Dr. Carlson is the medical director of the CARE Clinic and is responsible for the care of HIV infected adults, as well as the education of housestaff in HIV care at UCLA. She also sees both outpatients and inpatients with transplant related infections.
Medical Board Certification
Infectious Disease, American Board of Internal Medicine, 1996
UCLA School of Medicine, 1996
UCLA School of Medicine, 1993
UCLA School of Medicine, 1991
George Washington University School of Medicine, MD, 1990
Selected Recent Publications
- Jabs DA, Gilpin AM, Min YI, et al. Studies of Ocular Complications of AIDS Research Group. HIV and CMV viral load and clinical outcomes in AIDS and CMV Retinitis patients: Monoclonal Antibody CMV Retinitis Trial. AIDS 2002;16:877-887.
- Kilby J, Lalezari J, Eron J, Carlson, M, et al. Safety, Plasma Pharmacokinetics And Antiviral Activity of Subcutaneous T-20, A Peptide Inhibitor Of gp41-Mediated Infusion, In HIV Infected Adults. AIDS Research Human Retroviruses 2002;18:685-693.
- Holbrook, Janet et al. Visual Loss in Patients with CMV Retinitis and AIDS before Widespread Availability of Highly Active Antiretroviral Therapy. Archives of Ophthalmology 2003;121:99-107.
- Lalezari J, Eron J, Carlson M, et al. A Phase II clinical study of the long –term safety and antiviral activity of enfurtide-based antiretroviral therapy. AIDS 2003;17:691-698.
- Lalezari J, DeJesus E, Northfelt D, Richmond, Wolfe P, Haubrich R, Henry D, Powderly W, Becker S, Thompson M, Valentine F, Wright D, Carlson M, Riddler S, Haas F, DeMasi R, Sista P, Salgo M, Delehanty J. A controlled Phase II trial assessing three doses of enfuvirtide (T-20) in combination with abacavir, amprenavir, ritonavir and efavirenz in non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor-naïve HIV-infected adults. Antiviral Therapy, 2003:8(4) 279-287.
- Gulick, Roy et al for the AIDS Clinical Trials Group Study A5095 Team. Triple-Nucleoside Regimens versus Efavirenz-Containing Regimens for the initial Treatment of HIV-1 Infection. NEJM 2004; 350:1850-61.
- Gulick; Roy; Ribaudo H; Shikuma, C; Lalama, C; Schackman,B ; Meyer, W; Acosta,E; Schouten,J;Squires, K; Pilcher, C; Murphy.R; Koletar, S; Carlson, M; Reichman, R; Bastow, B; Klingman, K; Kuritzkes, D; for the AIDS Clinical Trials Group (ACTG) A5095 Study Team Three- vs Four-Drug Antiretroviral Regimens for the Initial Treatment of HIV-1 Infection: A Randomized Controlled Trial JAMA. 2006;296:769-781.
- Top Doctors, Los Angeles Magazine, 2021
- Top Doctors, Los Angeles Magazine, 2018