Kambiz Nael, MD
Kambiz Nael, MD is a Professor in the Division of Neuroradiology at David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA. He is a board-certified Radiologist with specialty certification in Neuroradiology.
Dr. Nael is a graduate of the Shiraz Medical School. He completed a surgical internship at the Huntington Memorial Hospital in Pasadena, California. He did Radiology Residency followed by a Fellowship in Diagnostic Neuroradiology at David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA. He then worked 3 years in University of Arizona as an Assistant Professor of Medical imaging, and 5 years as an Associate Professor of Radiology at Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York before joining UCLA in Jan 2020.
Dr. Nael's clinical and research interests include advanced imaging, quantitative neuroimaging, and multiparametric imaging approach in diagnosis of variety of cerebrovascular disorders and brain and spinal neoplasms.
Dr. Nael has contributed to numerous publications and book chapters. He has given talks and presented research at many national and international meetings. He is a senior member of the American Society of Neuroradiology and also holds membership in the Radiologic Society of North America, International Society of Magnetic Resonance Imaging in Medicine, Western Neuroradiology Society, American Society of Head and Neck Radiology (ASHNR), and American Heart Association, Stroke Council (AHA/ASA).
Medical Board Certifications
- Nael K, Khan R, Choudhary R, Meshksar A, Tay J, Drake K, Coull BM, Kidwell C.S. "A Six Minute MRI Protocol for Evaluation of Acute Ischemic Stroke: Pushing the Boundaries". Stroke. 2014 Jul;45(7):1985-91.
- Nael K, Lafleur SR, Trouard TP, Krupinski EA, Salamon N, Kidwell C.S. "White matter Ischemic Changes in Hyperacute Ischemic Stroke: A Voxel-based Analysis Using DTI and MR Perfusion". Stroke. 2015 Feb;46(2):413-8. PMID: 25523053
- Dagher J, Nael K. MAGPI: A Framework for Maximum Likelihood MR Phase Imaging Using Multiple Receive Coils. Magn Reson Med. 2016 Mar;75(3):1218-31. PMID: 25946426.
- Nael K, Knitter J, Jahan R, Alger JR, Nenov V, Ajani Z, Feng L, Meyer BC, Olson Schwamm, LS, Yoo AJ, Marshall RS, Meyers PM, Yavagal DR, Wintermark M, Liebeskind DS, Guzy J, Starkman S, Saver JL, Kidwell CS. Prediction of Thrombolysis-induced Parenchymal Hemorrhage in Patients with Acute Ischemic Stroke: Use of MR Perfusion and Diffusion Biomarkers (MRRESCUE Clinical Trial). Stroke. 2017 Mar;48(3):664-670. PMID: 28138001.
- Nael K, Bauer A, Hormigo A, Lemole M, Germano I, Puig J, Stea B. Multiparametric MRI for Differentiation of Radiation Necrosis from Recurrent Tumor in Patients with Treated Glioblastoma. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2018 Jan;210(1):18-23. PMID: 28952810
- Nael K, Doshi A, De leacy R, Puig J, Castellanos M, Bederson J, Naidich T, Mocco J, Wintermark M. MR Perfusion to Determine the Status of Collaterals in Patients with Acute Ischemic Stroke: Look Beyond Time-maps. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2018 Feb;39(2):219- 225. PMID:29217747
- Sakai Y, Delman BN, Fifi JT, Tuhrim S, Wheelwright d, Doshi AH, Mocco J, Nael K. Estimation of Infarction Volume Using CT Perfusion: Bayesian vs. Singular-Value Deconvolution Post-processing. Stroke. 2018 Oct;49(10):2345-2352. PMID: 30355089
- Song J, Kadaba P, Kravitz A, Hormigo A, Friedman J, Belani P, Hadjipanayis C, Ellingson BM, Nael K. Multiparametric MRI for early identification of therapeutic response in recurrent glioblastoma treated with immune checkpoint inhibitors. Neuro Oncol. 2020 Mar 20:noaa066. doi: 10.1093/neuonc/noaa066. Online ahead of print. PMID: 32193547
- Hao Q, Tsankova NM, Shoirah H, Kellner CP, Nael K. Vessel Wall MRI Enhancement in Noninflammatory Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2020 Mar;41(3):446-448. PMID: 32139424
- Nael K. Detection of Acute Infarction on Non-Contrast-enhanced CT: Closing the Gap with MRI via Machine Learning. Radiology. 2020;294(3):645–646. PMID 31990628
- 2017 New York Roentgen Society (NYRS) Young Faculty Research Award
- Distinguished Reviewer of AJNR (2016)
- Distinguished Reviewer of AJNR (2015)
- Roentgen Resident/Fellow Research Award from RSNA Research & Education Foundation, 2011