Assistant Professor of Urology
Director of Endourology Research
Associate Director of Endourology Fellowship Program
Clinical expertise: Kidney stone treatment and Benign prostatic hyperplasia management
- AUA Western Section’s Young Urologist of the Year for 2022
Areas of Focus
Research Interests: Our focus is on performing truly translational research focused on the long-term goal of identifying therapeutic targets that will improve current stone management and thus enhance quality of life for the rising percentage of the population with stone disease. To that end, current work focuses on contributing to our understanding of kidney stone pathogenesis and the role of bacteria in this process. Our second research focus is on elucidating the mechanisms underlying ureteral peristalsis and addressing the management of the dysfunctional peristalsis and infection that often develop in nephrolithiasis patients with obstructing ureteral calculi.
Selected recent publications:
- Kisa P, Scotland K, Afshar K, MacNeily AE. Surveying unmet pediatric urological needs in low- and middle-income countries. Journal of Pediatric Urology,2020 doi.org/10.1016/j.jpurol.2020.12.023.
- Scotland, K. and G. M. Watson. The Current Status of Global Urology. Current Bladder Dysfunction Reports 15 (2020):345 - 351.
- Scotland KB, Hubbard L, Cason D, Banks J, Leong JY, Healy K, Leiby B, Hubosky SG, Bagley DH. Long term outcomes of ureteroscopic management of upper tract urothelial carcinoma. Urol Oncol. 2020 Nov;38(11):850.e17-850.e26.
- Lim J, Scotland KB*, Bechis SK, Sur RL, Nakada SY, Antonelli JA, Streeper N, Sivalingam S, Viprakasit D, Averch TD, Landman J, Chi T, Pais VM Jr, Bird V, Andonian S, Bhojani N, Canvasser NE, Harper JD, Penniston KL, Chew BH. Metabolic Syndrome Negatively Impacts Stone Specific Quality of Life. J Endourol 2020 Nov, 34 (11): 1203-08
- Scotland KB, Kung SH, Chew BH, Lange D. Uropathogens Preferrentially Interact with Conditioning Film Components on the Surface of Indwelling Ureteral Stents Rather than Stent Material. Pathogens. 2020 Sep 18;9(9):E764.
- Scotland KB, Wong V, Chan J, Tawfiek E, Chiura A, Chew B, Bagley D. Evaluation of a Single-Use Flexible Cystoscope: A Multi-Institutional International Study J Endourol 2020 Sep;34(9):981-986
- Huang L, Scotland KB, Yueyang L, Tan J, Hung S,Chew B, Chen DDY, Lange D. Determination of urinary prostaglandin E 2 as a potential biomarker of ureteral stent associated inflammation J Chromatog B Analyt Technol BioMed Life Sci 2020 May 15;1145:122107
- Graham-Knight JB, Scotland KB, Wong VKF, Djavadifar A, Lange D, Chew B, Lasserre P, Najjaran H. Accurate Kidney Segmentation in CT Scans Using Deep Transfer Learning. 2019 Dec. Special Session Paper, International Conference on SMART MULTIMEDIA
- Forbes C, Lim J, Chan J, Paterson R, Gupta M, Chew B, Scotland KB. Introduction of an ex-vivo pig model for teaching percutaneous nephrolithotomy access techniques CUAJ, 2019 Oct;13(10):355-360
- Scotland KB, Ardekani GS, Chan JY, Paterson R, Chew B. Total Surface Area Influences Stone Free Outcomes in Shock Wave Lithotripsy for Distal Ureteral Calculi J Endo 2019 Aug;33: 661-666
AUA Western Section’s Young Urologist of the Year for 2022