Medical Board Certifications
Addiction Psychiatry, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, 2008
Psychiatry, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, 2007
Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, 2006
New York Hospital - Cornell University Medical Ctr, 2005
New York University School of Medicine, 2002
SUNY Downstate Medical Center College of Medicine, MD, 2001
Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center
UCLA Santa Monica Medical Center
UCLA Resnick Neuropsychiatric Hospital
"The Opioid Addiction Epidemic: A Public Health Crisis"
- Mooney, L.J., Glasner-Edwards, S., Marinelli-Casey, P., Hillhouse, M., Ang, A., Hunter, J., Haning, B., Colescott, P., Ling, W., & Rawson, R.A. (2009). Health conditions in methamphetamine-dependent adults 3 years after treatment. Journal of Addiction Medicine, 3(3), 155-163. PMID: 21769012.
- Mooney, L.J., Nielsen, S., Saxon, A., Hillhouse, M., Thomas, C., Hasson, A., Stablein, D., McCormack, J., Lindbald, R., & Ling, W. (2012). Cocaine Use Reduction with Buprenorphine (CURB): Rationale, Design, and Methodology. Journal of Contemporary Clinical Trials, 34(2), 196-204. PMCID: PMC3760415.
- Mooney, L.J., Hillhouse, M.P., Thomas, C., Ang, A., Sharma, G., Terry, G., Chang, L., Walker, R., Trivedi, M., Croteau, D., Sparenborg, S., & Ling, W. (2016). Utilizing a Two-Stage Design to Investigate the Safety and Potential Efficacy of Monthly Naltrexone Plus Once-Daily Bupropion as a Treatment for Methamphetamine Use Disorder. Journal of Addiction Medicine. 10(4):236-43. PMCID: PMC4969133.
- Mooney, L.J., Cooper, C., London, E., Chudzinski, J., Dolezal, B.A., Dickerson, D., Brecht, M., Penate, J. & Rawson, R.A. (2014). Exercise for methamphetamine dependence: Rationale, design, and methodology. Contemporary Clinical Trials, 37, 139-147. PMCID: PMC4431553.
- Glasner-Edwards, S, Mooney, L.J., Ang, A., Garneau, H.C., Hartwell, E., Brecht, M.L., & Rawson, R.A. (2016). Mindfulness based relapse prevention for stimulant dependent adults: A pilot randomized clinical trial. Mindfulness, 1-10. PMCID: PMC5300086.
- Hser, Y.H., Mooney, L.J., Saxon, A.J., Miotto, K., Bell, D., Huang, D. (2017). Chronic pain among patients with opioid use disorder: Results from electronic health records data. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment77:26-30. PMCID: PMC5424616.
- Hser, Y.H., Mooney, L.J., Saxon, A.J., Miotto, K., Bell, D.S., Zhu, Y., Liang, D., and Huang, D. (2017). High mortality among patients with opioid use disorder in a large healthcare system. Journal of Addiction Medicine. 11(4):315-319. PMCID: PMC5930020.
- Mooney, L.J., Zhu, Y., Yoo, C., Valdez, J., Moino, K., Liao, J.Y., & Hser, Y.I. (2018). Reduction in cannabis use and functional status in physical health, mental health, and cognition. Journal of Neuroimmune Pharmacology 13(4):479-487. PMID: 30284156.
- Mooney, L.J. & Saxon, A. (2019). State of the art treatment for opioid use disorder. In Danovitch, I. & Mooney, L.J. (Eds.) The Assessment and Treatment of Addiction: Best Practices and New Frontiers. PA: Elselvier, Inc.
In the News
- "Drugs Made Me Do It" expert commentary, Bio Channel, June, 2013.
- "Recovering Addicts Often Use Food to Satisfy Cravings", Good Morning America interview, December 29, 2014.
- "Record Border Meth Seizures", KFI AM640 live interview with Bill Carroll, January 6, 2015.
- "Benzodiazepines: Helpful or Harmful?", quoted in US News and World Report article by Kirsten Fawcett, February 19, 2015.
- "The Risks of Alcohol, Marijuana, and Other Drugs, Explained", Vox.com, February 25, 2015.
- "High Hitler and his Nazi Supersoldiers" Expert commentary, American Heroes Channel, Blink Films, August, 2015.
- "Fearful of Opioid Addiction, Some Under-Medicate." Quoted in article by Rebecca Plevin, KPCC News Blog, August 17, 2016.
- "Medications to Treat Alcohol Abuse Are Often Overlooked." Quoted in article by Mary Brophy Marcus, CBS News.com, October 4, 2016.
- "Babies Born with Drug Withdrawal Symptoms Skyrocketing in Rural Areas". Quoted in article by David Mills, Healthline.com, December 12, 2016.
- "Broader Availability of Opioid Overdose Drug is Saving Lives." Interview for UCLA Newsroom, February 9, 2016.
- "US Drug Overdose Deaths Continue to Rise." Quoted in article by Rachael Rettner, LiveScience.com, February 24, 2017.
- "25% of all Overdoses are from Heroin." Quoted in article by Nadia Kounang, CNNHealth.com, February 24, 2017.
- "As Complaints About Licensed Rehab Centers Rise, What Should You Look Out For?"
- AirTalk KPCC live interview with Larry Mantle, May 21, 2017.
- "Addiction Treatment: The New Gold Rush. 'It's Almost Chic'." Quoted in article by Teri Sforza, Orange County Register, OCRegister.com, June 16, 2017.
- "Marijuana Moms Say Smoking Pot Makes Them Better Parents"
- Today Show Interview, August 1, 2017.
- "Digital Pills Track How Patients Use Opioids." Quoted in article by Emily Mullin, MIT Technology Review, December 11, 2017.
- "Your Shame-Free Guide to Taking Antidepressants for the First Time." Quoted in article by Carolyn Todd, Allure Magazine, May 17, 2018.
- "What does Methamphetamine Psychosis Feel Like?" Quoted in article by Elizabeth Brico, Vice.com, June 9, 2018.
- "3 Things Not to Say When a Loved One with Addiction Relapses – and 6 to Try Instead" Quoted in article by Carolyn L. Todd, Self Magazine, October 20, 2018.
- "U.S. Life Expectancy Dropped in 2017. Drug Overdose Deaths are a Big Reason Why." Quoted in article by Rachael Rettner, Livescience.com, November 29, 2018.