Preferred Name: Marcella Calfon Press
Dr. Calfon Press is an attending cardiologist and an Associate Clinical Professor of Cardiology at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA. She is Co-Director of the UCLA Women's Cardiovascular Health Center. A native of New York, Dr. Press is also one of the few female interventional cardiologists to perform coronary and peripheral angiograms. Her clinical interests include prevention of coronary artery disease and stroke, management of hypertension, coronary and peripheral artery disease, coronary stenting, and valve disease. She is a Fellow of the American College of Cardiology and a member of the American Heart Association.
Medical Board Certifications
- Weinberg I, Giri J, Calfon MA, Hawkins BM, Weinberg MD, Margey R, Hannon K, Schainfeld RM, Jaff MR. Anatomic correlates of supra-normal ankle brachial indices. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2012 Aug 17.
- Mallas G, Rosenthal A, Calfon MA, Razansky RN, Mauskapf A, Jaffer FA, Brooks DH, Ntziachristos V. Progress on multimodal molecular / anatomical intravascular imaging of coronary vessels combining near infrared fluorescence and ultrasound. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc.
- Vinegoni C, Botnaru I, Aikawa E, Calfon M, Iwamoto Y, Folco EJ, Ntziachristos V, Weissleder R, Libby P, Jaffer FA. Indocyanine Green enables near-infrared fluorescence imaging of lipid-rich inflamed atherosclerotic plaques. Science Translational Medicine. 2011 May 25; 3 (84).
- *Jaffer FA, *Calfon M, Amir Rozenthal, Georgios Mallas, R. Nika Razansky, Adam Mauskapf, Ralph Weissleder, Peter Libby, Vasilis Ntziachristos. Two-Dimensional Intravascular Near-Infrared Fluorescence Molecular Imaging of Inflammation in Rabbit Arterial Disease. JACC 2011 June 21.
- Calfon M, Amir Rosenthal, Georgios Mallas, Adam Mauskapf, Nika Razanksy, Vasilis Ntziachristos, Farouc Jaffer. In vivo Near Infrared Intravascular Fluorescence Molecular Imaging (NIRF) of inflammatory plaque, a multimodal approach to imaging of atherosclerosis. JOVE. August 2011.
- Calfon M, Vinegoni C, Ntziachristos V, Jaffer FA. Intravascular near-infrared fluorescence molecular imaging of atherosclerosis: toward coronary arterial visualization of biologically high-risk plaques. J Biomed Opt. 2010 Jan-Feb;15(1):011107. Review.
- Calfon M, Seddighhzadeh A, Piazza G, Goldhaber SZ. Deep vein thrombosis in orthopedic surgery. Clin Appl Thromb Hemost. 2009 Oct;15(5):512-6. Epub 2009 Jun 1.
- Harding HP, Zhang Y, Zeng H, Novoa I, Lu PD, Calfon M, Sadri N, Yun C, Popko B, Paules R, Stojdl DF, Bell JC, Hettmann T, Leiden JM, Ron D. An integrated stress response regulates amino acid metabolism and resistance to oxidative stress. Mol Cell. 2003 Mar;11(3):619-33.
- Harding HP, Zhang Y, Zeng H, Novoa I, Lu P, Calfon M, Sadri N, Yun C, Popko B, Paules R, Stojdl D, Bell J, Leiden J, Ron D. Atf-4 mediated resistance to oxidative stress. Mol Cell. 2003 March;11(3):619-33.
- Harding HP, Calfon M, Urano F, Novoa I, Ron D.Transcriptional and translational control in the Mammalian unfolded protein response. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol. 2002; 18:575-99. Epub 2002 Apr 02. Review.
- Calfon M, Zeng H, Urano F, Till JH, Hubbard SR, Harding HP, Clark SG, Ron D. IRE1 couples endoplasmic reticulum load to secretory capacity by processing the XBP-1 mRNA. Nature. 2002 Jan 3;415(6867):92-6.
- Urano F, Calfon M, Yoneda T, Yun C, Kiraly M, Clark S, Ron D. A survival pathway for C. elegans with a blocked unfolded protein response. J. Cell Biology, 2002 Aug 19;158(4):639-46.
- Sok J., Calfon M., Lu J., Lichtlen P., Clark S., Ron D. Arsenite-inducible RNA- associated protein (AIRAP) protects cells from arsenite toxicity. Cell Stress and Chaperones, 2001 Jan;6(1):6-15.
- Constam DB, Calfon M, Robertson EJ. SPC4, SPC6, and the novel protease SPC7 are coexpressed with bone morphogenetic proteins at distinct sites during embryogenesis. J Cell Biol. 1996 Jul;134(1):181-91.
- Meeson A, Palmer M, Calfon M, Lang R. A relationship between apoptosis and flow during programmed capillary regression is revealed by vital analysis. Development. 1996 Dec;122(12):3929-38.
- 2012 Herman K. "Chip" Gold, MD, MGH Young Investigator Award, Massachusetts General Hospital - Department of Cardiology
- 2008 William A. Schreyer Fellow, Massachusetts General Hospital - Department of Cardiology
- 2004 New York University School of Medicine - Eve R. Flechner Award - Department of Medicine
- 2003 New York University School of Medicine - Chapter of Alpha Omega Alpha
- 1997 Harvard University - John Harvard Academic Achievement Award
- 1995 Ford Foundation Research Fellowship Training Grant