Shangxin Yang, PhD
Dr. Yang is a molecular biologist and clinical microbiologist. He has extensive experience in molecular diagnostics and clinical virology. He is also a pioneer in the clinical applications of Next-generation Sequencing (NGS) in infectious diseases. Dr. Yang developed and implemented numerous cutting-edge molecular microbiological tests, including a 16S metagenomic sequencing test for the detection of bacterial pathogens in body fluid and tissue, and ITS metagenomic sequencing test for fungal pathogen identification in FFPE tissues, and a whole-genome sequencing test for Mycobacterium abscessus drug resistance prediction.
Dr. Yang graduated from the University of Southern California with a Ph.D. degree in Molecular Biology and Biochemistry in 2006. He received Clinical Microbiology Fellowship training at UCLA (2014-2016) and became board certified by the American Board of Medical Microbiology (ABMM) in 2016. He joined the University of New Mexico in 2016 as an Assistant Professor of Pathology, where he served as the Associate Medical Director of Infectious Diseases and the Director of Molecular Microbiology at the Tricore Reference Laboratory. He returned to UCLA in 2018 as an Assistant Clinical Professor in the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine and served as the Assistant Medical Director of the Clinical Microbiology Laboratory.
Dr. Yang's main expertise and research interests include molecular diagnostics and innovation, clinical virology, clinical applications of NGS, transplant-related infectious diseases testing, bacterial genomics, genomic epidemiology, and antimicrobial resistance (AMR) mechanisms and genotypic prediction. Dr. Yang also works closely with international collaborators in the investigation and monitoring of global emerging infectious diseases and novel AMR mechanisms.
Dr. Yang enjoys integrating clinical service, teaching, and research. He believes that sharing ideas and knowledge, plus teamwork is the best formula for success. His motto: "Always do your best and cherish what you have."
Medical Board Certification
- Adamson PC, Goodman-Meza D, Vijayan T, Yang S, Garner OB. Diagnostic yield of repeat testing for SARS-CoV-2: Experience from a large health system in Los Angeles. Int J Infect Dis 2020. PMID: 32835787
- Zhou H, Yang Q, Shen L, Yao Y, Xu J, Ye J, Wu X, Yu Y, Li Z, Zhou J, Yang S. Seawater-Associated Highly Pathogenic Francisella hispaniensis Infections Causing Multiple Organ Failure. Emerg Infect Dis 2020, 26:2424-2428. PMID: 32946719
- Chen J, Hilt EE, Li F, Wu H, Jiang Z, Zhang Q, Wang J, Wang Y, Li Z, Tang J, Yang S. Epidemiological and Genomic Analysis of SARS-CoV-2 in 10 Patients From a Mid-Sized City Outside of Hubei, China in the Early Phase of the COVID-19 Outbreak. Frontiers in Public Health 2020, 8. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpubh.2020.567621
- Amplicon-Based Next-Generation Sequencing for Detection of Fungi in Formalin-Fixed, Paraffin-Embedded Tissues: Correlation with Histopathology and Clinical Applications. Larkin PMK, Lawson KL, Contreras DA, Le CQ, Trejo M, Realegeno S, Hilt EE, Chandrasekaran S, Garner OB, Fishbein GA, Yang S. J Mol Diagn. 2020 Jul 29:S1525-1578(20)30406-2. doi: 10.1016/j.jmoldx.2020.06.017. Online ahead of print. PMID: 32738297
- A Collaborative Tale of Diagnosing and Treating Chronic Pulmonary Aspergillosis, from the Perspectives of Clinical Microbiologists, Surgical Pathologists, and Infectious Disease Clinicians. Larkin PMK, Multani A, Beaird OE, Dayo AJ, Fishbein GA, Yang S. J Fungi (Basel). 2020 Jul 11;6(3):E106. doi: 10.3390/jof6030106. PMID: 32664547
- Discovery of a Novel Hypervirulent Acinetobacter baumannii Strain in a Case of Community-Acquired Pneumonia. Zhou H, Larkin PMK, Huang J, Yao Y, Zhu B, Yang Q, Hua X, Zhou J, Yang S, Yu Y. Infect Drug Resist. 2020 Apr 21;13:1147-1153. doi: 10.2147/IDR.S244044. eCollection 2020. PMID: 32368105
- Clinical Impact of Metagenomic Next-Generation Sequencing of Plasma Cell-Free DNA for the Diagnosis of Infectious Diseases: A Multicenter Retrospective Cohort Study. Hogan CA, Yang S, Garner OB, Green DA, Gomez CA, Dien Bard J, Pinsky BA, Banaei N. Clin Infect Dis. 2020 Jan 14:ciaa035. doi: 10.1093/cid/ciaa035. Online ahead of print. PMID: 31942944
- Coinfections of Two Strains of NDM-1- and OXA-232-Coproducing Klebsiella pneumoniae in a Kidney Transplant Patient. Contreras DA, Fitzwater SP, Nanayakkara DD, Schaenman J, Aldrovandi GM, Garner OB, Yang S. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2020 Mar 24;64(4):e00948-19. doi: 10.1128/AAC.00948-19. Print 2020 Mar 24. PMID: 31527031
- Validation and Retrospective Clinical Evaluation of a Quantitative 16S rRNA Gene Metagenomic Sequencing Assay for Bacterial Pathogen Detection in Body Fluids. Culbreath K, Melanson S, Gale J, Baker J, Li F, Saebo O, Kommedal O, Contreras D, Garner OB, Yang S. J Mol Diagn. 2019 Sep;21(5):913-923. doi: 10.1016/j.jmoldx.2019.05.002. Epub 2019 Jun 21. PMID: 31229651
- Community acquired Stenotrophomonas maltophilia discitis: Diagnosis aided by shotgun metagenomic sequencing. Wang G, Xu N, Yang L, Zheng F, Sai L, Zhou J, Yang S. Int J Infect Dis. 2019 Apr;81:1-3. doi: 10.1016/j.ijid.2019.01.032. Epub 2019 Jan 23. PMID: 30684744 Huho AN, Yadak N, Bocklage TJ, Yang S. J Mol Diagn. 2018 Mar;20(2):232-239. doi: 10.1016/j.jmoldx.2017.11.008. Epub 2017 Dec 20. PMID: 29277636