Joyce Matsumoto is a California native who is now somehow surrounded by people from New Jersey. She attended Pacific Union College and received Bachelor of Science degrees in Biology and Chemistry with a Biochemistry emphasis, then received her MD from Loma Linda University. She has been in the University of California system ever since, completing Neurology residency at UCLA, Epilepsy fellowship at UCSF, then returning to UCLA to join the Pediatric Neurology faculty.
She is the medical director of the UCLA Ketogenic diet therapies program, and is currently the Pediatric epilepsy fellowship director and the director of the Pediatric EEG lab at Ronald Reagan and UCLA Santa Monica hospitals. Her research interests include exploring potential medical benefits of ketosis for conditions outside of epilepsy, as well as continuous EEG monitoring in critically ill patients.
Medical Board Certifications
- Matsumoto J, Saver JL, Brennan KC and Ringman JM. Mitochondrial Encephalomyopathy with Lactic Acidosis and Stroke (MELAS). Reviews in Neurological Diseases. 2005; 2: 30-34.
- Hemb M, Velasco TR, Parnes MS, Wu JY, Lerner JT, Matsumoto JH, Yudovin S, Shields WD, Sankar R, Salamon N, Vinters HV, Mathern GW. Improved outcomes in pediatric epilepsy surgery: the UCLA experience, 1986-2008. Neurology 2010;74(22):1768-75.
- Lerner JL, Matsumoto JH, Wu JY, “Infantile Spasms” In: Atlas of Video-EEG Monitoring, Editors: Sirven J and Stern J. 2010 McGraw Hill, p 329-340.
- Wu JY, Sankar R, Lerner JT, Matsumoto JH, VintersHV, Mathern GW. Removing interictal fast ripples on electrocorticography linked with seizure freedom in children. Neurology 2010.75(19):1686-94.
- Matsumoto JH and Lerner JT. “First steps toward epilepsy syndrome diagnosis” In Acute Seizures in Children in the Emergency Setting., Editors: Auvin S and Sankar R. 2013 John Libbey Eurotext, p
- Matsumoto JH, Caplan R, McArthur DL, Forgey MJ, Yudovin S, Giza CC. Prevalence of epileptic and nonepileptic events after pediatric traumatic brain injury. Epilepsy Behav 2013. 27(1) :233-237.
- Abend NS, Arndt DH, Carpenter JL, Chapman KE, Cornett KM, Gallentine WB, Giza CC, Goldstein JL, Hahn CD, Lerner JT, Loddenkemper T, Matsumoto JH, McBain K, Nash KB, Payne E, Sánchez SM, Fernández IS, Shults J, Williams K, Yang A, Dlugos DJ. Electrographic seizures in pediatric ICU patients: Cohort study of risk factors and mortality. Neurology 2013. 81(4):383-391.
- Sánchez SM, Arndt DH, Carpenter JL, Chapman KE, Cornett KM, Dlugos DJ, Gallentine WB, Giza CC, Goldstein JL, Hahn CD, Lerner JT, Loddenkemper T, Matsumoto JH, McBain K, Nash KB, Payne E, Sánchez Fernández I, Shults J, Williams K, Yang A, Abend NS. Electroencephalography monitoring in critically ill children: Current practice and implications for future study design. Epilepsia 2013. 54(8):1419-27
- Arndt DH, Lerner JT, Matsumoto JH, Madikians A, Yudovin S, Valino H, McArthur DL, Wu JY, Leung M, Buxey F, Szeliga C, Van Hirtum-Das M, Sankar R, Brooks-Kayal A, Giza CC. Subclinical early posttraumatic seizures detected by continuous EEG monitoring in a consecutive pediatric cohort. Epilepsia 2013Oct;54(10):1780-8.
- Sánchez Fernández I, Abend NS, Arndt DH, Carpenter JL, Chapman KE, Cornett KM, Dlugos DJ, Gallentine WB, Giza CC, Goldstein JL, Hahn CD, Lerner JT, Matsumoto JH, McBain K, Nash KB, Payne E, Sánchez SM, Williams K, Loddenkemper T. Electrographic seizures after convulsive status epilepticus in children and young adults. A retrospective multicenter study J Pediatr. 2013 Oct 22. S0022-3476(13)01155-4.
- Hussain SA, Shinnar S, Kwong G, Lerner JT, Matsumoto JH, Wu JY, Shields WD, Sankar R. Treatment of infantile spasms with very high dose prednisolone before high dose ACTH. Neurology, 2014 Jan;55(1):103-7.
- Cobo N, Sankar R, Murata K, Sewak S, Kezele M, Matsumoto JH. The ketogenic diet as broad spectrum treatment for super-refractory pediatric status epilepticus: challenges in implementation in the pediatric & neonatal intensive care units. J Child Neurology. 2014 Jan 23. [Epub ahead of print]