Dr. Kate Kolstad is a general rheumatologist who practices in the Santa Barbara/Montecito area. She enjoys treating the full spectrum of rheumatological conditions including lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, Sjogren's syndrome, psoriatic arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, vasculitis, myositis, scleroderma, gout, osteoarthritis, osteoporosis, and fibromyalgia. She started her career as a basic scientist, completing her PhD in Molecular Cell Biology at UC Berkeley. She received her medical degree at UCLA and completed her Internal Medicine Residency, Postdoctoral Fellowship, and Rheumatology Clinical Fellowship at Stanford University. She is thrilled to return to her home of Santa Barbara and to UCLA Health. Throughout her career she has had a special clinical and research interest in the intersection of rheumatology and dermatology as well as women's health and rheumatic diseases.
Outside of the office, Dr. Kolstad enjoys spending time with her husband, two young sons, and dog.
Medical Board Certifications
1. Kolstad KD*, Postolova A*, Fiorentino D, Chung L."Clinical significance of autoantibodies in inflammatory Muscle Disease” (2017) In: M Hochberg, A Silman, J Smolen, M Weinblatt, M Weisman, and E Gravallese (Eds.) 7th edition Rheumatology. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier.
2. Kolstad KD, Fiorentino D, Li S, Chakravarty EF, Chung. Pregnancy outcomes in adult patients with dermatomyositis and polymyositis. Semin Arthritis Rheum 2018 Jun;47(6):865-869.
3. Gourh P, Remmers EF, Boyden SE, Alexander T, Morgan ND, Shah AA, Mayes MD, Doumatey A, Bentley AR, Shriner D, Domsic RT, Medsger TA, Steen VD, Ramos PS, Silver RM, Korman B, Varga J, Schiopu E, Khanna D, Hsu V, Gordon JK, Saketkoo LA, Gladue H, Kron B, Criswell LA, Derk CT, Bridges SL, Shanmugam VK, Kolstad KD, Chung L, Jan R, Bernstein EJ, Goldberg A, Trojanowski M, Kafaja S, Maksimowicz-McKinnon KM, Mullikin J, Adeyemo A, Rotimi C, Boin F, Kastner D, Wigley FM. Brief report: whole-exome sequencing to identify rare variants and gene networks that increase susceptibility to scleroderma in African Americans. Arthritis Rheumatol (Hoboken, NJ) 2018;70(10):1654–1660.
4. Kolstad KD, Li S, Steen VD, Chung L, PHAROS investigators.Long-term outcomes in systemic sclerosis associated pulmonary arterial hypertension from the pulmonary hypertension assessment and recognition of outcomes in scleroderma registry (PHAROS). Chest 2018 Oct;154(4):862-871.
5. Kolstad KD, Mayo JA, Chung L, Chaichian Y, Kelly VM, Druzin M, Stevenson DK, Shaw GM, and Simard JF. Preterm birth phenotypes in women with autoimmune rheumatic diseases: A population based cohort study. BJOG 2020 Jan;127(1):70-78.
6. Chung MP, Kolstad KD, Dontsi M, Postlethwaite D, Manwani P, Zhao H, Kesh S, Simard JF, Chung L. Increased rates of obstetric complications prior to systemic sclerosis diagnosis. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2020 Dec 8;10.1002/acr.24533
7. Oldroyd A, Allard AB, Callen J, Chinoy H, Chung L, Fiorentino D, George MD, Gordon P, Kolstad KD, Kurtzman D, Machado PM, McHugh NJ, Postolova A, Selva-O'Callaghan A, Schmidt J, Tansley S, Vleugels RA, VP Werth, R AggarwalA systematic review and meta-analysis to inform cancer screening guidelines in idiopathic inflammatory myopathies. . Rheumatology (Oxford). 2021 Jun 18;60(6):2615-2628
*equal contribution to work