Medical Board Certifications
Addiction Psychiatry, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, 2008
Psychiatry, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, 2007
Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, 2006
New York Hospital - Cornell University Medical Ctr, 2005
New York University School of Medicine, 2002
SUNY Downstate Medical Center College of Medicine, MD, 2001
"The Opioid Addiction Epidemic: A Public Health Crisis"
- Mooney, L.J., Glasner-Edwards, S., Marinelli-Casey, P., Hillhouse, M., Ang, A., Hunter, J., Haning, B., Colescott, P., Ling, W., & Rawson, R.A. (2009). Health conditions in methamphetamine-dependent adults 3 years after treatment. Journal of Addiction Medicine, 3(3), 155-163. PMID: 21769012.
- Mooney, L.J., Nielsen, S., Saxon, A., Hillhouse, M., Thomas, C., Hasson, A., Stablein, D., McCormack, J., Lindbald, R., & Ling, W. (2012). Cocaine Use Reduction with Buprenorphine (CURB): Rationale, Design, and Methodology. Journal of Contemporary Clinical Trials, 34(2), 196-204. PMCID: PMC3760415.
- Mooney, L.J., Hillhouse, M.P., Thomas, C., Ang, A., Sharma, G., Terry, G., Chang, L., Walker, R., Trivedi, M., Croteau, D., Sparenborg, S., & Ling, W. (2016). Utilizing a Two-Stage Design to Investigate the Safety and Potential Efficacy of Monthly Naltrexone Plus Once-Daily Bupropion as a Treatment for Methamphetamine Use Disorder. Journal of Addiction Medicine. 10(4):236-43. PMCID: PMC4969133.
- Mooney, L.J., Cooper, C., London, E., Chudzinski, J., Dolezal, B.A., Dickerson, D., Brecht, M., Penate, J. & Rawson, R.A. (2014). Exercise for methamphetamine dependence: Rationale, design, and methodology. Contemporary Clinical Trials, 37, 139-147. PMCID: PMC4431553.
- Glasner-Edwards, S, Mooney, L.J., Ang, A., Garneau, H.C., Hartwell, E., Brecht, M.L., & Rawson, R.A. (2016). Mindfulness based relapse prevention for stimulant dependent adults: A pilot randomized clinical trial. Mindfulness, 1-10. PMCID: PMC5300086.
- Hser, Y.H., Mooney, L.J., Saxon, A.J., Miotto, K., Bell, D., Huang, D. (2017). Chronic pain among patients with opioid use disorder: Results from electronic health records data. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment77:26-30. PMCID: PMC5424616.
- Hser, Y.H., Mooney, L.J., Saxon, A.J., Miotto, K., Bell, D.S., Zhu, Y., Liang, D., and Huang, D. (2017). High mortality among patients with opioid use disorder in a large healthcare system. Journal of Addiction Medicine. 11(4):315-319. PMCID: PMC5930020.
- Mooney, L.J., Zhu, Y., Yoo, C., Valdez, J., Moino, K., Liao, J.Y., & Hser, Y.I. (2018). Reduction in cannabis use and functional status in physical health, mental health, and cognition. Journal of Neuroimmune Pharmacology 13(4):479-487. PMID: 30284156.
- Mooney, L.J. & Saxon, A. (2019). State of the art treatment for opioid use disorder. In Danovitch, I. & Mooney, L.J. (Eds.) The Assessment and Treatment of Addiction: Best Practices and New Frontiers. PA: Elselvier, Inc.
In the News
- "Drugs Made Me Do It" expert commentary, Bio Channel, June, 2013.
- "Recovering Addicts Often Use Food to Satisfy Cravings", Good Morning America interview, December 29, 2014.
- "Record Border Meth Seizures", KFI AM640 live interview with Bill Carroll, January 6, 2015.
- "Benzodiazepines: Helpful or Harmful?", quoted in US News and World Report article by Kirsten Fawcett, February 19, 2015.
- "The Risks of Alcohol, Marijuana, and Other Drugs, Explained", Vox.com, February 25, 2015.
- "High Hitler and his Nazi Supersoldiers" Expert commentary, American Heroes Channel, Blink Films, August, 2015.
- "Fearful of Opioid Addiction, Some Under-Medicate." Quoted in article by Rebecca Plevin, KPCC News Blog, August 17, 2016.
- "Medications to Treat Alcohol Abuse Are Often Overlooked." Quoted in article by Mary Brophy Marcus, CBS News.com, October 4, 2016.
- "Babies Born with Drug Withdrawal Symptoms Skyrocketing in Rural Areas". Quoted in article by David Mills, Healthline.com, December 12, 2016.
- "Broader Availability of Opioid Overdose Drug is Saving Lives." Interview for UCLA Newsroom, February 9, 2016.
- "US Drug Overdose Deaths Continue to Rise." Quoted in article by Rachael Rettner, LiveScience.com, February 24, 2017.
- "25% of all Overdoses are from Heroin." Quoted in article by Nadia Kounang, CNNHealth.com, February 24, 2017.
- "As Complaints About Licensed Rehab Centers Rise, What Should You Look Out For?"
- AirTalk KPCC live interview with Larry Mantle, May 21, 2017.
- "Addiction Treatment: The New Gold Rush. 'It's Almost Chic'." Quoted in article by Teri Sforza, Orange County Register, OCRegister.com, June 16, 2017.
- "Marijuana Moms Say Smoking Pot Makes Them Better Parents"
- Today Show Interview, August 1, 2017.
- "Digital Pills Track How Patients Use Opioids." Quoted in article by Emily Mullin, MIT Technology Review, December 11, 2017.
- "Your Shame-Free Guide to Taking Antidepressants for the First Time." Quoted in article by Carolyn Todd, Allure Magazine, May 17, 2018.
- "What does Methamphetamine Psychosis Feel Like?" Quoted in article by Elizabeth Brico, Vice.com, June 9, 2018.
- "3 Things Not to Say When a Loved One with Addiction Relapses – and 6 to Try Instead" Quoted in article by Carolyn L. Todd, Self Magazine, October 20, 2018.
- "U.S. Life Expectancy Dropped in 2017. Drug Overdose Deaths are a Big Reason Why." Quoted in article by Rachael Rettner, Livescience.com, November 29, 2018.