Dr. Wagner earned his B.A. with honors in Human Development at the University of Chicago and is an AOA graduate of the University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine. He completed his residency in General Surgery at the UCLA David Geffen School of Medicine and his fellowship in Pediatric General and Thoracic Surgery at the University of Nebraska Medical Center/Children's Hospital and Medical Center of Omaha. Dr. Wagner is certified in Surgery and Pediatric Surgery by the American Board of Surgery.
Dr. Wagner's research interests are in domestic and international surgical education, technological innovation in surgical training, and engineering novel treatments for aganglionic and dysganglionic conditions of the gastrointestinal tract.
Medical Board Certifications
Areas of Focus
- Wagner JP and Hiatt JR. B-type natriuretic peptide for the evaluation of volume status in elderly postoperative patients. JAMA 2014;311(19):2017-8.
- Wagner JP, Sullins VF, Dunn JCY. Transplanted skin-derived precursor stem cells generate enteric ganglion-like structures in vivo. J Pediatr Surg 2014;49(8):1319-25.
- Sullins VF, Scott A, Wagner JP, Steinberger D, Lee SL, Wu BM, Dunn JCY. Intestinal lengthening in an innovative rodent surgical model. J Pediatr Surg 2014;49(12):1791-4.
- Wagner JP, Sullins VF, Dunn JCY. Skin-derived precursors generate enteric-type neurons in aganglionic jejunum. J Pediatr Surg 2014;49(12):1809-14.
- Wagner JP, Chen DC, Donahue TR, Quach C, Hines OJ, Hiatt JR, Tillou A. Assessment of resident operative performance using a real-time mobile web system: Preparing for the milestone age. J Surg Educ; 2014:71(6):e41-6.
- Wagner JP, Tillou A, Nguyen DK, Agopian VG, Hiatt JR, Chen DC. A real-time, mobile web-based module promotes bidirectional feedback and improves evaluations of the surgery clerkship. Am J Surg 2015;209(1):101-6.
- Wagner JP, Schroeder AD, Espinoza JC, Hiatt JR, Mellinger JD, Cusick RA, Fitzgibbons RJ, Campanelli G, Cavalli M, Roll S, Silva RA, Reinpold W, Télémaque LF, Matthews BD, Filipi CJ, Chen DC. Global outreach using a systematic, competency-based training paradigm for inguinal hernioplasty. JAMA Surgery 2017;152(1)66-73.
- Wagner JP, Cochran AL, Jones C, Gusani NJ, Varghese TK Jr, Attai DJ. Professional use of social media among surgeons: Results of a multi-institutional study. J Surg Educ 2018;75(3):804-10.
- Wagner JP, Lewis CE, Tillou A, Agopian VG, Quach C, Donahue TR, Hines OJ. Use of entrustable professional activities in the assessment of surgical resident competency. JAMA Surgery 2018;153(4):335-43.
- Wagner JP, Cusick RA. Paint and wait management of giant omphaloceles. Semin Pediatr Surg 2019;28(2):95-100.
In the News
Welcome, Robin the AI Robot
Robin the robot helping to improve lives of children at UCLA hospital
Google Glass. UCLA Surgery
UCLA Surgeons Using Google Glass as Global Teaching Tool
UCLA physicians use Google Glass to teach surgery abroad
Note: News website links may expire without notice.
- Southern California Rising Stars, Super Doctors®, 2023
- Linnea Hauge, PhD Promising Educational Scholar Award, Association for Surgical Education
- Basic Science Research Prize, Pacific Association of Pediatric Surgeons
- Outstanding Resident Teacher Award, Association for Surgical Education
- Rosenkrantz Basic Science Research Award, American Academy of Pediatrics Section on Surgery
- Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society