Dr. Rebecca Hicks is an attending pediatric endocrinologist and the Medical Director at the Miller Children's Hospital Endocrine and Diabetes Center. She earned her B.S. in Biochemistry and Minor in English at UCLA, worked as a Validation Engineer at a pharmaceutical company for two years, then earned her degree in medicine from the University of Southern California, where she was selected for membership in the Alpha Omega Alpha honor society. She completed her residency training and chief residency with UCI's Pediatrics Residency program, followed by a fellowship in Pediatric Endocrinology at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center in Torrance, California. During fellowship, she participated in a two-week Endocrine Fellows Foundation preceptorship at the NIH.
Dr. Hicks is board-certified in Pediatrics and Pediatric Endocrinology. She sees every interaction with children and parents as an opportunity to make a positive, lasting impact in their lives. Her Special Interests include Pubertal and Menstrual Disorders, Cystic Fibrosis (endocrine complications), Pituitary Disorders, Endocrine Disorders associated with genetic syndromes, and Diabetes Mellitus (including CGMs and Insulin Pump therapy).
Medical Board Certifications
Areas of Focus
- Cystic Fibrosis
- Diabetes Mellitus
- Quality Improvement
- Le-Bucklin KT, Hicks R, Wong, A. "Impact of a Teaching Rotation on Residents' Attitudes Toward Teaching: a 5- year Study." J Grad Med Educ. 2011 June;3(2):253-255. PMID#: 22655153.
- Hicks R, Yee JK, Mao CS, Graham S, Kharrazi M, Lorey F and Lee WP. "Precursor-to-Product Ratios Reflect Biochemical Phenotype In Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia." Metabolomics. 2013 June;9(3). ISSN 1573-3882, DOI 10.1007/s11306-013-0558-1. PMID#: 24489528.
- Yee J, Mao C, Ross M, Lee WN, Desai M, Toda A, Kjos S, Hicks R, and Patterson M. "High oleic/stearic fatty acid desaturation index in cord plasma from infants of mothers with gestational diabetes." Journal of Perinatology 34, 357- 363 (May 2014), doi:10.1038/jp.2014.23. PMID#: 24577432.
- Tieh PY, Yee JK, Hicks RA, Mao CS and Lee W-NP. "Utility of a precursor-to-product ratio in the evaluation of presumptive positives in newborn screening of congenital adrenal hyperplasia." Journal of Perinatology , (8 December 2016) | doi:10.1038/jp.2016.223. PMID#: 27929529 Obtained IRB approval, helped develop the assay, performed the assay on the specimens, compiled and analyzed the data, participated in manuscript preparation.
- Andrew Gianoukakis, Teeranun Jirajariyavej, Rebecca Hicks, Jennifer Yee. Chapter 7, "Pregnancy and childhood thyroid eye disease," in Thyroid Eye Disease, editor Douglas R, McCoy A, Gupta S, Springer New York, 2014.
- Super Doctors® Southern California Rising Stars 2021
- Super Doctors® Southern California Rising Stars 2020
- 2018 Memorialcare "Simply Better" Award (Miller Children's Hospital)
- Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA), Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California chapter, 2005-present