Meghan H Pearl, MD, MS, is currently Assistant Clinical Professor of Pediatrics in the Division of Pediatric Nephrology at UCLA. After earning a B.A. in History of Medicine from Yale, Dr. Pearl attended medical school at the Mount Sinai School of Medicine. She then completed her pediatric residency at Children's Hospital Los Angeles and nephrology fellowship at UCLA. Dr. Pearl is board certified in Pediatrics and Pediatric Nephrology and received an MS in Clinical Research from UCLA.
Since joining UCLA faculty in 2016, Dr. Pearl has focused her career from both a clinical and research perspective in the area of pediatric kidney transplantation. Her primary research is focused on studying the impact of non-HLA antibodies on pediatric kidney transplant outcomes in collaboration with the UCLA Immunogenetics Center led by Dr. Elaine Reed. She has been the recipient of the American Society of Transplantation Young Investigator Award twice for her abstract submissions in this area. She also has an interest in novel immunosuppression regimens and therapeutics in pediatric kidney transplantation. Her research has been funded by grant awards from the National Kidney Foundation, the American Society of Nephrology, and the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. She attends on the inpatient pediatric wards at UCLA Mattel Children's Hospital and as a consultant at UCLA Medical Center Santa Monica. She provides outpatient clinical care at the Children's Health Center (200 Medical Plaza, Westwood).
Medical Board Certifications
- Kidney Transplantation
- Pre and Post Pediatric Kidney Transplant patients
- Pearl M, Leuchter R, Reed EF, Zhang Q, Ettenger R, Tsai E. "Accelerated Rejection, Thrombosis, and Graft Failure with Angiotensin II Type 1 Receptor Antibodies." Pediatric Nephrology. 2015 August; 30(8): 1371-1374. PMID:25956702
- Pearl M, Nayak A, Ettenger R, Puliyanda D, Palma Diaz MF, Zhang Q, Reed EF, Tsai E. "Bortezomib may Stabilize Pediatric Renal Transplant Recipients with Antibody-Mediated Rejection." Pediatric Nephrology. 2016 Aug; 31(8):1341-8. PMCID: PMC5590841
- Freischlag K, Pearl MH, Chambers ET. "The Clinical Impact of Non-HLA Antibodies in Solid Organ Transplantation." Clinical Transplants. 2016;32:31-43.
- Pearl M, Zhang Q, Palma-Diaz MF, Grotts J, Rossetti M, Elashoff D, Gjertson D, Weng P, Reed EF, Tsai E. "Angiotensin II Type 1 Receptor Antibodies, Inflammatory Cytokines, and Poor Clinical Outcomes in Pediatric Kidney Transplantation" Kidney International. 2018 Jan;93(1):260-269. PMCID: PMC5750071
- Pearl MH, Grotts J, Rossetti M, Zhang Q, Gjertson D, Weng P, Elashoff D, Reed EF and Tsai E. "Cytokine Profiles Associated With Angiotensin II Type 1 Receptor Antibodies" Kidney International Reports. 2018 Dec 21;4 (4):541-550.
- Pearl MH and Reed EF. "Angiotensin II Type I Receptor Antibodies in Pediatric Solid Organ Transplant" Human Immunology. 2019 Aug;80(8):568-572
- Seifert M, MD, Dahale D, Kamel M, Winterberg P, Barletta G, Belsha C, Chaudhuri A, Flynn J, Garro R, George R, Goebel J, Kershaw D, Matossian D, Misurac J, Nailescu C, Nguyen C, Pearl M, Pollack A, Pruette C, Singer P, VanSickle J, Verghese P, Warady B, Warmin A, Wickman L, Wilson A, Hooper D on behalf of the Improving Renal Outcomes Collaborative (IROC). "Standardizing Appropriate Blood Pressure Measurement: The Improving Renal Outcomes Collaborative" Pediatrics. 2020 Jun.; e20192833. doi:10.1542/peds.2019-2833.
- Hanson C, Craig J, Logeman C, Sinha A, Dart A, Eddy A, Guha C. Gipson D, Bockenhauer D, Yap H, Groothoff J, Zappitelli M, Webb N, Alexander S, Goldstein S, Furth S, Samuel S, Neu A, Viecelli A, Ju A, Sharma A, Au E, Desmond H, Shen J, Manera K, Azukaitis K, Dunn L, Anumudu S, Carter S, Gutman T, Cho Y, Walker A, Francis A, Sanchez-Kazi C, Kausman J, Pearl M, Benador N, Sahney S, Tong A. "Establishing core outcome domains in pediatric kidney disease: report of the Standardized Outcomes in Nephrology – Children and Adolescents (SONG-KIDS) consensus workshop" Kidney International, Accepted 7th May 2020.
- Super Doctors® Southern California Rising Stars 2021
- Super Doctors® Southern California Rising Stars 2020
- Super Doctors® Southern California Rising Stars 2019