Preferred Name: Paul M. Vespa, MD, FCCM, FAAN, FANA, FNCS
Assistant Dean of Critical Care Medicine, Research
Gary L. Brinderson Family Chair in Neurocritical Care
Professor In Residence of Neurosurgery and Neurology
Director of the Neurocritical Care Program.
As a neurointensive care specialist, Dr. Vespa focuses on critical care for the treatment of neurosurgical and stroke patients. Dr. Vespa is a Diplomate of the UCNS in Neurocritical Care and a Diplomate of the American Board of Pyschiatry and Neurology.
- Professor of Neurosurgery and Neurology, UCLA School of Medicine
- Director of Neurocritical Care
Membership, Medical Organizations
- United Council of Neurologic Subspecialties, Chair Person
- Neurocritical Care Society, Board of Directors, Executive Committee
- University of California Brain Injury Association
- National Stroke Association
- American Heart Association - Section on Stroke
- NACABI Founding Member, North American Consortium of Acute Brain Injury
- American Academy of Neurology (AAN)
- AAN Section of Emergency and Critical Care Neurology
- AAN Section on Clinical Neurophysiology
- AAN Section on Stroke
- Society of Critical Care Medicine
- California Chapter of The Society of Critical Care Medicine
Medical Board Certification
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Intracerebral Hemorrhage
- Brain Imaging (PET and MRI)
- Glenn TC, Martin NA, McArthur DL, Hovda D, Vespa PM, Horning MA, Johnson ML, Brooks GA. Endogenous nutritive support following traumatic brain injury: peripheral lactate production for glucose supply via gluconeogenesis. J Neurotrauma 2015 March PMID:25279664
- Chmayssani M, Stein NR, McArthur DL, Vespa PM. Therapeutic Intravascular Normothermia Reduces The Burden of Metabolic Crisis. Neurocrit Care. 2014 Oct 28. PMID:25348249.
- Goh SY, Irimia A, Torgerson CM, Tubi MA, Real CR, Hanley DF, Martin NA, Vespa PM, Van Horn JD. Longitudinal quantification and visualization of intracerebral haemorrhage using multimodal magnetic resonance and diffusion tensor imaging. Brain Inj. 2015; 29(4):438-45. PMID: 25518865
- Glenn TC, Martin NA, Horning MA, McArthur DL, Hovda DA, Vespa P, Brooks GA. Lactate: Brain Fuel in Human Traumatic Brain Injury: A Comparison with Normal Healthy Control Subjects. J Neurotrauma. 2015 Mar 31. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 25594628.
- Neville TH, Wiley JF, Holmboe ES, Tseng CH, Vespa P, Kleerup EC, Wenger NS. Differences between attendings' and fellows' perceptions of futile treatment in the intensive care unit at one academic health center: implications for training. Acad Med. 2015 Mar;90(3):324-30. PMID:25517700.
- Muschelli J, Ullman NL, Mould WA, Vespa P, Hanley DF, Crainiceanu CM. Validated automatic brain extraction of head CT images. Neuroimage. 2015 Apr 7. PIM: 25862260.
- Webb AJ, Ullman NL, Morgan TC, Muschelli J, Kornbluth J, Awad IA, Mayo S, Rosenblum M, Ziai W, Zuccarrello M, Aldrich F, John S, Harnof S, Lopez G, Broaddus WC, Wijman C, Vespa P, Bullock R, Haines SJ, Cruz-Flores S, Tuhrim S, Hill MD, Narayan R, Hanley DF; MISTIE and CLEAR Investigators. Accuracy of the ABC/2 Score for Intracerebral Hemorrhage: Systematic Review and Analysis of MISTIE, CLEAR-IVH, and CLEAR III. Stroke. 2015 Sep;46(9):2470-6. doi: 10.1161/STROKEAHA.114.007343. Epub 2015 Aug 4.
- Muschelli J, Ullman NL, Sweeney EM, Eloyan A, Martin N, Vespa P, Hanley DF, Crainiceanu CM. Quantitative Intracerebral Hemorrhage Localization. Stroke. 2015 Nov;46(11):3270-3. doi: 10.1161/STROKEAHA.115.010369. Epub 2015 Oct 8.
- Vespa P, Tubi M, Claassen J, Blanco M, McArthur D, Velazquez AG, Tu B, Prins M, Nuwer M. Metabolic Crisis occurs with Seizures and Periodic Discharges after Brain Trauma. Ann Neurol. 2016 Jan 27. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 26814699
- Neurocritical Care Society Presidential Citation 2019
- Presidential Citation from the Neurocritical Care Society
- Board of Directors of Unified Council of Neurologic Subspecialities
- Fellow of the American College of Critical Care Medicine
- SCCM Neuroscience Award Winner