Shahram Yazdani, MD is a Clinical Professor of Pediatrics at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA. After completing his undergraduate degree in Chemistry and post-bachelorette in biology at the University of California Irvine, he continued his research as a surface chemist for better detection and understanding of toxic gases, a field that he continues to pursue as a physician. He subsequently obtained his medical degree from the Tulane School of Medicine and completed his pediatric residency and fellowship in medical education at the David Geffen School of Medicine and Mattel Children's Hospital at UCLA.
Dr. Yazdani's clinical and teaching responsibilities heavily emphasize rare and complex diseases, as well as the environmental causes of ailments in children. He is a regular lecturer for medical students, residents, and community physicians. In addition to his clinical and educational responsibilities, he serves as the Director of Children's Health Center, Associate Chief of Clinical Affairs in the Division of General Pediatrics, and sits on multiple healthcare management and education boards such as the Graduate Medical Education board.
Dr. Yazdani's research and scholarly work stem from his clinical interests and expertise. He is the chief editor of two clinical textbooks titled "Chronic Complex Diseases of Childhood", and "Pediatric Board Review", and has published various articles and chapters on related subjects, such as pain and palliation in children, rare diseases in children, and air pollution in schools.
- Medical Education
- Health impact of airport-related air pollution in children living in the surrounding communities.
- Beatriz Lopez-Miranda MD; Sjirk J. Westra MD; Shahram Yazdani MD; M. Ines Boechat MD "Noonan syndrome associated with neuroblastoma: a case report" Pediatric Radiology. Vol. 27, PP. 324-26 1997
- Ravi Jhaveri MD; Raman Sankar MD, Ph.D; Shahram Yazdani, MD; James D. Cherry, MD "Varicella-zoster virus: an overlooked cause of aseptic meningitis" The Pediatric Infectious disease Journal, 2003; 22(1):96-97
- Arpi Bekmezian, MD; Paul J. Chung, MD, MS; Shahram Yazdani, "Staff-Only Pediatric Hospitalist Care of Medically Complex Subspecialty Patients in a Major Teaching Hospital" Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine 2008;162(10):975-980.
- Arpi Bekmezian, Paul J. Chung, Shahram Yazdani Published Online: "Standardized admission order set improves perceived quality of pediatric inpatient care" Journal of Hospital Medicine (p 90-96) Feb 13 2009
- Yazdani A, Evan E, Chung PJ, Roubinov D, Zeltzer L."A longitudinal method of teaching pediatric palliative care to interns: Preliminary findings regarding changes in interns' comfort level." Journal of Palliative and Supportive Care 2010, 8:35-40 Cambridge University Press.
- Harrison J, Evan E, Hughes A, Yazdani S, Federman M, Harrison R, "Understanding communication among health care professionals regarding death and dying in pediatrics" Palliative and Supportive Care August 2013, Aug 6:1-6
- Yazdani S, Yee CT, Chung P, "Factors Predicting Exercise among Children with Special Needs" Preventing Chronic Disease 2013 Jul 18;10:E119. doi: 10.5888/pcd10.12028
- Bavisetty S, Grody W, Yazdani S, "Emergence of Pediatric Rare Diseases: Review of Present Policies and Opportunities for Improvement" Rare Diseases March 2013, 1(1): (1-5)
- Ischander M, Fan LL, Farahmand V, Langston C, Yazdani S. "Desquamative Interstitial Pneumonia in a Child Related to Cigarette Smoke." Pediatric Pulmonology 2013 Jun 17. doi: 10.1002/ppul.22812. [Epub ahead of print].
- Yazdani S, Zeltzer L" Treatment of Chronic Pain in Children and Adolescents" Pain Management December 2012 (Invited article) July 2013 3(4): 303-314.
- Neerhoot UCLA Department of Pediatrics Award for Excellence and Contribution to medical education 2010, 2013
- Letter of appreciation, Senator Ted Lieu for presenting the data regarding the effect of Jet propulsion pollution in children, 2011
- Letter of appreciation, Congresswoman Jane Harman for presenting the data regarding the clinical health effect of SM airport on children, 2010