Dr. Michael Dorsi is an Assistant Professor of Neurosurgery at UCLA. He is a Board-Certified, Fellowship- trained Neurosurgeon that specializes in minimally invasive spine surgery, brain surgery, and peripheral nerve surgery.
He has special clinical expertise and interest in minimally invasive spine surgery, Robotic Spine Surgery, XLIF, Spinal Cord Stimulation, Artificial Disc Replacement, peripheral nerve and brachial plexus injuries, peripheral nerve tumors, and brain tumors.
Dr. Dorsi is the Director of Community Neurosurgery and Peripheral Nerve Surgery and has been providing top-notch care to the Ventura County community since 2012. He is nationally recognized as a leader in the field of spinal cord stimulation for the treatment of chronic pain. He has authored/co-authored several publications and continues with clinical research focused on minimally invasive spine surgery and spinal cord stimulation.
Dr. Dorsi earned his Bachelors Degree in Neuroscience from The Johns Hopkins University and graduated Phi Beta Kappa with Highest Honors. He then earned a medical degree from The Johns Hopkins School of Medicine. While a student, he conducted groundbreaking research in the field of Neuropathic Pain and was awarded the Ronald Tasker Award from the American Association of Neurological Surgeons, the Harvey Cushing Award from the Johns Hopkins Department of Neurosurgery and was a research scholar of the American Association of Neurology. Dr. Dorsi then completed residency training in neurosurgery at The Johns Hopkins School of Medicine. During residency, completed a research fellowship from the California Institute of Regenerative Medicine at UCLA focused on spinal cord injury and stem cell transplantation. Following residency, Dr. Dorsi was honored as the recipient of the Cloward Fellowship for Spine and Peripheral Nerve Surgery from the American Academy of Neurological Surgery and completed a one-year minimally invasive and complex spine fellowship at UCLA.
Away from the practice, Dr. Dorsi enjoys spending time with his family, surfing, paddleboarding, skiing, and CrossFit.
Medical Board Certification
Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center
UCLA Santa Monica Medical Center
UCLA Resnick Neuropsychiatric Hospital
Areas of Focus
In the News
- Dr Michael Dorsi appointed to leadership role at UCLA (Becker's Spine Review registration required)
- Spine surgeon leader to know: Dr. Michael Dorsi of Ventura County Neurosurgical Associates (Becker's Spine Review registration required)
- Drs. Michael Dorsi, Mario Zuccarello & more: 9 spine, neurosurgeons making headlines (Becker's Spine Review registration required)
- Minimally Invasive Spine Surgeon of the Year: Sierra Spine Society, 2019
- Spine Surgeon of the Year, Community Memorial Hospital, 2018
- Alpha Omega Alpha, 2011
- Henry Dennison Medical Student Research Award: Johns Hopkins, 2003
- Harvey Cushing Medical Student Research Award: Johns Hopkins, 2002
- American Academy of Neurology Summer Research Scholar, 2001
- Phi Beta Kappa, 2000
- Nu Rho Psi National Neuroscience Honor Society, 1999
- Johns Hopkins University Provost Undergraduate Research Award, 1999
- Golden Key National Honor Society, 1999