Dr. Vaseghi is a clinical cardiac electrophysiologist as well as the Director of Clinical and Translational Research at the UCLA Cardiac Arrhythmia Center. Dr. Vaseghi specializes in heart rhythm disorders and catheter ablation for atrial fibrillation, ventricular tachycardia, and other supraventricular arrhythmias. She is the principle investigator and co-investigator on several National Institute of Health studies evaluating the role of autonomic nervous system in heart rhythm disorders, and in particular, the develop of new neuromodulatory therapies as well as catheter ablation techniques to treat arrhythmias. She is a Fellow of the Heart Rhythm Society and American College of Cardiology and winner of the NIH New Innovator Award.
Medical Board Certifications
- Catheter ablation of atrial and ventricular arrhythmias
- Autonomic nervous system and cardiac arrhythmias
- Development of novel neuromodulatory and catheter ablation techniques to treat arrhythmias.
- Vaseghi M, Hu TY, Tung R, Vergara P, Frankel DS, Di Biase L, Tedrow UB, Gornbein JA, Yu R, Mathuria N, Nakahara S, Tzou WS, Sauer WH, Burkhardt DJ, Tholakanalli VN, Dickfeld TM, Weiss JP, Bunch TJ, Reddy M, Callans DJ, Lakkireddy DR, Natale A, Marchlinski FE, Stevenson WG, Della Bella P, Shivkumar K. Outcomes of catheter ablation of ventricular tachycardia based on etiology of nonischemic heart disease: An international ventricular tachycardia ablation center collaborative study. JACC Clin Electrophys 2018, 4:1141-1150.
- Huang WA, Dunipace MS, Sorg JM, Vaseghi M. Liver disease as a predictor of new-onset atrial fibrillation. J Am Heart Assoc 2018, 7(15):e008703, doi: 10.1161/JAHA.
- Yamaguchi N, Yamakawa K, Rajendran PS, Takamiya T, Vaseghi M. Anti-arrhythmic effects of vagal nerve stimulation after cardiac sympathetic denervation in the setting of chronic myocardial infarction. Heart Rhythm 2018, Heart Rhythm. 2018; 15:1214-1222
- Bradfield JS, Ajijola OA, Vaseghi M, Shivkumar K. Mechanisms and management of refractory ventricular arrhythmias in the age of autonomic modulation. Heart Rhythm 2018; 15:1252-1260
- Vergara P, Tung R, Vaseghi M, Brombin C, Frankel D, Di Biase L, Nagashima K, Tedrow U, Tzou WS, Sauer WH, Mathuria N, Nakahara S, Vakil K, Tholakanahalli V, Bunch TJ, Weiss JP, Dickfeld T, Vunnam R, Lakireddy D, Burkhardt JD, Correra A, Santangeli P, Callans D, Natale A, Marchlinski F, Stevenson WG, Shivkumar K, Della Bella P. Successful ventricular tachycardia ablation in patients with electrical storm reduces recurrences and improves survival. Heart Rhythm 2018;15;48-55.
- Vaseghi M, Salavatian SS, Rajendran PS, Yagishita P, Woodward WR, Hamon D, Yamakawa K, Irie T, Habecker BA, Shivkumar K.. Parasympathetic dysfunction and antiarrhythmic effect of vagal nerve stimulation following myocardial infarction. JCI Insight 2017;2:doi: 10.1172/jci.insight.86715, epub ahead of print.
- Irie T, Yamakawa K, Hamon D, Nakamura K, Shivkumar K, Vaseghi M. Cardiac mechanism of bilateral stellectomy. Am J Phys Heart Circ Phys 2017;312:H392-H405. Sympathetic innervation via the middle cervical ganglia and antiarrhythmic
- Vaseghi M, Barwad P, Corrales Malavassi FJ, Tandri H, Mathuria N, Shah R, Sorg JM, Gima J, Mandal K, Saenz Morales LC, Lokhandwala Y, Shivkumar K. Cardiac sympathetic denervation for refractory ventricular arrhythmias. J Am Coll Cardiology 2017;69:3070-3080
- Krokhaleva Y, Vaseghi M. How to evaluate for and manage inflammatory and infiltrative cardiomyopathies that require ventricular tachycardia ablation. Curr Cardiovasc Risk Rep 2017; 11:1-13.
- Yamakawa K, Rajendran PS, Takamiya T, Yagishita D, So EL, Mahajan A, Shivkumar K, Vaseghi M. Vagal nerve stimulation activates vagal afferent fibers that reduce cardiac efferent parasympathetic effects. Am J Phys Heart Circ Physiol 2015;309:H1579-90.
- 2018 Hear Rhythm Journal Notable Publications of the Year Award
- 2015 NIH New Innovator Award
- 2015 Joan and Douglas P Zipes Publication of the Year Award from Heart Rhythm Society
- 2009 Tibor Fabian Research Award, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
- 2008 Tibor Fabian Research Award, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA