penner, K, Wang C, and Diaz Moore, E. Is more always better? Clinical outcomes in ovarian cancer patients receiving three versus more than three chemotherapy cycles after neoadjuvant chemotherapy and interval cytoreductive surgery. International Journal of Gynecologic Cancer. 2019 Jul 27. pii: ijgc-2019-000374. doi: 10.1136/ijgc-2019-000374.
- Liang MI, Prendergast EN, Staples JN, Holschneider CH, Cohen JG, Cass I. Prognostic role of pathologic response and cytoreductive status at interval debulking surgery after neoadjuvant chemotherapy for advanced epithelial ovarian cancer. J Surg Oncol. 2019 Jul 8. doi: 10.1002/jso.25612.
- Takayanagi, A, Florence TJ, Hariri O, Armstrong A, Yazdian P, Sumida A, Quadri S, Cohen JG, and Tehrani O. Brain metastases from cervical cancer reduce longevity independent of overall tumor burden. Surg Neurol Int 2019;10:176.
- Prendergast EN, Holman LL, Liu AY, Lai TS, Campos MP, Fahey JN, Wang X, Abdelaal N, Rao JY, Elvin JA, Moore KM, Konecny GE, Cohen JG. Comprehensive genomic profiling of recurrent endometrial cancer: Implications for selection of systemic therapy. Gynecologic Oncology September 2019 154(3), 461-466. doi: 10.1016/j.ygyno.2019.06.016.
- Mardock, A. L., Rudasill, S. E., Lai, T. S., Sanaiha, Y., Wong, D. H., Sinno, A. K., P Benharash, Cohen, JG. (2020). Readmissions after ovarian cancer cytoreduction surgery: The first 30 days and beyond. Journal of Surgical Oncology, ahead of online print, July 2020 doi: 10.1002/jso.26137.
- Top Doctors, Los Angeles Magazine, 2021
- Top Doctors, Los Angeles Magazine, 2019
- Top Doctors, Los Angeles Magazine, 2018
- Super Doctors® Southern California Rising Stars 2018
- Super Doctors® Southern California Rising Stars 2017
- Super Doctors® Southern California Rising Stars 2016