Kevin M. Miller, MD
Kevin M. Miller, MD, is a full professor and the Kolokotrones Chair in Ophthalmology at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA. He is the Chief of the Cataract and Refractive Surgery Division, Director of the Anterior Segment Diagnostic Laboratory, and a member of the Stein Eye Institute.
He received his undergraduate training in electrical engineering at the Johns Hopkins University Whiting School of Engineering. Working for the US Naval Research Laboratory, he developed a facility for testing Cesium atomic clocks used in Global Positioning System satellites under space flight conditions. He received his MD degree at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. This was followed by an internship in Baltimore at the Franklin Square Hospital Center and a research fellowship in Ophthalmic Optics at the Wilmer Eye Institute at Johns Hopkins. He did his residency training at the UCLA Stein Eye Institute and joined the full time faculty at UCLA in 1991. His clinical practice is devoted to refractive cataract surgery, laser refractive surgery (LASIK, PRK, phakic lens implantation, corneal inlays), and the rehabilitation of eyes with complex anterior segment surgical problems.
Dr. Miller is the recipient of four endowed cataract research funds at UCLA including the Paul Vicari fund, the Pat and Joe Yzurdiaga fund, the Albert Sarnoff fund, and the Amalia Simon Roth fund. He received the Honor, Senior Honor, and two Secretariat awards from the American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO). He is a member of numerous professional organizations including the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery (ASCRS), the European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery (ESCRS), and the International Intra-Ocular Implant Club (IIIC). Dr. Miller's teaching activities span the range of training from undergraduate students to practicing ophthalmologists. He supervises research projects taken on by undergraduates at UCLA. He is an instructor in several required and elective medical school courses and has been involved in resident, national fellow, and international fellow training at the Stein Eye Institute for over 20 years. He served on the AAO Basic and Clinical Science Course committee for 10 years, editing 3 editions of the Clinical Optics textbook. He served on the AAO Anterior Segment Preferred Practice Patterns committee, editing two editions of Cataract in the Adult Eye. He served on the AAO Maintenance of Certification committee and the Compass committee, developing educational content for practicing ophthalmologists and materials for the One Network. He currently serves on the AAO Program Planning committee, Preferred Practice Patterns committee, and the Skills Transfer Advisory committee. For the ASCRS, he serves on the Cataract Clinical committee, the Retina Clinical committee, and the Skills Transfer Advisory committee.
He writes a regular column for EyeWorld, an ASCRS publication. He was an organizer of the cataract sections for the 2012 and 2014 World Congresses of Ophthalmology. He serves on the editorial boards of the American Journal of Ophthalmology, EyeNet Magazine, Cataract and Refractive Surgery Today, and Em Foco, a Brazilian language publication. He is a reviewer for many ophthalmic journals. He has delivered approximately 225 invited lectures at international meetings and approximately 550 lectures at domestic meetings. He has organized approximately 100 instructional courses for residents, fellows, and practicing ophthalmologists.
Medical Board Certifications
- Tongbai R, Yu F, Miller KM. Multivariate nonparametric techniques for astigmatism analysis. J Cataract Refract Surg 2010; 36:594-602.
- Miller AR, Miller KM. Outcomes of cataract extraction in seeing eyes of functionally monocular versus completely monocular patients. J Cataract Refract Surg 2010; 36:712-7.
- Holland E, Lane S, Horn JD, Ernest P, Arleo R, Miller KM. The AcrySof Toric intraocular lens in subjects with cataracts and corneal astigmatism: A randomized, subject-masked, parallel-group, 1-year study. Ophthalmology 2010; 117:2104-11.
- Miller KM. Consultant for: Chang DF. Intraoperative floppy iris syndrome. Focal Points. San Francisco: American Academy of Ophthalmology, 2010. Volume XXVIII, Number 11.
- Aldave AJ, Baghdasaryan E, Miller KM. Descemet stripping endothelial keratoplasty after Ophtec 311 iris reconstruction lens implantation. Cornea 2011; 30:405-8.
- Nejad M, Injev VP, Miller KM. Laboratory analysis of phacoemulsifier compliance and capacity. J Cataract Refract Surg 2012; 38:2019-28.
- Date RC, Yu F, Miller KM. Confirmation and refinement of the Diehl-Miller nomogram for intraocular lens power calculation in post-LASIK eyes. J Cataract Refract Surg 2013; 39:745-51.
- Ryoo NK, Kwon JW, Wee WR, Miller KM, Han YK. Thermal imaging comparison of Signature, Infiniti, and Stellaris phacoemulsification systems. BMC Ophthalmol 2013; 13:53-8.
- Date RC, Olson MD, Shah M, Masket S, Miller KM. Outcomes of a modified capsule tension ring with a single black occluder paddle for eyes with congenital and acquired iris defects: report 2. J Cataract Refract Surg 2015; 41:1934-44.
- Bartlett JD, Miller KM. The economics of femtosecond laser-assisted cataract surgery. Curr Opin Ophthalmol 2016;27:76-81.
- 2018 Los Angeles Magazine Top Doctors
- 2015 Secretariat Award (second award), American Academy of Ophthalmology
- 2013 Pat and Joe Yzurdiaga Endowed Cataract Research Fund
- 2013 First listing in Southern California Super Doctors
- 2013 Best Paper of Session, Annual meeting of the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- 2012 Secretariat Award (first award), American Academy of Ophthalmology
- 2012 First listing in Castle Connolly Southern California's Top Doctors
- 2011 First listing in Castle Connolly America's Top Doctors
- 2010 First listing in Who's Who in Science and Engineering
- 2010 First listing in Best Doctors in America
- 2009 First listing in Super Doctors Los Angeles
- 2008 First listing in Who's Who in America
- 2006 Senior Honor Award, American Academy of Ophthalmology
- 2006 Paul Vicari Endowed Cataract Research Fund
- 2006 Elected into Membership in the Intra-Ocular Implant Club
- 2005 Kolokotrones Endowed Chair in Ophthalmology
- 2004 Best Paper of Session, Annual meeting of the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- 1997 Honor Award, American Academy of Ophthalmology
- 1996 Physician's Recognition Award, American Medical Association
- 1996 Best Paper of Session, Annual meeting of the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- 1993 Fellow, American Academy of Ophthalmology
- 1991 Resident Research Award, Jules Stein Eye Institute
- 1991 Jules Stein Eye Institute Quiz Award, Jules Stein Eye Institute
- 1991 Heed Ophthalmic Foundation Award (declined)
- 1990 Resident Research Award, Jules Stein Eye Institute
- 1987 National Children's Eye Care Foundation Award
- 1985 Harold Lamport Research Fund Award, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- 1981 General and Departmental Honors, Johns Hopkins University GWC Whiting School of Engineering
- 1981 Eta Kappa Nu, National Electrical Engineering Honor Society
- 1980 Tau Beta Pi, National Engineering Honor Society