Dr. Goldman is a Health Science Assistant Clinical Professor within the Departments of Family Medicine and Orthopaedic Surgery. At UCLA, Dr. Goldman specializes in the care of athletes and provides high-quality care to patients of all ages with both medical and musculoskeletal issues. He is considered an expert in non-surgical orthopedic issues as well as musculoskeletal ultrasound. He is also one of the few physicians in the Los Angeles area with expertise in minimally invasive orthopedic procedures including:
- Ultrasound-guided joint injections (knee, hip, shoulder, wrist, elbow, and ankle)
- Orthobiologic injections including hyaluronic acid and platelet-rich plasma (PRP)
- Ultrasound-guided percutaneous needle tenotomy for the treatment of tendinosis (chronic tendon-related pain)
- Ultrasound-guided needle barbotage for calcific tendinosis (calcium deposits within a tendon)
In addition to his UCLA Health clinical practice, he is the team physician for UCLA football, men's soccer, and women's water polo teams. He has previously served as a team physician for UCLA baseball, softball, and men's volleyball as well as a volunteer team physician at the United States Olympic Training Center, USA Hockey, and the Association of Volleyball Professionals (AVP).
He also serves in many administrative roles within University. These include the Associate Director for the Orthopedic Institute for Children's Center for Sports Medicine, the Associate Director of the UCLA Steve Tisch BrainSPORT Program, and the Program Director for the UCLA Sports Medicine fellowship.
He received both his medical degree and Master in Business Administration from the University of Southern California, completed residency training in Family Medicine at UCLA, and completed his Sports Medicine fellowship training at UCLA. He is a member of the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine where he serves on the Education and Fellowship committees, the PAC-12 Student-Athlete Health Conference Committee, the American College of Sports Medicine, and the American Academy of Family Physicians.
Medical Board Certifications
- Concussion in Sports
- Pediatric Sports Medicine
- Hamstring Injuries
- Klein AP, Tetzlaff JE, Bonis JM, Nelson LD, Mayer AR, Huber DL, Harezlak J, Mathews VP, Ulmer JL, Sinson GP, Nencka AS, Koch KM, Wu YC, Saykin AJ, DiFiori JP, Giza CC, Goldman J, Guskiewicz KM, Mihalik JP, Duma SM, Rowson S, Brooks A, Broglio SP, McAllister T, McCrea MA, Meier TB. Prevalence of Potentially Clinically Significant Magnetic Resonance Imaging Findings in Athletes with and without Sport-Related Concussion. J Neurotrauma. 2019 Jun;36(11):1776-1785.
- Stemper BD, Shah AS, Harezlak J, Rowson S, Duma S, Mihalik JP, Riggen LD, Brooks A, Cameron KL, Giza CC, Houston MN, Jackson J, Posner MA, McGinty G, DiFiori J, Broglio SP, McAllister TW, McCrea M; And the CARE Consortium Investigators. Repetitive Head Impact Exposure in College Football Following an NCAA Rule Change to Eliminate Two-A-Day Preseason Practices: A Study from the NCAA-DoD CARE Consortium. Ann Biomed Eng. 2019 Oct;47(10):2073-2085.
- Meier TB, Giraldo-Chica M, España LY, Mayer AR, Harezlak J, Nencka AS, Wang Y, Koch KM, Wu YC, Saykin AJ, Giza CC, Goldman J, DiFiori JP, Guskiewicz KM, Mihalik JP, Brooks A, Broglio SP, McAllister T, McCrea MA. Resting-State fMRI Metrics in Acute Sport-Related Concussion and Their Association with Clinical Recovery: A Study from the NCAA-DOD CARE Consortium. J Neurotrauma. 2020 Jan 1;37(1):152-162.
- McCrea M, Broglio SP, McAllister TW, Gill J, Giza CC, Huber DL, Harezlak J, Cameron KL, Houston MN, McGinty G, Jackson JC, Guskiewicz K, Mihalik J, Brooks MA, Duma S, Rowson S, Nelson LD, Pasquina P, Meier TB; and the CARE Consortium Investigators, Foroud T, Katz BP, Saykin AJ, Campbell DE, Svoboda SJ, Goldman J, DiFiori J. Association of Blood Biomarkers With Acute Sport-Related Concussion in Collegiate Athletes: Findings From the NCAA and Department of Defense CARE Consortium. JAMA Netw Open. 2020 Jan 3;3(1):e1919771.
- Brett BL, Wu YC, Mustafi SM, Saykin AJ, Koch KM, Nencka AS, Giza CC, Goldman J, Guskiewicz KM, Mihalik JP, Duma SM, Broglio SP, McAllister TW, McCrea MA, Meier TB. The Association Between Persistent White-Matter Abnormalities and Repeat Injury After Sport-Related Concussion. Front Neurol. 2020 Jan 21;10:1345.
- Stemper BD, Shah AS, Mihalik JP, Harezlak J, Rowson S, Duma S, Riggen LD, Brooks A, Cameron KL, Giza CC, Goldman J, Houston MN, Jackson J, McGinty G, Broglio SP, McAllister TW, McCrea M. Head Impact Exposure in College Football following a Reduction in Preseason Practices. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2020 Jan 21.
- Caccese JB, Bodt BA, Iverson GL, Kaminski TW, Bryk K, Oldham J, Broglio SP, McCrea M, McAllister T, Buckley TA; CARE Consortium Investigators. Estimated Age of First Exposure to Contact Sports and Neurocognitive, Psychological, and Physical Outcomes in Healthy NCAA Collegiate Athletes: A Cohort Study. Sports Med. 2020 Jan 30.
- Schmidt JD, Rawlins MLW, Lynall RC, D'Lauro C, Clugston JR, McAllister TW, McCrea M, Broglio SP; CARE Consortium Investigators. Medical Disqualification Following Concussion in Collegiate Student-Athletes: Findings from the CARE Consortium. Sports Med. 2020 Jun 16.
- Brett, BL, Kramer, MD, McCrea, MA, Broglio, SP, McAllister, TW, Nelson, LW, CARE Consortium Investigators, Hazzard, JB, Jr, Kelly, LA, Ortega, J, Port, N, Pasquina, PF, Jackson, J, Cameron, KL, Houston, MN, Goldman, JT, Giza, C, Buckley, T, Clugston, JR, Schmidt, JD, Susmarski, A. Bifactor Model of the Sport Concussion Assessment Tool Symptom Checklist: Replication and Invariance Across Time in the CARE Consortium Sample. Am J Sports Med. 2020;48(11):2783-2795.
- Caccese, JB, Houck, Z, Kaminski, TW, Clugston, JR, Iverson, GL, Bryk, KN, Oldham, JR, Pasquina, PF, Broglio, SP, McAllister, TW, McCrea, M, Hoy, A, Hazzard, JB, Jr, Kelly, LA, Ortega, JD, Port, N, Putukian, M, Langford, TD, Giza, CC, Goldman, JT. Estimated age of first exposure to American football and outcome from concussion. Neurology. 2020;10.1212.
- Lacey Wyatt Family Medicine Teacher of the Year Recipient
- UCLA Exceptional Physician, 2020
- Southern California Rising Stars, 2018
- Southern California Rising Stars, 2017
- Southern California Rising Stars, 2016