Associate Professor-in-Residence of Surgery and Bioengineering
Director, UCLA Adult ECMO Program
Association Program Director, UCLA Thoracic Surgery Residency Program
Director, UCLA Cardiovascular Outcomes Research Laboratories
Division of Cardiac Surgery
David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
Dr. Peyman Benharash specializes in the treatment of acquired cardiac diseases in adults. He has an active practice that ranges from traditional cardiac surgeries to minimally invasive, hybrid, and catheter-based therapies for heart disease. He is the director of the Extracorporeal Life Support (ECMO) Program at UCLA and has made great strides in making this technology available widely throughout Southern California. More recently, he has brought minimal access arrhythmia surgery to UCLA, a method that reduces pain and blood loss while highly effective in the treatment of atrial fibrillation.
His research interests include health services research using national databases with a focus on cardiovascular outcomes. Dr. Benharash's laboratory is heavily involved with development of noninvasive physiologic sensors as well as the design of physics-based models for virtual surgery. Dr Benharash believes that patients will continue to greatly benefit from innovations that span multiple disciplines.
Dr. Benharash earned his undergraduate, graduate, and medical degrees from UCLA. He completed general surgery training at UCLA and spent time at Stanford University performing leading-edge research in stem cell therapies for cardiovascular applications. Dr. Benharash returned to UCLA to complete specialized training in cardiothoracic surgery and has remained on the faculty. He is the principal investigator on two major grants funded by the United States Department of Defense and is a co-investigator on several interdisciplinary projects for discovery in heart disease. Dr. Benharash has received a teaching award every year that he has served on the faculty at UCLA and was recently honored by the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA with the Kaiser-Permanente Award for Excellence in Education. He also received a 2015 UCLA Health Teaching Humanism Award. His work has been widely published and he is a member of numerous professional organizations, including the Society of University Surgeons and Society of Thoracic Surgeons. He is currently serving as the President of the California Society of Thoracic Surgeons.
Membership in Professional Societies:
Association for Academic Surgery (AAS)
Society of Thoracic Surgeons (STS)
International Society for Minimally Invasive Cardiothoracic Surgery (ISMICS)
Southern California Chapter of the American College of Surgeons
Pacific Coast Surgical Association
Society of University Surgeons
Western Thoracic Surgical Association
Patient StoriesThank you, Dr. Harari (and Dr. Benharash)
Medical Board Certification
- Health Services Research
- Cardiac Tissue Engineering using Stem Cells
- Cardiopulmonary Bypass
- Kidney Damage after Cardiac Surgery
- Role of Antioxidants in Mitigating the Effects of Bypass
- Acupuncture in Myocardial Injury
- Cardiovascular Simulation
- Sanaiha Y, Ou R, Ramos G, Juo YY, Shemin RJ, Benharash P. Day of Discharge Does Not Impact Hospital Readmission After Major Cardiac Surgery. Ann Thorac Surg. 2018 Dec;106(6):1767-1773. PubMed PMID: 30318161
- Mukdad L, Toppen W, Nguyen S, Kim K, Mendelsohn AH, Zarrinpar A, Benharash P. A Targeted Swallow Screen for the Detection of Postoperative Dysphagia in LiverTransplant Patients. Prog Transplant. 2018 Dec 4: Epub PubMed PMID: 30514164.
- Rudasill SE, Iyengar A, Kwon OJ, Sanaiha Y, Dobaria V, Benharash P. Recipient working status is independently associated with outcomes in heart and lung transplantation. Clin Transplant. 2019 Feb;33(2):e13462 PubMed PMID: 30548687.
- Bailey KL, Merchant N, Seo YJ, Elashoff D, Benharash P, Yanagawa Short-Term Readmissions After Open, Thoracoscopic, and Robotic Lobectomy for Lung Cancer Based on the Nationwide Readmissions Database. J.World J Surg. 2019 May;43(5):1377-1384 PubMed PMID: 30603764
- Mukdad L, Kashani R, Mantha A, Sareh S, Mendelsohn A, Benharash P. The Incidence of Dysphagia Among Patients Undergoing TAVR With Either General Anesthesia or Moderate Sedation. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2019 Jan; 33(1):45-50. Epub 2018 May 26. PubMed PMID: 30057252.
- Juo YY, Sanaiha Y, Khrucharoen U, Tillou A, Dutson E, Benharash P. Complete Impact of Care Fragmentation on Readmissions Following Urgent Abdominal Operations. J Gastrointest Surg. 2019 Jan 8. PubMed PMID: 30623376
- Juo YY, Sanaiha Y, Khrucharoen U, Chang BH, Dutson E, Benharash P. Care fragmentation is associated with increased short-term mortality during postoperative readmissions: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Surgery. 2019 Mar;165(3):501-509. PubMed PMID: 30638610.
- Aguayo E, Lyons R, Juo YY, Bailey KL, Seo YJ, Dobaria V, Sanaiha Y, Benharash P. Impact of New-Onset Postoperative Depression on Readmission Outcomes After Surgical Coronary Revascularization. J Surg Res. 2019 Jan; 233:50-56. PubMed PMID: 30502287.
- Sanaiha Y, Bailey K, Downey P, Seo YJ, Aguayo E, Dobaria V, Shemin RJ, Benharash P. Trends in mortality and resource utilization for extracorporeal membrane oxygenation in the United States: 2008-2014. Surgery. 2019 Feb; 165(2):381-388. PubMed PMID: 30253872.
- Li L, Maccabi A, Abiri A, Juo YY, Zhang W, Chang YJ, Saddik GN, Jin L, Grundfest WS, Dutson EP, Eldredge JD, Benharash P, Candler RN. Characterization of perfused and sectioned liver tissue in a full indentation cycle using a visco-hyperelastic model. J Mech Behav Biomed Mater. 2019 Feb;90:591-603. PubMed PMID: 30500697
- Sanaiha Y, Khoury H, Kavianpour B, Yazdani S, Gowland L, Iyengar A, Juo YY, Benharash P. Impact of Approach and Hospital Volume on Cardiovascular Complications After Pulmonary Lobectomy. J Surg Res. 2019 Mar;235:202-209. PubMed PMID: 30691795
- Seo YJ, Sanaiha Y, Bailey KL, Aguayo E, Chao A, Shemin RJ, Benharash P. Outcomes and Resource Utilization in Robotic Mitral Valve Repair: Beyond the Learning Curve. J Surg Res. 2019 Mar;235:258-263. PubMed PMID: 30691804
- Rudasill SE, Sanaiha Y, Mardock AL, Khoury H, Xing H, Antonios JW, McKinnell JA, Benharash P. Clinical Outcomes of Infective Endocarditis in Injection Drug Users. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2019 Feb 12;73(5):559-570. PubMed PMID: 30732709.
- Aguayo E, Lyons R, Sanaiha Y, Benharash P. Response to Letter by Lauren L. Traill, MD: "Regarding Depression and Its Association With Better Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting Outcomes in Patients Readmitted to the Hospital". J Surg Res. 2019 Feb 8. PubMed PMID: 30745180.
- Sanaiha Y, Bailey KL, Aguayo E, Seo YJ, Dobaria V, Lin AY, Benharash P. Racial Disparities in the Incidence of Pulmonary Embolism after Colectomy. Am Surg. 2018 Oct 1;84(10):1560-1564. PubMed PMID: 30747669
- Seo YJ, Bailey K, Aguayo E, Juo YY, Sanaiha Y, Dobaria V, Benharash P, Lin A. Readmissions after Ileostomy Creation Using a Nationwide Database. Am Surg. 2018 Oct 1;84(10):1661-1664. PubMed PMID: 30747690
- Sanaiha Y, Mantha A, Ziaeian B, Juo YY, Shemin RJ, Benharash P. Trends in Readmission and Costs After Transcatheter Implantation Versus Surgical Aortic Valve Replacement in Patients With Renal Dysfunction. Am J Cardiol. 2019 May 1;123(9):1481-1488. PubMed PMID: 30826049
- Rudasill SE, Iyengar A, Sanaiha Y, Khoury H, Mardock AL, Xing H, Kwon MH, Hunter C, Benharash P. Pre transplant malignancy among lung transplant recipients in the modern era. Surgery. 2019 June;165(6):1228-1233. PubMed PMID: 30827490
- Khoury H, Morales RR, Sanaiha Y, Rudasill S, Jaman R, Gelabert H, Benharash P.Trends in mortality, readmissions, and complications after endovascular and open infrainguinal revascularization. Surgery. 2019 Jun;165(6):1222-1227. PubMed PMID: 31072666.
- Sanaiha Y, Kavianpour B, Downey P, Morchi R, Shemin RJ, Benharash P. National Study of Index and Readmission Mortality and Costs for Thoracic Endovascular Aortic Repair in Patients with Renal Disease. Ann Thorac Surg. 2019 Jul 20. pii: S0003-4975(19)31037-9. PubMed PMID: 31336063.
- Sanaiha Y, Rudasill S, Sareh S, Mardock A, Khoury H, Ziaeian B, Shemin R, Benharash P. Impact of hospital safety-net status on failure to rescue after major cardiac surgery. Surgery. 2019 Jul 12. PubMed PMID: 31307773.
- Sanaiha Y, Rudasill S, Sareh S, Mardock A, Khoury H, Ziaeian B, Shemin R, Benharash P. Impact of hospital safety-net status on failure to rescue aftermajor cardiac surgery. Surgery. 2019 Jul 12. pii: S0039-6060(19)30307-1. PubMed PMID: 31307773.
- Rudasill SE, Sanaiha Y, Xing H, Mardock AL, Khoury H, Jaman R, Ebrahimi R, Benharash P. Association of Autoimmune Connective Tissue Disease and Outcomes in Patients Undergoing Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation. Am J Cardiol. 2019May 15;123(10):1675-1680. 2019 Feb 22. PubMed PMID: 30850212.
- Juo YY, Sanaiha Y, Jabaji Z, Benharash P. Trends in Diverting Loop Ileostomy vs Total Abdominal Colectomy as Surgical Management for Clostridium DifficileColitis. JAMA Surg. 2019 Jul 3. PubMed PMID: 31268492; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC6613305.
- Khoury H, Sanaiha Y, Rudasill SE, Mardock AL, Sareh S, Benharash P. Readmissions Following Isolated Coronary Artery Bypass Graft Surgery in the United States (from the Nationwide Readmissions Database 2010 to 2014). Am J Cardiol. 2019 Jul 15;124(2):205-210. 2019 Apr 23. PubMed PMID: 31104778.
- Sanaiha Y, Kavianpour B, Mardock A, Khoury H, Downey P, Rudasill S, Benharash P. Rehospitalization and resource use after inpatient admission for extracorporeal life support in the United States. Surgery. 2019 Jul 2. pii:S0039-6060(19)30271-5. PubMed PMID: 31277884.
- Bailey KL, Mantha A, Sanaiha Y, Mathias L, Benharash P, Ebrahimi R.Short-Term Outcomes After Percutaneous Coronary Intervention in Patients With Autoimmune Vasculitides. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2019 Jul 9;74 (1):159-160. PubMed PMID: 31272540.
- Mardock AL, Ragalie WS, Rudasill SE, Sanaiha Y, Benharash P. Impact of Donor Diabetes on Outcomes of Lung Transplantation in the United States. J Surg Res.2019 Jul 6;244:146-152. PubMed PMID: 31288183.
In the News
Thank you, Dr. Harari (and Dr. Benharash)
TAVR Costs Rising As SAVR Price Falls (Medpage Today)
Conscious Sedation in TAVR Cuts Costs by 25%, Boosts Patient Satisfaction (tctmd.com)
At UCLA, it's medicine 2.0 (UCLA Newsroom)
Note: News links may expire without notice.
- Super Doctors® Southern California 2022
- Super Doctors® Southern California Rising Stars 2016
- 2013 Award for Excellence in Patient-Centered-Care, Greater Los Angeles VA Healthcare System
- 2011, 2012 Teacher of the Year Award, UCLA Cardiothoracic Residency Program
- 2010 Rosenberg Humanitarian Award, UCLA Cardiothoracic Residency Program
- 2008 Teaching-Resident-of-the-Year Award, Harbor-UCLA General Surgery
- 2006 Stanford Cardiovascular Institute SEED Grant, Stanford University
- 2004 Surgical Jeopardy, American College of Surgeons, 2nd place
- 2002 The William Dignam Award for Excellence in Obstetrics and Gynecology, UCLA School of medicine
- 2002 Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Society
- 2001 STTP Summer Research Fellowship, UCLA School of Medicine
- 1998 Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society
- 1998 Arthur Furst Memorial Scholarship for Outstanding Research, UCLA Department of Chemistry
- 1998 Graduate Student Teaching Award, UCLA Department of Chemistry
- 1998 Ramsey Prize for Excellence in Physical Chemistry
- 1997 Alpha Chi Sigma Society Summer Research Grant, UCLA Department of Chemistry
- 1997 UCLA Association of Chemists and Biochemists Research Scholarship
- 1995 Presidential Undergraduate Fellowship for Outstanding Research